Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
crazyfrank
crazyfrank began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Smile libraries multiple vs single?

hi there...new to board and cant find the answer to the following question.
ill use 50,000 books as a example.
is the any + or - to having 1 large library of 50,000 books or 10 libraries of 5000 books sorted by format??
thx for your help. love calibre.
crazyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfrank View Post
is the any + or - to having 1 large library of 50,000 books or 10 libraries of 5000 books sorted by format??
The performance will drop as the number of books goes up. But that comes into play only when the number of books runs in the tens of thousands. Calibre will handle a 50K library fine on a modern(ish) PC.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Splitting by Format make poor sense in most cases. What if you have 2 formats of a SINGLE title? They are now separated and the metadata is also.

If you must split, Pick something that clearly is separate and will not be needed at the same time (usually things, like a Dictionary): Fiction vs Non-Fiction. Cookbooks?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It is a bit unclear if you intend to split the libraries so each library only contain one format, or if you intend to split using some other criteria, and sort on formats in the separate libraries. Here I assume the latter.

To have books sorted by format is quite expensive. It typically means that when opening or switching library, Calibre starts checking every book in every book folder to see what formats there are for each book. This can be VERY time consuming. I don't think it matters much if the library is split or not. It will be faster to open a smaller library, but most likely you will switch often, so you still end up just as annoyed.

A better approach might be to convert books so you don't need to keep track of the formats. The main problem is PDFs. Typically it is hard to automatically convert a PDF to any other format. I have ended up converting everything to ePub, or keeping it as PDF. Since my main ereader, Mantano, handles both ePubs and PDFs, this works out great.

Another way to speed up sorting of books by format is to change how the sorting is done. The slow default way is to sort using a custom column that holds a value that is created by checking each book. This is slow but safe.

A faster way is to change the sort to use information already stored in the database, about the formats that are available. This is much faster, but not as safe. There is no check to see if every book actually still is there. If there was some problem with the actual books stored in the library, you may not discover that until it is too late to do anything about it.

You can read more about this here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...45#post2244745

Last edited by Adoby; 01-25-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
There are several comments in these forums that displaying Format leads to a noticeable performance decrease. This is somewhat compounded by having a large number of ebook records.

If you don't want to have a single large Library with all of your books, then splitting the Library by genre would be best. You're used to going into a bookstore or public library and having books separated in this manner.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Just to put things in perspective: I have a 4-year-old PC (closer to low-end than high-end), I have a library of 35,000 books, and I display formats. Performance of Calibre may not be fast as lightning, but it is acceptable by all means. Calibre starts up in about half a minute.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
crazyfrank
crazyfrank began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Smile

thanks for the quick reply. i have the answers im looking for.
crazyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie
Giuseppe Chillem doesn't litterGiuseppe Chillem doesn't litter

Device: IREX DR1000
Quote:
I have a dual processor, dual core each and 16GB of RAM.

My collection has rised to 70.000 books.

Calibre is a bit slow in this situation. Searching takes long time. But you will find it really slow when you modify fields like name or author. You could wait up to 10 second before the fields become editable after you click on it.

Personally I suggest to split the library by big topics: "Fiction", "Religion/history/arts", "Programming/Informatics", science "Mathematics/Phisics".

This would led to smaller and more manegeable libraries.

Also don't forget the "corruption factor". If the application crashes while modifying the library, a power loss happen, or if a phisical hard drive sectors failure accurs and the library is damaged as result you should rebuild the calibre library. It has happened to me and it took over 24 hours to rebuild it.

All I have written comes from real usage scenario and experience.

Last edited by Giuseppe Chillem; 01-26-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Giuseppe Chillem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have about 6k books in my library. Calibre handled them just fine, but I ran out of space on Dropbox. So I copied all 2010 books into a library called 2010 Books, not linked to Dropbox but backed up, and then removed the formats, but not the listing, in my main Calibre library. That way I only have to look one place to see if I have or have read the book, although I may have to go to 2008, 2009 or 2010 to get the book.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Chillem View Post
My collection has rised to 70.000 books.

Calibre is a bit slow in this situation. Searching takes long time. But you will find it really slow when you modify fields like name or author. You could wait up to 10 second before the fields become editable after you click on it.

Personally I suggest to split the library by big topics: "Fiction", "Religion/history/arts", "Programming/Informatics", science "Mathematics/Phisics".
Does using the Restrict to feature to restrict the library to one Genre have a positive effect on speed?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Does using the Restrict to feature to restrict the library to one Genre have a positive effect on speed?
Where do I find this option ?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Chillem View Post
Where do I find this option ?
Upper right corner.
It makes use of a Saved Search (created in upper Left corner)
Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Correction: The Restrict To button, usually grayed-out, is on the far left, on the same line as the Search field. It appears underneath the Add Books icon and above the Tag Browser's Find Tag field. At least this is the case on my visually non-modified system.

Perhaps theducks' window is different due to a theme or some kind of visual customization?

Restrict To works with saved searches. I had to ask about this myself and did so in the following topic: Way to Hide Search Bar, from message #6 onward. (The original topic itself is about something completely different; the part about Restrict To only occurs from my question and onward.)

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 01-27-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Correction: The Restrict To button, usually grayed-out, is on the far left, on the same line as the Search field. It appears underneath the Add Books icon and above the Tag Browser's Find Tag field. At least this is the case on my visually non-modified system.

Perhaps theducks' window is different due to a theme or some kind of visual customization?

Restrict To works with saved searches. I had to ask about this myself and did so in the following topic: Way to Hide Search Bar, from message #6 onward. (The original topic itself is about something completely different; the part about Restrict To only occurs from my question and onward.)
Just my head on backwards
Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
Giuseppe Chillem
Groupie

Hi, I have tried and the result is weird: pressing F2 to modify a field and then moving up or down takes more than 10 second. The same speed of a full library search. :-(