Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
boell
boell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
command line batch to change title etc.

Is it possible to write a batch file for the command line, that changes the author, title, series, or series n° of multiple books?

Together with friends I collect pulp fiction, and we maintain the books and stories in a calibre library. We do a lot of metadata-editing. Until now each of us updates his library manually. We are looking for a way to automate the metadata-update and got the idea, that this is perhaps possible with the calibre command line. But we don't know, how to write the proper commands and to put them in a batch file.

Your help is most appreciated.
boell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Yes, it is possible, you should use the command ebook-meta (calibre manual describes it).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
boell

Thanks for your response. I'd already found the 'ebook-meta' command in the manual. But I don't know how to use it. Can you or somebody else please give me an example how such a command actual would look like. (F.e. i want to change 'Edgar Rice Burroughs - The Man-Eater' from 'Jungle Tales 02' to 'Jungle Adventures 01')
Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
boell

No one, who can write this command line?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boell View Post
Thanks for your response. I'd already found the 'ebook-meta' command in the manual. But I don't know how to use it. Can you or somebody else please give me an example how such a command actual would look like. (F.e. i want to change 'Edgar Rice Burroughs - The Man-Eater' from 'Jungle Tales 02' to 'Jungle Adventures 01')
If Jungle Tales 02 is the series and index for this book than the following worked for me.

Code:
C:\Users\Walt>ebook-meta "C:\Dropbox\Calibre Portable\Calibre Library\Edgar Rice Burroughs\The Man-Eater (1898)\The Man-Eater - Edgar Rice Burroughs.epub" -s "Jungle Adventures" -i 1
Substitute your path and actual title as required.

Update: This updates the metadata in the book not the library.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-14-2012 at 10:16 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
boell

Thanks DoctorOhh, that helped a lot. If I see it right, the command needs the database id (in your example: 1898), so unfortunately it's not possible to write one edit batch and contribute it to everybody in our collectors group, because the id's are different for each members library, as we checked. But thanks again.

Last edited by boell; 10-14-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
It does not require the database id, this info is just part of the path. You could put your book in C:\ and it would work fine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote