Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Which eBook Reader on your iOS device?
Stanza 3.2 31 44.29%
Stanza 3.1 5 7.14%
Megareader 7 10.00%
Bluefire Reader 21 30.00%
ReadMe 2 2.86%
Shubooks 6 8.57%
MobiEbook 1 1.43%
Kobo 16 22.86%
Kindle 36 51.43%
Other (post name and link to it below) 18 25.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #31
kas23
kas23 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
We are on the eve of the release of ios 6. I expect Stanza is going to die again this time...for good. So sad, actually.

So, have people come up or discovered any Stanza replacements over the last year? My vote is for Shubooks, but even it isn't Stanza worthy.
kas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #32
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelley View Post
Actually, as a result of this thread I downloaded the latest Stanza and it does work with my iPad so I'm back to it.

As to the previous poster -- it may or may not be true that Stanza will never be updated, but I wouldn't count it completely out. 5.1 may not break Stanza -- it might take a complete update to something like a 6.x to do so, and that may not happen for a year or more. Who knows that advances in eReaders there will be by then?

The unfortunate thing is that Stanza has options that NO other reader does -- the ability to adjust indent, distance between paragraphs and line spacing all at the same time... no reader even offers anything like that (that I know of) let alone the superb collections. I played around with my wife's Fire and the highly touted Android app, Aldiko, is a poor substitute.

I don't see eReaders getting better, though -- has anyone seen Kindle offer MORE formatting features, even on Kindles? It appears that most folks are just happy with accepting the defaults (which for me are completely unacceptable).
There is a Facebook group called "revive stanza for iOS 5" and someone in the beta group for iOS 6 has confirmed that he is still able to use Stanza with the beta version...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #33
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I wish someone would do a port of cool reader from Android to iOS. When I had the TF tablet that was my sole reading app. Does pretty much every format I was interested in reading.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #34
kas23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
There is a Facebook group called "revive stanza for iOS 5" and someone in the beta group for iOS 6 has confirmed that he is still able to use Stanza with the beta version...
This is promising news. Do you know if Stanza will work on the latest beta, the iOS 6 GM that will be the final product?

The other minor problem is going to be with people who have opted to buy the iPhone 5, which has a taller screen. Developers will have to actively change their app to take advantage of the extra screen real estate. Otherwise, older apps will still work, but their will be black bars above and below the app's screen to occupy this added space.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #35
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I'm not sure that screen size would be aproblem because the same Stanza app works fine on iPads, there is no special stanza for tablets app...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #36
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
ibooks,
Kobo
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #37
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
We are on the eve of the release of ios 6. I expect Stanza is going to die again this time...for good. So sad, actually.

So, have people come up or discovered any Stanza replacements over the last year? My vote is for Shubooks, but even it isn't Stanza worthy.
I'm probably going with a Galaxy S3 w/Mantano I am ready for a new phone and was totally underwhelmed with the new iPhone.

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #38
jesse_the_k
jesse_the_k began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 4G, (AlphaSmart DANA died)
I'm using iBooks, Kindle, and QuickReader. But each is missing a crucial feature that my favorite reader supports: Instapaper. Instapaper lets you create folders (and then export entire folders as ePubs); easy text selection and copying; dictionary lookups; tap links in the book to open a simple browser; "like" books that toggle an external bookmark system (I use Pinboard) and perhaps the killer feature, automatic scroll.

IOW, I want an Instapaper for ePUBs and DRM books. iBooks comes close, but the clunky organization and super-slow load times make me cranky. Bluefire Reader's text options are not optimal, and I can't click links. Quickreader provides the scroll, but no links, and no text selection.

I just checked and "ePub reader" returns 100 items in the iTunes Store.
jesse_the_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #39
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_the_k View Post

I just checked and "ePub reader" returns 100 items in the iTunes Store.
I did that too, most are junk. There are a few very usable ones, but most are useless because even though they say English is a language option, its only in the books that can be read and the interface remains in the language of the developer (usually an Asian language and I just cant read character based languages... sigh..)

Your needs are extensive and different to most. Good luck!
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #40
kas23

According to this site:

https://getsatisfaction.com/stanza/t..._compatibility

Stanza will still work with ios6. A user tried Stanza in the final release of ios6 (GM) and it still works!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #41
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
According to this site:

https://getsatisfaction.com/stanza/t..._compatibility

Stanza will still work with ios6. A user tried Stanza in the final release of ios6 (GM) and it still works!
Brilliant news. Gives those developers a bit more time to catch up to Stanza so maybe on the next update from each of them it might make a viable change. Sooner or later, Stanza will stop working...
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #42
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
iBook!
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #43
kas23

OK guys, iOS 6 has been officially released. Who's daring enough to upgrade and try Stanza out?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #44
sglinert
Enthusiast
sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPod Touch 5, Illudium Q-42 Explosive Space Modulator
I agree. It's very close to Stanza in functionality and the developer responded to my single whine in a couple of hours. I hate the dictionary pop-up, because it doesn't highlight the word and you have to go hunt for it again. Other than that, it was a fairly seamless transition. I still use Stanza as my primary reader, but I use ShuBook as the backup app when Stanza won't load a file.
sglinert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #45
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
OK guys, iOS 6 has been officially released. Who's daring enough to upgrade and try Stanza out?

I rather not! I have heard some not so good news about iOS6... i might give me some stress!
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote