Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #421
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab
So...

I recently bricked my Kindle so bad that actually, for the first time, I had to resort to reflashing it (because I couldn't even get it to boot to diags using ENABLE_DIAGS anymore... the device would simply not react at all on any "normal" boot).

It was actually a PITA and took 5 hours to merely find and install all those Windows drivers, but once Windows was convinced that it could actually work, everything went smoothly. BTW, geekmaster: thanks a ton for all the work you put into this!

Anyway... during that procedure, I reinitialized everything from scratch, went back to 5.0.0 from a forensic image, and then upgraded to 5.1.0.

ixtab
Added to the "success reports" list.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #422
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

UPDATE: The main forensic images site contains URLs for main 5.1.0 to replace the dead link, plus another main 5.1.0 with jailbreak and ssh pre-installed.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #423
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Windows debricking tools & drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I recently bricked my Kindle so bad that actually, for the first time, I had to resort to reflashing it (because I couldn't even get it to boot to diags using ENABLE_DIAGS anymore... the device would simply not react at all on any "normal" boot).

It was actually a PITA and took 5 hours to merely find and install all those Windows drivers, but once Windows was convinced that it could actually work, everything went smoothly. BTW, geekmaster: thanks a ton for all the work you put into this!

Anyway... during that procedure, I reinitialized everything from scratch, went back to 5.0.0 from a forensic image, and then upgraded to 5.1.0.
I'm attaching the tools and drivers that I required on my machine to get everything running correctly. As described above, it did indeed take about 5h (from a more-or-less pristine WinXP/SP3 installation) until I had found the correct files, and the correct order to install them

I'm attaching the files which worked for me. I tend to "document" such installations in a minimal way, by putting the working files in appropriately named directories (by installation order). There is even a minimal README in here (but not much more).

As said, these files worked on my device. I'm publishing them in the hope that they may somehow be useful for you as well, in the sense that they could hopefully spare you from some of the searching that I needed to do. However, you're still required to make sense of this by yourself, and probably to adapt parts of it.

I do not provide ANY guarantee or support for this, I do not take ANY responsibility for your actions, etc.
... In short: this was the first time in more than a year that I even used Windows at all; in fact, I have no clue why anybody would voluntarily use that OS. In any case, I can't help any further with Windows.

Legal: the attached file contains software obtained from various sources. All of the software contained in the attached bundle is freely available.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WinXP-SP3-debrick-tools+drivers.zip (1.74 MB, 2208 views)

Last edited by ixtab; 12-27-2012 at 05:57 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #424
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Just a little addition to that 2nd-last post: I'm attaching the tools and drivers that I required on my machine to get everything running correctly. As described in the above post, it did indeed take about 5h (from a more-or-less pristine WinXP/SP3 installation) until I had found the correct files, and the correct order to install them

I'm attaching the files which worked for me. I tend to "document" such installations in a minimal way, by putting the working files in appropriately named directories (by installation order). There is even a minimal README in here.

As said, these files worked on my device. I'm publishing them in the hope that they may somehow be useful for you as well, in the sense that they could hopefully spare you from some of the searching that I needed to do. However, you're still required to make sense of this by yourself, and probably to adapt parts of it.

I do not provide ANY guarantee or support for this, I do not take ANY responsibility, etc. In short: this was the first time in more than a year that I even used Windows at all; in fact, I have no clue why somebody would voluntarily use that OS, and in any case, I can't help any further.

Legal: the attached file contains software obtained from various sources. All of the software contained in the attached bundle is freely available.
Your post above is now the second link in the "References and Links" list in the first post in this thread. Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-13-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #425
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You post above is now the second link in the "References and Links" list in the first post in this thread. Thanks.
Woohoo!

That almost feels like I landed a smash hit -- I've only been keeping an eye on this thread for months... then for once, I actually needed it, and it actually worked. So I just felt like I had to give at least something back.

(And now... I'll slightly update the corresponding post to be a bit more self-contained).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #426
Loko_bielsa
Loko_bielsa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Hi

I follow this guide, but i get this black screen:

Help me please.
Loko_bielsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #427
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loko_bielsa View Post
Hi

I follow this guide, but i get this black screen:

Help me please.
Cross posting is a bad violation of forum etiquette. Especially by starting a new thread when there is already a thread devoted to it (this one).

Charge the battery as I said in your cross-post thread.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-16-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #428
laime
laime began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
can you please make dump mmcblk0p2 version 5.1.0 for Kindle Touch 3G for me ?
laime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #429
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by laime View Post
can you please make dump mmcblk0p2 version 5.1.0 for Kindle Touch 3G for me ?
The kindles use the same firmware for 3G and for wifi-only models. The posted 5.1.0 mmcblk0p2 forensic images support K5 with or without 3G. See the "forensic images" pastebin linked from the first post in this thread.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-16-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #430
laime

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The kindles use the same firmware for 3G and for wifi-only models. The posted 5.1.0 mmcblk0p2 forensic images support K5 with or without 3G. See the "forensic images" pastebin linked from the first post in this thread.
I tried mmcblk0p2 5.1.0, it doesn't work for me, I have kindle touch 3G, after flashing tree with a boy appears and diags menu doesn't load. I also tried flashing kernel
Old 07-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #431
geekmaster

Quote:
I tried mmcblk0p2 5.1.0, it doesn't work for me, I have kindle touch 3G, after flashing tree with a boy appears and diags menu doesn't load. I also tried flashing kernel.
The "tree with boy" is main mode. Try booting to diags with MfgTool and tell us whether that worked. If it did, then try setting bootmode to diags with fastboot. Report your results. And be sure your battery is fully charged.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #432
laime

Is Kindle Touch 3G c firmware 5.1.0. I want change firmware to 5.0.*. In MfgTool chose "Kindle fastboot", in fastboot mode, flashed mmcblk0p2 to version 5.1.0 with SSH, and put boot into diag "fastboot setvar bootmode diags" and "fastboot reboot", after reboot appears tree with boy. I tried load diag mode in MfgTool, but it does not work. If choose in MfgTool "kindle main" to loaded main menu Kindle. Battery is fully charged. Diags menu don't work.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #433
geekmaster

Quote:
Is Kindle Touch 3G c firmware 5.1.0. I want change firmware to 5.0.*. In MfgTool chose "Kindle fastboot", in fastboot mode, flashed mmcblk0p2 to version 5.1.0 with SSH, and put boot into diag "fastboot setvar bootmode diags" and "fastboot reboot", after reboot appears tree with boy. I tried load diag mode in MfgTool, but it does not work. If choose in MfgTool "kindle main" to loaded main menu Kindle. Battery is fully charged. Diags menu don't work.
You may have mismatched diags partition and kernel versions. Try flashing 5.1.0 diags_kernel.

EDIT: I do not see a 5.1.0 diags kernel, so flash 5.0.0 diags and 5.0.0 diags_kernel instead. See if that works. This is the way most successful debricking reports said they did it. You can always flash old firmware, then do an official update to new firmware.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-17-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #434
Loko_bielsa
Loko_bielsa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
1. Sorry for the 2 post, i dont know that.
2. I followed your steps, and the black screen has not changed. But sometimes appeared low battery icon in fastboot mode. Then look in the Diagnostic mode, battery option and got this:

the device battery level of 66 is acceptable shipping within The range 45-75.

Again, sorry for the double post, and I want to try anything.
Loko_bielsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #435
geekmaster

This discussion is split between two threads because you cross-posted. For anybody trying to follow this discussion (including myself) we have to search for your other thread. To make it easier, here is the link I just found to your other thread that contains part of this discussion:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184989

Tags
debricking