Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
sean.fosterbrown
Enthusiast
sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Touch
Question Possible File Browser for Kindle

Hello everyone. I was using CoolReader today,and the open file interface is very much like a file browser. I really would like a file browser for the Kindle; for no other reason but to go through the various files on my Kindle. Could one of the people who understand the Kindle fix this up for us? Tnx :
sean.fosterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
I use Matan's terminal together with Midnight Commander for that purpose.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
/opt/var/local/waf/browser/js/fileManager.js

Take a look at that.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
sean.fosterbrown
Enthusiast
sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Good idea. However, for some inexplicable reason, when I installed it and pressed the required keys, nothing happened. Do I have to use the web browser or something? Forgive my nubness.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.fosterbrown View Post
Good idea. However, for some inexplicable reason, when I installed it and pressed the required keys, nothing happened. Do I have to use the web browser or something? Forgive my nubness.
you should be quick on pressing key sequences. (also don't forget to press [shift shift space] to register a new key sequence)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
So using Midnight Commander (by centaurian) works with the latest terminal from Matan, myts-6? I noticed some myts files in the Midnight Commander's '/mnt/us/local/terminal/' directory, and just want to make sure the latest myts, which is installed in '/mnt/us/myts/' works just fine. Does that mean I ignore the older terminal folder, '/mnt/us/local/terminal/', and instead use '/mnt/us/myts/''s terminal, and then once I opne it as I normally would, open midnight commander, possibly via '/mnt/us/local/mc/bin/mc', since it looks as though that is the main 'exe' of the program?

And what might a good shortcut for an '.ini' be to get it running?

Also, to dasmoover, what should I look at here?:

/opt/var/local/waf/browser/js/fileManager.js

Last edited by inameiname; 12-21-2011 at 07:53 PM.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
sean.fosterbrown
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Post Deleted
Old 12-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
sean.fosterbrown
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
you should be quick on pressing key sequences. (also don't forget to press [shift shift space] to register a new key sequence)
...I am on the verge of selling all my electronics and joining an anti-tech cult. Woould someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I:
1. Downloaded myts-6.zip.
2. Plugged my Kindle into my computer
3. Unzipped the file to my Kindle's root folder with 7z.
4. Pressed shift shift space, saw the success message.
5. Pressed shift t t as quickly as possible.
6. NOTHING HAPPENS.

Wat Do?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
I've just tried and it works well

are you sure that:
myts.l.ini goes to your launchpad folder
myts folder goes to Kindle's usb root?

Last edited by thomass; 12-21-2011 at 08:23 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
sean.fosterbrown
Enthusiast

OK I found my problem-I forgot to install the launchpad INI file. Yay!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
...I am on the verge of selling all my electronics and joining an anti-tech cult. Woould someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I:
1. Downloaded myts-6.zip.
2. Plugged my Kindle into my computer
3. Unzipped the file to my Kindle's root folder with 7z.
4. Pressed shift shift space, saw the success message.
5. Pressed shift t t as quickly as possible.
6. NOTHING HAPPENS.

Wat Do?
Quote:
OK I found my problem-I forgot to install the launchpad INI file. Yay!

Now, that is just the procedure to install and run myts, not midnight commander. So, once that is installed and run, which I have used several times now and works well, I can then run midnight commander and have a file explorer of sorts?

Sorry to get a bit repetitious here, I just want to get it straight as to how Midnight Commander works with the latest version of myts, and not the terminal used inside its zip file, which is included in the midnight commander folders.

UPDATE:

I got Midnight Commander to work by first opening myts-6 and then directing a command to /mnt/us/local/terminal/mc and running it that way. I even threw an alias together inside /mnt/us/myts/profile so as to make it easier. If only there was a way to open Midnight Commander directly.

Last edited by inameiname; 12-22-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
I've just tried and it works well

are you sure that:
myts.l.ini goes to your launchpad folder
myts folder goes to Kindle's usb root?
To get myts working, yes, that is what you need to do, extract the myts folder to Kindle's usb root, and then put a myts.ini (or whatever you call it) into the launchpad folder.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
sean.fosterbrown
Enthusiast

OK... I got myts running. How do I run midnight commander?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
OK... I got myts running. How do I run midnight commander?
This is the command I used inside myts:
Code:
cd /mnt/us/local/terminal/ && ./mc && cd /mnt/us/

If you'd like, I just threw together a 'profile' and 'about.txt' file that might come in handy for anybody using the 'myts' terminal. It includes an alias for Midnight Commander (mc) that is the same thing. Much easier to remember than that entire line of code. I'll attach them below. Just put the two files inside your '/mnt/us/myts' folder. Once copied into that folder, you will find an 'about' section that will pop up every time you run myts. I find this quite handy as a way to see the shortcuts right then and there. I even threw in some aliases that work on the Kindle.

By the way, I found there was a window that kept popping up saying there was no saving directory called '/mnt/us/local/home/.mc'. To avoid this, just make that directory inside '/mnt/us/local/' that you should already have. No biggie.

Edit:

Technically, if you don't use myts all that much, and think you would use the Midnight Commander more, uncheck the autorunning of 'ms' at the bottom of my 'profile' file. If you do that, myts will autostart running Midnight Commander. So essentially if you already have a Launchpad shortcut for myts (probably, T T), if you have done what I just said, it will get you straight into the Midnight Commander. Of course, if you do ever want to run myts terminal, all you have to do is to quit the Midnight Commander.
Attached Files
File Type: zip myts.zip (4.0 KB, 309 views)

Last edited by inameiname; 12-22-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
inameiname, please create this profile...
I absoluteley do not understand what to do...
How can you start a program with a "change dir" command???
I too have no success in starting MC.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
file browser, kindle