Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
parrafo175
parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: kindle
Help with epub formatting for ipad

Hello,

I am very new to ebook formatting. I have been playing with the epub from epub zen garden and my epub seems to have a problem when read on an ipad.

I am attaching the files so you can see what happens although if you don´t see it in an ipad you might not understand what i´m talking about.

Basically every chapter has after the chapter title a blockquote. The text of the blockquote seems to overflow to the following page or below on top of the first paragraph. I include photos.

Anyone has any ideas on why that happens.

I already tested the epub on other ereaders and converted to mobi to test on kindle and it looks good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test epub 2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	79133   Click image for larger version

Name:	test epub 3.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	79134  
Attached Files
File Type: epub IPADeleni-middlemarch.epub (836.1 KB, 114 views)
parrafo175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
iBooks is not all that standard and can do some funky things with ePub. My suggestion is to get Bluefire Reader for the iPad and use Bluefire. Bluefire uses ADE so an ePub that looks good with ADE will look good with Bluefire.

There is a thread for Bluefire if you need/want help.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101992
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
parrafo175
parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.parrafo175 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
iBooks is not all that standard and can do some funky things with ePub. My suggestion is to get Bluefire Reader for the iPad and use Bluefire. Bluefire uses ADE so an ePub that looks good with ADE will look good with Bluefire.

There is a thread for Bluefire if you need/want help.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101992
I appreciate the quick reply and I will try out Bluefire but happens if you want to sell your epub? Surely you can't tell all ipad users to download Bluefire. There must be a workaround no?
parrafo175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The only workaround seems to be to build a file just for iBooks. Ugly, but there you go. Liz Castro has a blog that has had lots of tips for iBooks preparation. In addition she wrote a general epub creation book that dealt with the problems of InDesign and iBooks (separate sets of problems ), as well as several supplementary books.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
The only workaround seems to be to build a file just for iBooks. Ugly, but there you go. Liz Castro has a blog that has had lots of tips for iBooks preparation. In addition she wrote a general epub creation book that dealt with the problems of InDesign and iBooks (separate sets of problems ), as well as several supplementary books.
The book is EPUB Straight to the Point, and I've found it very helpful, though not particularly for iBooks.

I think that since most people using an iPad use iBooks it's imperative to know how to get around it's quirks.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrafo175 View Post
Hello,

I am very new to ebook formatting. I have been playing with the epub from epub zen garden and my epub seems to have a problem when read on an ipad.

I am attaching the files so you can see what happens although if you don´t see it in an ipad you might not understand what i´m talking about.

Basically every chapter has after the chapter title a blockquote. The text of the blockquote seems to overflow to the following page or below on top of the first paragraph. I include photos.

Anyone has any ideas on why that happens.

I already tested the epub on other ereaders and converted to mobi to test on kindle and it looks good.
I'll check it out on my iPad and get back to you. I'm sure some of the ebooks I have done use blockquotes without problem on an iPad, but I'll make sure.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrafo175 View Post
Surely you can't tell all ipad users to download Bluefire.
Why not? Apple is happy telling all users they have to install iTunes...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote