Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Which is the cheapest eBookstore in the UK? Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010...heapest-option

And the answer is ... Amazon!

Doesn't look good for iBooks.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
and damn those who don't have a kindle !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I think the time has come to either install the Kindle software on one of your LCD devices, or gratefully accept a super cheap Kindle.

I've done both. iBooks is a lovely app, but proprietary DRM, no option of an eInk display and more expensive. No thanks.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the only place I can install kindle software would be on my PC. i am unlikely to buy a kindle, cos I don't like the look of them - especially having no need for a keyboard.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
the only place I can install kindle software would be on my PC. i am unlikely to buy a kindle, cos I don't like the look of them - especially having no need for a keyboard.
I just think the keyboard is super ugly! I also really don't need it.

But, at least the K3 keyboard is the least ugly yet

My view is Amazon are going to win. We all need to start dealing with that. At the end of the day it's about books, not the HW.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
GeoffC

I don't think it in our interest for Amazon to 'win' ... so I shall not contribute to their success....
Old 08-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Im sorry to say but ibooks is crap. Before I upgraded my 3G to iphone 4 I was really anxious to have a look a the ibooks app but didnt want to upgrade the OS coz Id heard it might brick the phone. Anyway when I finally got to see the store, what a let down. There are hardly any books in there and it's all terribly over-priced.

Not suprising to see that Amazon are the cheapest. After doing some research myself I discovered that they were and this was one of the reasons why I have ordered the new kindle.

In some cases they are several pounds cheaper than their nearest rival.

For example I bought a book yesterday for £8.99 because I have been looking forward to reading it for a long time and didn't want to wait another month for the kindle. £8.99 is the cheapest price in the UK and elsewhere. The same book is priced at £5.30 in the kindle store.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Personally, I prefer a physical keyboard even on mobile phones. Even though I don't use the keyboard that much on the Kindle when I need it, it's there and IMO (and experience) faster than an onscreen keyboard. Aesthetically, the keyboard may give the Kindle a "clunky" appearance but IMO the keyboard gives it a functional appearance.

I own many different devices but I keep going back to my Kindle because for me it gives the best reading experience. I'm hooked on Whispernet, the social features are an interesting extra, and the new Pearl screen is far better than any other eInk screen I own. Everyone has different tastes and priorities and there's bound to be a suitable device for most.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Personally, I prefer a physical keyboard even on mobile phones. Even though I don't use the keyboard that much on the Kindle when I need it, it's there and IMO (and experience) faster than an onscreen keyboard. Aesthetically, the keyboard may give the Kindle a "clunky" appearance but IMO the keyboard gives it a functional appearance.

I own many different devices but I keep going back to my Kindle because for me it gives the best reading experience. I'm hooked on Whispernet, the social features are an interesting extra, and the new Pearl screen is far better than any other eInk screen I own. Everyone has different tastes and priorities and there's bound to be a suitable device for most.

Only so long as there are books available that one can access !
Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Yeah, the geo restrictions are a huge problem.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #11
amjbrown
Addict

Quote:
I don't think it in our interest for Amazon to 'win' ... so I shall not contribute to their success....
I am not sure there is anything we can do about it.

I have been here for a year and a half, I've been through a couple of Sonys before the iPad. I can correct and recompile my own ePubs. I've even converted from a few other formats - after liberating them. I am typical of the Mobile Read community, and I reckon I represent maybe 0.25% of the English reading population.

My wife likes the fact that Amazon are gaining massive traction with the Kindle because she thinks we have too many paperbacks in our house. The idea of getting her book club novels cheaply with nothing physical to take up space after the group makes her very happy. She has no idea what ePub or topaz or mobi or lit or anything other format is, and she doesn't care. I think she represents 25% of the same population.

Amazon want her. They will get her. They couldn't care less about me! We are outnumbered!

I think it was one of Douglas Adams' Vogons who said "resistance is futile". Co-incidentally that was one of the first protected .lit files I downcoverted and fed into Calibre. Happy days
Old 08-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
amjbrown
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
I reckon I represent maybe 0.25% of the English reading population
In terms of tech-savvyness. MR would love 0.25% of the population as active contributors!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
GeoffC

You may be right ....
Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
And whose fault is this? What remedy do you propose?

Would you see Amazon do less than their best? For their customers and stockholders?
Would you rather they overcharge us and laugh merrily to the bank with the extra money?

They offer their wares at what *they* consider fair price and fair terms. *We* can either accept those terms or not.
Options exist.
The choice is *ours*.

Thankfully nobody forces us to buy or not buy.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #15
GeoffC

Assuredly options exist at the moment, but if every new reader that now comes on the market does not accept the pre-existing mobi/epub/etc formats without us having to jump through numerous hoops, then those options reduce to what Amazon and Apple et al are prepared to allow us to use.

Until Amazon introduced the kindle, readers were independent of books - increasingly they are becoming linked. At least the iPad has a kindle app (has the reverse appeared ?).

Am I going to have to investigate a kindle or iPad app for my Gen3 or Pocketbook in (say) 5 years time ?

Is this the way we, as customers, want the market to develop.

Not that any of us have a cat in hells chance of altering....