Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #16
MoyoWa
MoyoWa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle PW2
Greetings @langelgjm,

I am having the same problem (GLIBC_2.7 not found) as I am trying to load this code on a Kindle DX. I do not have access to an environment where I can recompile according to the changes to the Makefile that you posted. Would it be possible for you to post the recompiled version that I can just copy onto the Kindle, please?

Thank you so much!
MoyoWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #17
dfect
dfect began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoyoWa View Post
Greetings @langelgjm,

I am having the same problem (GLIBC_2.7 not found) as I am trying to load this code on a Kindle DX. I do not have access to an environment where I can recompile according to the changes to the Makefile that you posted. Would it be possible for you to post the recompiled version that I can just copy onto the Kindle, please?

Thank you so much!
Same issue here. Has anyone got it confirmed working of the DX/DXG?
dfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2015, 03:54 AM   #18
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
OK, since I know how to work around it, I think I might be able to do a version compiled for the older devices soon (TM). Meaning in 7-10 days, I think. Up to then, I won't have much time at hand.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #19
dfect
dfect began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
OK, since I know how to work around it, I think I might be able to do a version compiled for the older devices soon (TM). Meaning in 7-10 days, I think. Up to then, I won't have much time at hand.
@Hawhill, great! If u need some testing I will happily support.
dfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #20
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I didn't get back earlier. Might take up to 10 more days. Not enough spare time at hands currently, I'm afraid.
Advert
Old 02-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #21
Bobco
Bobco began at the beginning.

Device: Older Kindle DX
@hawhill. Thanks for doing this work during your busy schedule. It's much appreciated and I look forward to the results. This is just what my wife needs to be able to keep up with email while recovering from a concussion. She can use an e-ink screen fine, but not a standard computer screen. Unfortunately, with the older Kindle DX I have, I wasn't able to get things working. Interesting to think of the medical benefit to be had from a cost-effective way to make e-ink monitors accessible. Thanks again.
Bobco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #22
hawhill
Wizard

You could give this a try. Unfortunately, I can't really test it right now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kvncviewer-arm-linux-gnueabi-2015-02-16_13-02.zip (431.6 KB, 302 views)

Last edited by hawhill; 02-16-2015 at 08:21 AM. Reason: attached file
Old 02-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #23
Bobco

So close . . .

I went through the process of making my older Kindle DX function as second monitor, and everything seemed to proceed smoothly till the very last step when I enter the command:

[root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1:1 &

Instead of the Kindle DX displaying the computer screen, I receive the response:

-sh: /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh: not found

I'm not very technically sophisticated on this process. Does anyone know what I may have done incorrectly?
Old 02-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #24
hawhill
Wizard

So you put all the files into the folder "kindlevncviewer" on the volume that presents when plugging in the Kindle via USB, right?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #25
Bobco

I unzipped the file, and dragged the folder it contained "kvncviewer" into the root directory of the Kindle
Old 02-19-2015, 03:24 AM   #26
hawhill
Wizard

The path you use to call it would be /mnt/us/kvncviewer/kvncviewer.sh then.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #27
Bobco

ah yes, that makes sense. I tried that but still got the error, then realized that the zip file you sent must only include the updated files and not all the files (since kvncviewer.sh does not appear to be in there, along with some other files and folders that are in the older version). So I merged those into the older version of kvncviewer (replacing files with same names) and tried again, but now get this error:

[root@kindle root]# Failed to set value <0x3>
./luajit: cannot open vncviewer: No such file or directory
Failed to set value <0x3>

If it's helpful to know, there is a file in the root directory called "luajit", but no folder with that name. There is a folder with the name "luajit-2.0" though.

Thanks again, I do appreciate your patience with me being a command line neophyte trying to get this working.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:44 AM   #28
hawhill
Wizard

Oh, I think I made an error when packaging the software. Wait a second, I'll upload another updated version to this post soon.

Edit: No, it was "right". The wrapper script is an old one. This software isn't quite polished. On the command line, try to do as follows:
Code:
cd /mnt/us/kvncviewer
./luajit vncviewer.lua 192.168.2.1:1
By the way - did you try to simply use the old variant linked in the first post?

Last edited by hawhill; 02-20-2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #29
Bobco

Thanks again, but still no luck. I did try the old variant, but still got the same error I described in the first post. Then I went back again and merged the old variant with the new one you posted (putting it all in the folder "kindlevncviewer"). I tried the commands (first trying the original commands I used, then trying the new one you posted). This time I got a series of messages, but nothing on the kindle dx. Here is a copy of how my telnet session went, in case that helps explain anything ...

-------
Welcome to Kindle!

#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# /etc/init.d/netwatchd stop
system: I netwatchd:def:stopping Netwatch Daemon
[root@kindle root]# /etc/init.d/powerd stop
Stopping Power Management Daemon: [root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kv ncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1:1 &
[root@kindle root]# Failed to set value <0x3>
./luajit: cannot open vncviewer: No such file or directory
Failed to set value <0x3>
cd /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer
[1] + Done /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2 .1:1
[root@kindle kindlevncviewer]# ./luajit vncviewer.lua 192.168.2.1:1
could not open input device /dev/input/event2 (possibly harmless)
20/02/2015 17:44:33 VNC server supports protocol version 3.8 (viewer 3.8)
20/02/2015 17:44:33 We have 2 security types to read
20/02/2015 17:44:33 0) Received security type 1
20/02/2015 17:44:33 Selecting security type 1 (0/2 in the list)
20/02/2015 17:44:33 1) Received security type 16
20/02/2015 17:44:33 Selected Security Scheme 1
20/02/2015 17:44:33 No authentication needed
20/02/2015 17:44:33 VNC authentication succeeded
20/02/2015 17:44:34 Desktop name "swk-laptop"
20/02/2015 17:44:35 Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.8
20/02/2015 17:44:35 VNC server default format:
20/02/2015 17:44:35 32 bits per pixel.
20/02/2015 17:44:35 Least significant byte first in each pixel.
20/02/2015 17:44:35 TRUE colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
./luajit: ./ffi/framebuffer_linux.lua:27: attempt to call global 'ioctl' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
./ffi/framebuffer_linux.lua:27: in function 'einkUpdateFunc'
./ffi/framebuffer_linux.lua:265: in function 'refresh'
vncviewer.lua:99: in function 'cb'
./ffi/eventloop.lua:188: in function 'loop'
./ffi/input_kindle.lua:42: in function 'waitForEvent'
vncviewer.lua:315: in main chunk
[C]: at 0x0000c368
[root@kindle kindlevncviewer]#

---------
Old 02-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #30
hawhill
Wizard

OK, that output looks good. Sort of. It shows a bug in the code - so I will have to get back to the editor and fix it. Sorry for the small steps, but I simply don't have a device to actually test. Will get back as soon as I had a chance to fix it.