Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #1531
inthemood
Zealot
inthemood began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Forma 32G
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Nothing. There are two fixed tiles on the home screen, and the rest change as you use the device.

The top line can be affected by changing the reading status of the books, but, it changes again as soon as you open or finish another book.
Ok. Thank you.
inthemood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #1532
stringsonfire
stringsonfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
All the rest looks good. On the device page of the configuration, does the Aura ONE have the icon to show it is connected? If not, this means the plugin thinks it is a different device. This is based on an id in the file driveinfo.calibre. If this is removed at some point, calibre, and the plugin, sees the device as a different one. The "Add connected device" button should be enabled. Click that and add it. Then delete the existing one and make sure the device is selected on the first page.

Or, for simplicity, and if this is your only Kobo device, use the "Any device" option on the first page. That should solve it.

The job isn't there. It is called "Storing reading positions for x books".
That did it, thanks! I forgot I had it replaced under warranty, so new device, serial, etc.
stringsonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:48 AM   #1533
tamarissa
Connoisseur
tamarissa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo Utilities - Transfer 'Read Status' to Kobo

I have the Kobo Utilities plugin, and am able to get the 'read status' into my Calibre library from my Kobo without any problems, but I can't seem to get it to add a 'read status' back onto my Kobo if I add a 'read' book back onto my Kobo.

Is there a different plugin I need for that option?
tamarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:08 AM   #1534
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarissa View Post
I have the Kobo Utilities plugin, and am able to get the 'read status' into my Calibre library from my Kobo without any problems, but I can't seem to get it to add a 'read status' back onto my Kobo if I add a 'read' book back onto my Kobo.

Is there a different plugin I need for that option?
The do the status restore, select the books you want to do this for and choose the "Store/Restore current bookmark" option in the plugins menu. Then set the options as needed. That will set the status, the last read date and reading position.

If you just want to mark the books as read, you can use the "Update metadata in device library" function. The options for reading status are at the bottom of the dialog.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #1535
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Which means your calibre library has 6 books with the author as "A.B. Person" and 15 with the author as "AB Person". Or maybe you have "A. B. Person" (which is the way calibre generally does it if the when downloading metadata) and "A B Person". Or some combination of all these.
[resumed here from the Touch Driver thread]

Quote:
Which means your calibre library has 6 books with the author as "A.B. Person" and 15 with the author as "AB Person". Or maybe you have "A. B. Person" (which is the way calibre generally does it if the when downloading metadata) and "A B Person". Or some combination of all these.
Exactly right. When I copied the books onto my Clara, Calibre showed 6 books as "A.B. Person" and 15 as "A B Person" (with spaces).

Quote:
All this sounds like it is working correctly. But, it doesn't sound like you fixed the metadata in the calibre library. If these books are all by the same author, select them in calibre, click the button to edit the metadata and the bulk metadata editor will open. There you can fix the common metadata such as the author and author sort. Then do the update to the device.
(e.a.)

As I stated in my initial post, this is exactly what I did. As soon as I realised my mistake, and before I did anything else, I did a bulk metadata fix. All 21 books subsequently showed (and still do) "A.B. Person" in Calibre. Thus, when I made all the attempts mentioned in the earlier threads, the metadata for the books in the Calibre library was (and is) in the format I wished, all 21 the same.

EDIT: I really AM too stupid to live! I was doing all this without selecting the books - My sincere apologies for having taken up your valuable time. I shall slink off and attempt to acquire sentience.

Last edited by stuartjmz; 10-26-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #1536
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
EDIT: I really AM too stupid to live! I was doing all this without selecting the books - My sincere apologies for having taken up your valuable time. I shall slink off and attempt to acquire sentience.
If there is anyone has not experienced a similar DOH! moment, I haven't met her/him yet.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:57 AM   #1537
Elaxon
Zealot
Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20 Aura
Would it be possible to use this to update ToC when pushing an updated version of the book? I saw your @davidfor regarding another user that ToC is only processed when book is imported.
Elaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:35 AM   #1538
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaxon View Post
Would it be possible to use this to update ToC when pushing an updated version of the book? I saw your @davidfor regarding another user that ToC is only processed when book is imported.
The plugin doesn't have that function. There are enough complications in doing it that, at this point, I'm not that interested in doing it. Plus the workaround is easy in most circumstances.

The workaround is:
- Fetch the reading status for the book.
- Remove the book. Can be done using calibre.
- Send the new copy.
- Disconnect and let the device import the update.
- Connect and send the reading status to the device.

If you haven't opened the book, just delete and resend it. Or turn off the "Do not treat replacements as new books" option in the driver if you don't care about the status at all.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #1539
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I have a collection on my Aura H2O2 and I cannot get it to list in series order.

There are 9 books in the collection, and the order they are listed in is

I have tried updating the series order for the whole series 3 times, and for book 1 twice. Each time I am careful to make the book(s) is/are highlighted, and select "update metadata in device library. Then I eject the device check the collection, and run it again. The first time I did this, the plugin showed a non-zero result for "books changed" Every subsequent attempt, no books have been changed and the series order persists in being almost perfect, except for having the first (published) book listed last. What am I doing wrong this time?
Old 11-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #1540
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect there is a invisible character in front of that 1 .
Use the Metadata editor to set it different using the scroll arrows, then back to 1
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #1541
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I suspect there is a invisible character in front of that 1 .
Use the Metadata editor to set it different using the scroll arrows, then back to 1
Thanks for the suggestion. When I checked the series metadata in calibre, it said "1.00", so I used the sroll buttons to go up to 2.00 then back down to 1.00. I then ran the plugin twice, once on just the one book, then again on the whole series. No change in the listing. FWIW, here's how the series lists in Calibre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	series.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	168063  
Old 11-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #1542
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have a collection on my Aura H2O2 and I cannot get it to list in series order.

There are 9 books in the collection, and the order they are listed in is

I have tried updating the series order for the whole series 3 times, and for book 1 twice. Each time I am careful to make the book(s) is/are highlighted, and select "update metadata in device library. Then I eject the device check the collection, and run it again. The first time I did this, the plugin showed a non-zero result for "books changed" Every subsequent attempt, no books have been changed and the series order persists in being almost perfect, except for having the first (published) book listed last. What am I doing wrong this time?
The series sorting on the device is not done just on the number. It is the combination of the series name and the number. What is probably happening is that the series name isn't quite what you think it is for that books. The series sorting in calibre uses a series sort value that is hidden and calculated when the series is set for a book. And the plugin is using the series name to populate the database on the device. There are a few things that could be causing the difference in sorting. The language of the book is one of them.

What I suggest is to remove the series info from the book, connect the device and update the series on the device. Then disconnect and check what is displayed. Then set the series info on the book and do the update again. That will probably fix it.

If it doesn't, I need to see a debug log. Run calibre in debug mode, do the series updating and then post the log. The log should show me what has happened.

Also, if updating the series info is the only thing you are doing, you can let the driver do this. By default, the driver checks the series info every time the Kobo devices are connected and makes any changes needed. You can turn this off if you don't want it, but using it means you don't need to do it manually. I don't think there is a difference in how the driver and the plugin set the series index.

And the next version of calibre will have an update to the driver to automatically update the rest of the metadata that the Kobo devices use and display. That will be off by default, but if you turn it on, you won't need to use this plugin anywhere near as much. It does have a performance hit, but mainly when there are a lot of changes needed.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #1543
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
What I suggest is to remove the series info from the book, connect the device and update the series on the device. Then disconnect and check what is displayed.
When I did that, Leviathan Wakes disappeared from the collection on my device, as I expected
Quote:
Then set the series info on the book and do the update again. That will probably fix it.
When I did that, Leviathan Wakes reappeared listed as book 1, in last place again.

I repeated the process in debug mode and the first time Leviathan Wakes disappeared from the collection even after re-entering the series info. So I did it again, all still in debug mode, and it returned, in last place. What I forgot to do was note the path of the debug log sorry! Before I try anything else, where can I find the log to post here?

Found it
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmpbo2ifx.txt (132.5 KB, 272 views)

Last edited by stuartjmz; 11-29-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:11 PM   #1544
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When I did that, Leviathan Wakes disappeared from the collection on my device, as I expected

When I did that, Leviathan Wakes reappeared listed as book 1, in last place again.

I repeated the process in debug mode and the first time Leviathan Wakes disappeared from the collection even after re-entering the series info. So I did it again, all still in debug mode, and it returned, in last place. What I forgot to do was note the path of the debug log sorry! Before I try anything else, where can I find the log to post here?

Found it
If you close calibre when finished the tests, it displays the log for you. That is what I usually tell people if I need to give instructions for running in debug mode.

Looking at that, it should be correct. The log is showing that it is setting the series name and number to the expected values. But, it might not be this one that is wrong. Maybe the others are the problem. Could you run in debug mode and do an update on all the books in the series. You don't need to make any changes, just select them and run the update. The log will show me what is on the database and in calibre. Maybe I will see it.

But, for the record, I did think of a fun little problem. If the number of spaces between the "The" and the rest of the name is different, you get some interesting results. Calibre will treat "The Expanse" and "The Expanse" (several spaces) as different series, but will sort them all as "Expanse, The". Which means they get mixed together. You can probably see this in the lists, but it might not be that obvious depending on the font used and font size. And if some other type of space was used, it might not be visible. I don't know what would happen on the Kobo devices with this.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:49 PM   #1545
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

To eliminate the possibility of an extra, unseen, space, I did a bulk metadata edit, forcing all of them to be "The Expanse". I then renumbered them all, connected the device and ran an update. The result was the same as previously. Then I ran it in debug mode and tried another series update. No change.
Attached Files
File Type: txt log2.txt (58.2 KB, 266 views)

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities