Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
LadyLou
Enthusiast
LadyLou doesn't litterLadyLou doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch
'Consolidating' Calibre Library?

I recently had an external Hard Drive die and my Calibre Library was on it.

I had used 'Clickfree' device to backup all drives so was able to restore the Calibre Library to my 'C' Drive.

However, I changed the path to reflect this change in Calibre and sure enough my Library was displayed, however, all my books were 'empty', ie no content!.

I know from using I-tunes that if I 'consolidate' my Library I can, in theory at least, delete my music files from elsewhere on my computer, but it would appear not to be the case in Calibre.

I have had to start a new Calibre Library and am in the process of importing my book files from various places on my drives again.

Can anyone please advise what I should have done, and how to prevent this happening again.
LadyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I think you could go into the "Library" icon, click the down arrow to pull up the menu. Then choose "Switch/Create Calibre Library".

Then browse to the new location for each library in the browser box privided and chose "Use the previously Existing Library at the new location".

IIRC, that's what I did when I moved my libraries from one hard drive to the other.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, that's exactly the way to do it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
LadyLou
Enthusiast

Hi, I think that is what I did, I found several folders for Calibre Library and tried them all, many I could see were not complete with the latest editions (up to when the hard drive went down), but the one I found that had been edited just prior to the hard drive going down was the first one I tried to open, which it did, however, my problem still is that although all the books showed as normal, when I tried to open (read) them there was no content!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A proper calibre library (restore) has a set 'structure'

Top folder: the Library name
inside:
metadata.db (this is what you see in the GUI)
Author folders
Inside Authors: Titles (##) the number matches the internals of the DB (and breaks name ties)

Inside titles are the book formats (0 or more. 0 is an 'empty book'), cover as shown in the GUI, metadata.opf (the backup of the data you see in the GUI)

Take a look inside (under the skirts). Is this what you see?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLou View Post
Hi, I think that is what I did, I found several folders for Calibre Library and tried them all, many I could see were not complete with the latest editions (up to when the hard drive went down), but the one I found that had been edited just prior to the hard drive going down was the first one I tried to open, which it did, however, my problem still is that although all the books showed as normal, when I tried to open (read) them there was no content!
try to find the folder with the latest version of the library
Inspect the folders. There should be some folders with authors names and metadata.db file. Inside folders with names of authors there should be folders with the book names and a number in a bracket. Inside those folders there should be individual files for the book, cover and file metadata.opf.
Create a new empty library and import the books from the directory where the old damaged library is.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
the ducks & kacir - especially the book numbers - OPs problems sounds a bit like the google drive problem

@LadyLou - have you ever sucessfully restored a calibre library from your "Clickfree" device before now?

Statements such as the following from page 15 of the Clickfree User Guide 'bother' me

Quote:
7. If you are restoring files to somewhere other than the original locations, before it overwrites an existing file on your computer with one of the same name from the backed-up files, Clickfree asks if you want to replace the existing file with the same name file from the backup. You can choose to:

Keep both copies of this one file – click Keep Both. Clickfree renames the backed-up
file by adding ‘ (2)’ to the end of the file name, then restores the renamed file.
If Clickfree does something similar with folder names then that could be the source of your troubles

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-13-2014 at 05:50 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
LadyLou
Enthusiast

I am going to look into your responses closer over the next few days as I am not 'techie' but willing to learn.

I have never tried any kind of restore from Clickfree previously, so that too could be my problem.

One further thing I need to know, once I have imported a book into the Library, is it stored within the Calibre Library and can I therefore 'move' the original file to external storage or do I lose the connection to the Library if I move the original file position.

Many thanks for your helpful replies.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Calibre stores its own copy of the book. You can do whatever you like with the original after you've added the book to the Calibre library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
LadyLou
Enthusiast

Many thanks to you all, I now have a much better understanding of Calibre.