Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
taksina
taksina began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question How well does Kindle 3 do PDFs?

I'm new to e-readers and my Kindle 3 is over the Pacific right now. I'm dying to know how well it does PDFs, simple, font-mostly ones:

1. Do I need to pan or the text can be adjusted to wrap nicely?
2. Can I change the fonts or is this not possible as they are embedded?

Thanks in advance,

Taksina
taksina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I am waiting to find that out too. I already know the Kindle doesn't flow PDF's like my Sony ebook does, which is bad news for me, so I have used Calibre to convert mine to MOBI format, once my kindle arrives I plan to load them (using Calibre) and can let you know. I am hoping converting them to PDF's means the read like a book, otherwise we are limited to turning the kindle landscape and seeing how well they fit on the landscape page.

PDF reflow (which the Sony readers have and Kindle doesn't) means that the sentences are changed to fit less words on a page, depending on the font size you select, whereas the Kindle still wants to keep the same number of words on the sentence, so the font has to be smaller to fit the whole page on the screen.

That's the simplest way I can explain it,
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Watch the video to see what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crgpr1LO7ns
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Kindle's PDF support is pretty rudimentary - you can zoom & pan, but there's no reflow and no changing of fonts - what you see is what you get.

IMO, if the pdf isn't formatted for the size of the Kindle screen, then its probably not worth the trouble to try to read it on the Kindle.

My previous ebook (eSlick) did a very good job on pdf reflow - if done right it can be quite useful...

Rich
mpeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Between Devices..
If a pdf is simple and reflow makes any sense: Just throw it into the mobipocket creator. It does a nice job for that. Even for some slightly more complex books it worked fine for me.

If a pdf is more complex reflow would probably fuck up the pdf anyway; then you can use the pdf viewer of the kindle (see the video above), which seems fine to me, especially since the k3's screen refreshing seems so fast.
dsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
kindle 3, pdf