Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #16
Bookster
Maniac
Bookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3 PRS505&600 Kindle2 Pocketbook360&302 BeBookmini Onyx Boox Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I don't know if it's technically alternate history, but I'm reading (and loving) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith.
Good read I was going to post some of my old-time favourites (others than Turtledove) but I realised that they're not in electronic format anyway, nice thread, but all too tempting!
Bookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #17
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I enjoy them very much as well. But this brings up the question of how do we define alternate history?
I agree with your post. While I still consider them to fall under the heading Alternate History, I do consider them to be a sub-type of Alternate History.

Like you I like the small 'what ifs' very much. But I love all AH.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 05-13-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveconifer View Post
There's a new Civil War alternate history book just out called Flight of the Southern Cross by Karl David Stein. It's a "what-if" scenario that changes the way the war plays out. I'm pretty sure it can be had on Smashwords. The author said that paperbacks won't be out until June...
The author's name isn't Karl David Stein its Karl David Klein.

Just an FYI.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/14479
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #19
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Not sure I understand your point. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpalm View Post
So that would mean in AH there are world perspective, US perspective and what other country perspectives.

Science fiction accounts of AH would include time displacement/alternative what ifs and other "means" like alien invasion, witchcraft and dimensional parallels?

I suppose chaotic AH is not your cup of tea?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by world perspectives, US perspectives, etc. Could you expand a bit on this? Also can you define what chaotic AH is? I've never heard the term.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #20
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I don't know if it's technically alternate history, but I'm reading (and loving) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith.
Having been born and raised in Springfield, Illinois. We know all about Lincoln's Vampire hunter skills.

However few outside of the area know about his wolfman trapping days. Of course that was when a good hide could go for $1000 or more. A little known fact is that he invented the silver bullet in the heart thing. A practice followed by modern wolfman trappers to this day.
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #21
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Having been born and raised in Springfield, Illinois. We know all about Lincoln's Vampire hunter skills.

However few outside of the area know about his wolfman trapping days. Of course that was when a good hide could go for $1000 or more. A little known fact is that he invented the silver bullet in the heart thing. A practice followed by modern wolfman trappers to this day.
Especially if you're trapping those NEW MOON werewolves-- really soft and fluffy looking!
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #22
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
One well written AH title is Yiddish policeman's Union by Michael Chabon. It's about a police detective working a case in an Alaska which has become an area of settlement for holocaust survivors. It reads like a noir novel.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #23
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Thanks for the reminder. I remember reading ABOUT that novel and thinking I wanted to read it. But of course, my pathetic memory caused me to forget it almost immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
One well written AH title is Yiddish policeman's Union by Michael Chabon. It's about a police detective working a case in an Alaska which has become an area of settlement for holocaust survivors. It reads like a noir novel.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #24
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
And there's The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's an alternate history of the world from medieval times (when the whole population of Europe is wiped out by the Black Death) to the present. It basically gives you a picture of a world without Europeans.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #25
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Aother thanks is due for the same reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
And there's The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's an alternate history of the world from medieval times (when the whole population of Europe is wiped out by the Black Death) to the present. It basically gives you a picture of a world without Europeans.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #26
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And don't forget Robert Silverberg's Roma Eterna in which the Roman Empire survives to the present day.

And I suppose Harry Harrison's West of Eden could be considered alternate history. The dinosaurs never became extinct and evolved into intelligent, reasoning creatures with humans subservient to them.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #27
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
SS-GB is an alternate history novel by Len Deighton, set in a United Kingdom fictionally conquered and occupied by Germany during World War II. The novel's title refers to the branch of the Nazi SS that controls Britain.

I read it when it was published in 1978. It is quite good. Deighton set the style of the anonymous anti-hero. His 1970 World War II historical novel Bomber about an RAF Bomber Command raid over Germany often is considered his masterpiece (wikipedia).

Last edited by beppe; 05-18-2010 at 09:39 AM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #28
BenG
Home Guard

I forgot about SS-GB. I read that about 30 years ago. It is good.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #29
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Maybe you had your book light off
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I've read most of the biggies, Turtledove, Conroy, SM Sterling, but I'm looking for some new authors. Any suggestions?
If it's alternate history you're looking for, you may want to contact the Texas School Board. That's one of their areas of expertise.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-18-2010 at 04:09 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote