Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
morikaweb
morikaweb began at the beginning.

Device: none
reader for a Canadian Information Technology Student?

I will be returning to school in the fall and want to reduce the amount of paper I carry around. As such I am looking at a ebook.

The ebook with be primary used to display textbooks with lots of diagrams and charts, Networking Equipment Manuals with wiring schematics, Teachers notes, and Class labs.

So far My primary candidates are the "bebook neo" or the "iRex 800"

My requirements are as follows:

- Easy to read under omni present florescent lighting
- Good battery life
- Good PDF support
- Highlighting & note taking.
- Be rugged and be able to handle the cold (Canadian eh?)
- Would love to have support for magazines.

So can anyone make some suggestions? One of my biggest worry is that a 6" screen is too small, can anyone comment on that?

Edit:
Going through some old CCNA books I am now doubting a 6" screen is good enough. I think I would pefer 10" or 12".

Last edited by morikaweb; 03-21-2010 at 08:21 AM.
morikaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
A 6" is too small for technical PDFs (science, engineering, IT, etc). You definitely need a larger screen e-reader. I can recommend the Entourage eDGe if weight is not an issue for you (a little over 3 lbs). If weight is an issue then my advice is to wait until additional large screen e-readers are released (Dittobook, iPad, etc). The Kindle DX displays PDFs but with very limited features and capabilities. Not a good choice for the price (around $500US). The iRex 800 would be a better option if the upcoming update adds better PDF capabilities.

If you don't necessarily need to get an e-reader right now. I mean, if you can wait a little longer there will be a wider selection and potentially better overall choices in the next few months.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To be honest, for your needs, you might be better off with a Tablet PC rather than an eBook reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To be honest, for your needs, you might be better off with a Tablet PC rather than an eBook reader.
Very possible. If I were you, I would go to Apple store after the iPad is released and try one. Ask if they will let you load some test documents. Put some of your books and see how they display. You've got nothing to lose. If it suits your need, you can purchase it. If not, continue with your search.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
morikaweb

I thought about the iPad but all the advanced book, magazine and newspaper features are amarican only. Being Canadian we only get a striped down version of the iPad. Also the battery is horrible, I doubt I could get through a single double lab without it crapping out on me.

Edit:
The enTourage eDGe looks cool I will be looking more into it.

Last edited by morikaweb; 03-21-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
You might also want to look at the Irex DR1000. It's one of the only readers around that meets your requirements. It's pricey, though. I have one that I got to read all the large PDFs I have and it works well for it. I don't really use the markup capability and would love to be able to turn it off to save battery life.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animedude01 View Post
I don't really use the markup capability and would love to be able to turn it off to save battery life.
The Wacom touch screen uses a totally negligible amount of power when not being used.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
morikaweb

I looked at the Irex DR1000 but dismissed it becuse it supports so few formats, lack of epub is a killer.

The Irex DR1000 enTourage eDGe looks like one of the best choices for me if the battery life claim (16 hours) holds up. I just need to find a good store that sells cisco and linux books in epub.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by morikaweb View Post
I looked at the Irex DR1000 but dismissed it becuse it supports so few formats, lack of epub is a killer.
It's due to get new firmware which supports ePub next month.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
morikaweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's due to get new firmware which supports ePub next month.
Thanks I must have missed that.

Looking around the net allot of pepole seem to hate Entourage Edge for some reason. I have yet to see any constructive complaints though, just pepole saying its too big or too expensive compleatly ignoring what it is ment to replace...

So anyways I think the best thing to do is wait a few months as I wont be going to school untill september.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
If you don't need it until the fall I would wait because they're a bunch of 9.7" devices due Q1/Q2 this year with the flexible screens. I'm personally waiting to see the PocketBook/Netronix 900 series.

Unless you have something against Apple I wouldn't discount the iPad until you've tried it and read reviews from people that have used it for a couple weeks. My Touch actually works really well with PDF (tap on column to zoom and panning) but the screen is just to small. I'm expecting it to be a very good PDF reader.

Personally I still use a laptop for technical PDF because they're pigs on processing power.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote