Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
exo
exo began at the beginning.

Device: none
What should I beware of when buying a used ebook reader?

I want to pick one of these up, but it will be second hand. The person selling it says it is new in box, but what should I be vary of when doing this transaction? Better safe than sorry I say. Thanks.
exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I would first make sure that it works. A box can be made to look like it hasn't been opened yet. The problem with that is that the owner may not want to open the box up to show you because if you don't want it then he couldn't sell it as a new product. It may also be stolen.

I would simply ask a lot of questions to guage the validity of this item, such as: Where did he get it? Why is he selling it? Why doesn't he simply return it to the store he purchased it from?

Most people who have expensive items like this brand new have some means of receipt. Why is he not returning it for cash or store credit? That usually is more then you could sell it for second hand.

I am not saying that this sale is a scam, I am just saying be careful.

edit:

heck i trust bying a second hand ereader a lot more then a brand new one. At least with a second hand one you are pretty sure on the reason why he is selling it. A brand new one would mean he didn't even open it up to see if he likes it, and if he got another one somehow as a gift or something then how come he cannot return it?

Last edited by happy_terd; 01-17-2010 at 01:18 PM.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
exo
exo began at the beginning.

Device: none
How does this look? $200

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/yrk/ele/1549910059.html
exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I don't know much about Canadian money but you can buy one online here in the States for $172 shipped.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Edition.html

I would rather a new one than a used one because the used ones will probably have compromised battery life. These batteries will degrade with age/use. I realize that the one you are looking at is new, I'm only offering my counterpoint to what happy_terd mentioned.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote