Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
lamaz
ebouquin.fr
lamaz began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 1, Blackberry Bold, Asus P750, Astak Pocket Pro
Thumbs up First Review of the Ez Reader Pocket Pro

It's Matthiew Miller who give us the first review of the Pocket Pro ans it's very good
the link :
http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=1961
lamaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Interesting that we can't even get an Astak review without getting Sony & Kindle mentioned.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
we got our black pocket pro today . the tts is very mechanical which was very supprising
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
Chumnutzly
Somnambulist
Chumnutzly began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-505, Kindle 3 Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sian View Post
we got our black pocket pro today . the tts is very mechanical which was very supprising

Why is that surprising? I think they have yet to come up with a computer voice that sounds remotely human.
Chumnutzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Interesting that we can't even get an Astak review without getting Sony & Kindle mentioned.
And you can't find a Sony or Kindle review w/o both mentioned either. What is your point? Is not the purpose of a review to evaluate a device which usually means comparing to a similar or well known device of the same type?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The eInk looks fantastic on the Pocket PRO 5 inch device and while the Sony PRS-505 remains the champion in this area, I think many may find the Pocket PRO display to work even better because it doesn’t have the whiter background.
Why would the display of the PP be better with less contrast?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would the display of the PP be better with less contrast?
For me, i much prefer black text on light gray background. White background is TOO much contrast, and tires my eyes. For me, a medium/heavy medium contrast is better than full contrast.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
My PP and 505 have exactly the same shade of gray for the screen background. The Opus was the same shade too. The K2's screen is a darker shade.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
Moo Strength
Moo Strength began at the beginning.

Device: Astek EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumnutzly View Post
Why is that surprising? I think they have yet to come up with a computer voice that sounds remotely human.
I don't know about that, the girl on my Garmin GPS is pretty human sounding to me...
Moo Strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Chumnutzly
Somnambulist
Chumnutzly began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-505, Kindle 3 Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
I don't know about that, the girl on my Garmin GPS is pretty human sounding to me...

Well, I have a Garmin too, And I agree, she sounds slightly better, but not that much really (Probably just my opinion though) By the way, which version do you have?I have an 850, and if you have a newer version, maybe they upgraded the voice
Chumnutzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:28 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
They use prerecorded voices for the limited number of messages. The only thing that uses tts is the street names if you unit provides those.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:38 AM   #12
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur
UchihaNaru is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
I received my Pocket Pro. I must say that the shipping is pretty fast via USPS. Only took 1 week to get from US to Australia =D.

Aside from that, I must say that Astak is really honest with the cost of shipping! It really did took 40 US dollars. Was pretty surprised =D

Also, I haven't play around much, except loaded some chinese .txt files into my reader since that's the primary type of file that I use. And I'm pretty much satisfied with it.

I bought the generic black one, and I really like the rubbery feel, as it doesn't felt like cheap plastic. I'm still not very familiar with the keys, so will need a while to explore them. Aside, I'm pretty happy with the size of the fonts =D

So now, I'm crossing my fingers and hope that nothing goes wrong with the battery, or with the device in general.

There's one thing though, I dunno if I am noob or what. I loaded some books into the device's storage. After that, I updated the firmware by putting the update into the SD card. After the update, when I access my device's storage, all my books seem to be gone. So when I plug in the power supply again, I was asked if I want to format my device's storage. It's kindda weird. But yeap, I formatted it anyway and now I have to reload all my books. Does this happen with every update? And can we delete the .bin file after the update?
UchihaNaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by UchihaNaru View Post
There's one thing though, I dunno if I am noob or what. I loaded some books into the device's storage. After that, I updated the firmware by putting the update into the SD card. After the update, when I access my device's storage, all my books seem to be gone. So when I plug in the power supply again, I was asked if I want to format my device's storage. It's kindda weird. But yeap, I formatted it anyway and now I have to reload all my books. Does this happen with every update? And can we delete the .bin file after the update?
While it is a good practice to backup files (books) when updating, losing the storage contents is NOT normal. The "Format" message implies that the basic file system was damaged. This can happen if the SD card or Battery was removed while the system was still "closing your library".

You can delete the bin file after update. I have mine on a different SD card from my books, anyway.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Question regarding the AC adapter, they are US-style pins, does the adapter support 110/240 auto-switching volt input? I'm asking as I'm in Australia and am wanting to know if I just bought a non-voltage travel adapter would that work?

If not would I just need to buy a standard USB AC adapter with a 5v 1000mah output? (Are all USB AC adapters regardless of pin configuration all 5v 1000mah output?)
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Question regarding the AC adapter, they are US-style pins, does the adapter support 110/240 auto-switching volt input? I'm asking as I'm in Australia and am wanting to know if I just bought a non-voltage travel adapter would that work?

If not would I just need to buy a standard USB AC adapter with a 5v 1000mah output? (Are all USB AC adapters regardless of pin configuration all 5v 1000mah output?)
Yes the adapter is autoswitching. A plug adapter is enough. USB AC adapters are not all 1000mA but all or about 5v (5.0-5.2). They way have less current though.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote