Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
jediliz
jediliz began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE 3! Just started using it November 24th
Leaning towards a Sony Pocket Edition (The new one) but have a dilemma

I am leaning towards eventually buying an eReader, specifically buying a Sony Pocket Edition (that new one recently released). However, I have a dilemma. There's a book or two that's not available at the Sony ebook store that I'd like to buy. They are available at the AMAZON KINDLE store though. My reason for getting the Sony Pocket Edition is that its $100 cheaper than a Kindle. I also like that it is compatible with word documents.

So, any advice? Also, I think I'd possibly be able to see a Sony Reader at a store like Target (I HOPE) so I can see size and how the buttons work, etc.
jediliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I find that most of the books I want to read are on the Sony eBookstore (you can also check Fictionwise or BooksOnBoard), and if they aren't then I either get them at the library or the bookstore. Also, depending on where you live and the library's selection, you might be able to borrow it digitally.

Also, the new Readers should be on display at Borders by now. Not sure about Target.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
jediliz

Actually I've seen an eBook reader at Target before. The nearest Borders is 1 hour away. I checked Borders.com and the site claims eBook readers are not sold in stores, only online.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The new 300 and 600 won't be in Borders stores until September, according to a friend of mine at BGI corporate.

You'd be surprised how many books you can find at Fictionwise, Books on Board, and other 3rd party sellers that will work on your Reader.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jediliz View Post
There's a book or two that's not available at the Sony ebook store that I'd like to buy. They are available at the AMAZON KINDLE store though.
Have you checked Books On Board, Diesel or Fictionwise? Sometimes they have stuff Sony doesn't. On the other hand there are quite a few titles that are only available on Amazon although that seems to be the case less and less.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Which books is it you want? Maybe someone else can help you find them other than Amazon.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
jediliz

Percy Jackson series. I have the first two in hardcover, but was curious about if the books were available in digital format. Amazon.com was the only place I could locate the books as a digital ebook format, and it was in the Kindle format. And before you ask, no, I don't have an iPod Touch; I have an iPod classic. I already have read about the App you can get to read Kindle books on an iPod Touch / iPhone.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Percy Jackson series.
Most publishing house AZW ebooks on the Kindle come in through mobipocket.com, and they do have, for example, The Lightning Thief. It is restricted to United States only.

I generally recommend ebookprice.info for multi-store search, but its The Lightning Thief search did not find the Kindle ebook and only found the MOBI version at CyberRead.

I don't know if Sony's switch to ePub will move the MOBI-only publishers to add ePub, but it can't hurt. At present, you have to be willing to strip DRM and format shift to get maximum ebook coverage.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
jediliz

most of the books I want (other than my question about Percy Jackson) are available at Sony's ebookstore. I just need to check to see if my any of my local Target stores still carry eBook readers like they did within the last few months. I may end up with the Sony Pocket cause I don't need a touch screen or fancy wifi downloading, not right now anyway.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
most of the books I want (other than my question about Percy Jackson) are available at Sony's ebookstore. I just need to check to see if my any of my local Target stores still carry eBook readers like they did within the last few months. I may end up with the Sony Pocket cause I don't need a touch screen or fancy wifi downloading, not right now anyway.
Then I think you are making the right decision. Target is supposed to be carrying them, but I don't know if the stores got their stock yet. I was thinking about jumping over to Borders today and check.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
If you just want to read books, lots of books, wherever you go, then you'll be happy with the Sony 300 and won't be missing a touchscreen or wifi. In fact, you'll probably have a ton of books stored in short order, and loading them will be a rare activity as youtry to catch up with your "reading list"!

Check out the alternative book sources listed here (including the Freebies/Deals forum, the uploads subforums (ePub, lrf), and the local library (if they have e-books).

Also, as a subjective opinion, I've just finished reading my second novel on the 300 (after 2 years with a 500 and 505). It worked great--a solid reading experience. I have also been putting it in my jeans pocket (in the pouch) and it is pretty comfortable there.

Last edited by DrMoze; 08-31-2009 at 05:35 PM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I am leaning towards eventually buying an eReader, specifically buying a Sony Pocket Edition (that new one recently released). However, I have a dilemma. There's a book or two that's not available at the Sony ebook store that I'd like to buy. They are available at the AMAZON KINDLE store though. My reason for getting the Sony Pocket Edition is that its $100 cheaper than a Kindle. I also like that it is compatible with word documents.

So, any advice? Also, I think I'd possibly be able to see a Sony Reader at a store like Target (I HOPE) so I can see size and how the buttons work, etc.
It's implied in some of the posts, but to expressively state it: You don't have to solely rely on Sony's BBeB format. You can use ePUB as well, which is available from various sources.
It's Adobe Digital Editions and already widely accepted as kind of the standard format to be.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
jediliz

I checked other sources and they don't really have the books I'd be buying.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I checked other sources and they don't really have the books I'd be buying.
Have you got an iPhone? With it, you can purchase from Amazon without owning a Kindle.
Then you can strip from DRM and convert to Sony format and read on Sony 300.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #15
jediliz

No iPhone. I'm thinking about an iPod Touch instead of an ebook reader, but this is still in theory at the moment.