Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
absinth
absinth began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best place to buy a Blue PRS-505 Shipped to Australia?

I am trying to purchase a Blue PRS-505 and have it shipped to Australia.

Anyone know of a cheap/reputable place to purchase the PRS-505?

I was about to buy one from BHPhotoVideo yesterday evening but the price jumped from $249.95 to $269.95 in one night whilst the site was down for 'maintenanace' !

Last edited by absinth; 06-21-2009 at 09:18 AM.
absinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
G' Day absinth and welcome to MobileRead. Lots of your countrymen will log on shortly with friendly advice on where to get the best deal.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
absinth

I spotted someone using a PRS-505 in Sydney at a bus stop and that started me on my quest to find one!

I looked at the device was intrigued and then Googled it. Didn't think many aussies had one though.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
I ordered mine from BHPhotoVideo and I highly recommend them.

I wonder why the price hike though
I purchased a demo version from them (box was open but looked and worked like new) for a bit less- maybe $40 US less.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Are there Sony Stores in Australia? Because what they do here in the States is, on big holidays, set up window displays showing various gadgets including 505's and 700's. Anyway, you can sign up to buy one of the displays devices after the holiday at a decent discount. For example, I got my 505 for 40% off just after New Years 08.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
absinth

We do have Sony Stores and Sony Style outlets etc. But, the PRS-505 has not been released down under.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by absinth View Post
We do have Sony Stores and Sony Style outlets etc. But, the PRS-505 has not been released down under.
Same in Argentina. They don't know what you are talking about if you ask for the Reader. Sony started selling the reader in Japan and the US only and recently added a couple of countries.

BHPhotovideo is OK. You have to be careful with the courrier you use for shipping. For example, FedEx charges double but has the worst service.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
I just used the cheapest option which was still like $40 with united postal services. Took about 6 days to get here (4 of which were public holidays) so I was thrilled
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
Radish
Radish began at the beginning.

Device: silver sony prs505
hello! I am in Australia too
i was about to order a reader from ebay us, and then realised I had a family member returning from overseas who could bring me one, so that's pretty lucky...total cost is ~$A420

it is pretty annoying that they don't sell them here...i wonder when they will come
Radish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 AM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I also got mine at BHPhotoVideo. Unless you travel to the US that is your best option
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
B&H Photo Video has been used by a few people outside the US and I have not read any bad comments on them by anyone on the board
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:44 AM   #12
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
My Blue reader is almost celebrating its first birthday and I bought mine from a Sydney based Ebay shop(HE Gadgets I think). It cost me around AU$420 + AU$9 express post to Newcastle.
But many people outside the US have bought from BH photo.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
beatonl
beatonl doesn't litterbeatonl doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by absinth View Post
I spotted someone using a PRS-505 in Sydney at a bus stop and that started me on my quest to find one!

I looked at the device was intrigued and then Googled it. Didn't think many aussies had one though.
Hah! If it was blue and the person was a chick it was probably me

My husband bought me mine when he was in the states for work - co-incidentally after I'd seen someone with a silver PRS-500 at my local coffee stand which had started my quest to find one.

The other option you may want to look into is PriceUSA http://www.priceusa.com.au

They'll get things bought normal retail and shipped to you in Australia
beatonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #14
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Hi, I have a blue one and got it from ebay, I believe it originally came from Canada and ended up costing around AU$430 including shipping.
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #15
Yeti
Yeti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Hi everyone, I'm brand new here, so feel free to give me heaps I have been researching readers for a while, and decided to get a 505 for now, until Apple gets its act together and produces something really nice, although I am expecting a price tag of around AU$ 1000 when it does happen. I live in Queensland Australia and appreciate all the suggestions in this thread so far thanks. It looks like maybe B&H Photo Video will be the way to go, but I am still hoping to find a better option.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote