Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #46
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Nope, not a user either.

I don't twitter, facebook, myspace, etc.

I only Mobileread.
we have so much in common!

Plus I am positive if I am ever in an altercation with the law that my :insert here any social networking time waster: page/pics will shoot me in the foot!
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #47
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrainbb View Post
I love Twitter, since I mostly use it to connect with all my book blogger friends (and other book people: publishers, professional reviews, etc). I think it's fun! It's quicker than email and slower than chat (which makes me nervous), so it's perfect for my life at the moment.
Isn't that called texting?
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #48
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapheemail View Post
Isn't that called texting?
Not really. I'd need everyone's phone numbers in the world to do that, plus bigger balls.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #49
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
teleprinter, anybody ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #50
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I actually made a comic about it...
http://blog.gideonaddington.com/2009/04/twitopia/

Last edited by Gideon; 04-24-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #51
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
You'll find me on several fora, and I think that's enough...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #52
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I've been on twitter for about two years and have 8 twitter accounts. I am active on 2 of the accounts, and use the other accounts to post announcements (for example, I use 2 accounts to post announcements to my students on my course websites).

Twitter is a great tool, if you manage it, but it can also be a huge time sink.

The thing I like the most about Twitter (and the reason I gave it a run) was that you can post global messages to a wide audience from a cell phone (or at any computer). At the time, I wanted a way to alert my students (especially my 7:30 am class) if I got delayed in traffic and would be late to class. I posted a twitter badge to my course website and I can post announcements from my cellphone to my website almost instantaneously.

I'm really enjoying Twitter's hashtag system (this is where someone posts a tweet and places a # before a word, like this "#mobileread" You can search on that word from any tweet (simply by selecting the word in the poster's tweet) and find a whole dialogue from other folks who posted tweets that included that hashtag in it. This is great for conventions and other social events, but I've also discovered other uses for it:

Twitter's hashtag system saved me a lot of time and frustration this week when Earthlink had its huge outage (i.e., #Earthlink). Earlier that day, some of my students told me my course websites (which are hosted by Earthlink) were down . When I got home I checked Twitter and found out that Earthlink was down all over the country - this knowledge saved me from calling Earthlink and getting frustrated when all I would have gotten was voicemail. I also knew right away when folks started getting their Earthlink back.

I like to watch my favorite shows on tv and check what folks are saying about the show on Twitter - it's like watching the shows with a room full of friends (i.e., #Fringe). This can be bad, though, if you don't live on the East coast because you could find out about the show before you get a chance to watch it yourself.

Twitter can be so much more than the constant stream of mindless dribble that you hear about.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #53
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I'm on Twitter and Facebook... but since I spend so much time at MobileRead I don't get to Facebook much and just have my Tweets copied there as 'status updates,' I'm so lazy.

My twitter account is here.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #54
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiR View Post
I have been using Twitter for the last 6 days and was wondering if other members use it and is so what are your ID's?

Thanks, AndiR
Andi_Roberts on twitter

No, not using it. I don't see a point in it.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #55
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Sonist is #bored
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #56
ezzellk
ezzellk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I use Nambu on OSX, it has grouping and GROWL notifications, pretty neat little app for a beta
Thanks for the note about Nambu. I tried it, and like it much better than reading in the browser. I'll try the iPhone app next.

K
ezzellk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #57
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzellk View Post
Thanks for the note about Nambu. I tried it, and like it much better than reading in the browser. I'll try the iPhone app next.

K
There's also Tweetie, which is pretty good : http://www.atebits.com/tweetie-mac/ it does cost $14.99 though (which is way overpriced, considering it does the same as Nambu).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #58
ezzellk
ezzellk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I use Twitter professionally. It is blocked at work, but I can read it from iTweet.net. I only follow people who are posting links to good articles, etc. It is a lot easier than trying to send emails to everyone every time you find something. I can read it on my phone, but prefer to read it at my computer.

I use Facebook personally, but don't spend much time there. I find it is mostly gossip, but sometimes I need something light. I usually read it on my phone at a long stop light, or while waiting around somewhere. I have actually found friends I haven't heard from in a long time (from high school and college). It's nice to finally be in touch with some of them.
ezzellk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #59
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzellk View Post
I have actually found friends I haven't heard from in a long time (from high school and college). It's nice to finally be in touch with some of them.
That's the main reason I don't use Facebook
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #60
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
That's the main reason I don't use Facebook
double ditto! If you're not in my recent call list its for a reason.