Notices

Old 05-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
AndyCapon
Enthusiast
AndyCapon began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook & iLiad
New Cybook - Buggy as hell

Hi Guys,

I have been using my new Cybook for a few hours, in this time it has reset itself about 10 times and totally hung twice requiring a reset with the little button on the back.

pdfs seem to really kill it but also pdfs I have converted with mobireader.

It has even hung at the library screen.

Is this sort of thing normal?

Cheers

Andy
AndyCapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Did you charge it before you used it?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
AndyCapon
Enthusiast

Yep fully charged.

I have just installed the new firmware, seems to have done it some good.

Cheers

Andy
Old 05-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCapon View Post
Yep fully charged.

I have just installed the new firmware, seems to have done it some good.

Cheers

Andy
Andy,

Yes, with the current Build, this is pretty much a "given" for many PDF files. Now you can either back down to Build 538 of the firmware, or you can switch over completely to mobi ebooks.

However, some people who prefer PDF *may* have other suggestions which will help if you must stick to PDF.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PDF support is pretty "basic" (to put it charitably) in the current firmware - it was added as a last-minute addition when the Gen3 was initially launched. Best to wait for it to be improved, I think (and improvements are promised for the next firmware release) before buying a Gen3 if PDFs feature highly in your priority list.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
AndyCapon
Enthusiast

Hi Harry,

Unfortunately I already purchased the thing, especially to read pdf files!

I must admit as the Bookeen site advertised it as being able to read pdf files I expected it to do so.

Also MobiPocket seems to do a pretty bad job of converting pdf files, are there any other solutions for getting my pdf files onto the cybook?

Cheers

Andy
Old 05-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
shirleybaird
shirleybaird began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen gen3
Can you convert your pdf's to some other more compatible format? I know that requires acrobat professional, another outlay of money...
Shirley
shirleybaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are cheaper solutions to convert PDF to some other format then Adobe Acrobat. But do they work any better? I cannot say. Also I know for a fact that Acrobat is not perfect. It makes plenty of mistakes when it comes to converting from PDF to something else.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are cheaper solutions to convert PDF to some other format then Adobe Acrobat. But do they work any better? I cannot say. Also I know for a fact that Acrobat is not perfect. It makes plenty of mistakes when it comes to converting from PDF to something else.
The Able pdf convertor I tried the sample version of created a perfect DOC/RTF version of the document. But, when I view it on the Sony it didn't look so nice. Nor did saving it to text. Perhaps the CyBooks rtf viewer would be better.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Well I used PDFs from time to time and they usually work Ok.
Some larger more complex docs do cause a reboot.
However, after the new firmware now I cannot read the Star Wars book freebie that was posted here few weeks ago. Actually its content is pretty basic, so was surprised.
I generally try to "Save as text" PDFs that don't work or use MobiPocket Creator to go to MobiPocket.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:42 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The Able pdf convertor I tried the sample version of created a perfect DOC/RTF version of the document. But, when I view it on the Sony it didn't look so nice. Nor did saving it to text. Perhaps the CyBooks rtf viewer would be better.

BOb
Unfortunately the Gen3 doesn't do RTF, Bob!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Yeah, more's the pity.

derek
Old 05-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Although I prefer the Mobi support of the Gen3 to the BBeB support of the Sony Reader when it comes to its primary eBook format, for "secondary" format support I think that the Sony's limited support for RTF is distinctly more useful than the Gen3's limited support for HTML.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Although I prefer the Mobi support of the Gen3 to the BBeB support of the Sony Reader when it comes to its primary eBook format, for "secondary" format support I think that the Sony's limited support for RTF is distinctly more useful than the Gen3's limited support for HTML.
I would agree with you. Further, while RTF has been around for a while, I think the HTML format is far cleaner to implement than RTF and I do not see why it is taking so long to implement a more complete form of HTML support on the Cybook. M'GAWD - MenuetOS (a flipping home-brew assembly-language OS) has HTML support already!!!

Derek
Old 05-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I think Able has a pdf to html option too. I can't recall.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote