Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Editing a mobi book

If you have a mobi book without DRM and you want to fix typos or add active links to chapters what program would you use? Word or change it to epub then Sigil then back to mobi, something else?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
oh, oh, I know! (raises hand, waves wildly) - I just wrote about this in my calibre help file!

the help file is at:

http://stu.wccnet.edu/~rprice/Eng218...0Help/index.ht

The procedure is under Other Fun Stuff.

here's the procedure:

For this particular procedure, you'll need to start with a mobi format and the Mobi Unpack plugin. Note that this procedure will only work with non-DRM'd files. I recommend that you use a second copy of the book file for this procedure, rather than working directly in the original copy of the book file.\

The description in step 9 assumes a Microsoft Windows operating system. The exact procedure may vary depending on your operating system.

1. If necessary, convert the file to mobi.
2. Install the Mobi Unpack plugin.
3. Right-click the name of the book to be unpacked.
4. From the menu, select Customize Mobi-unpack.
a. In the dialog box, enter the path and file name to where
the unpacked files will be placed.
b. Click OK
5. Unpack the mobi file.
To unpack a mobi file:
a. Right-lick on the name of the book to be unpacked to select it.
b. From the menu, select Mobi > Unpack.
6. Open the folder or directory in which the unpacked files have been placed.
7. Using Notepad, Notepad++, or other text editor, edit the file. Save your changes.
8. In the Mobi Unpacked directory or folder, shift-click on the the files
associated with the book to select them. There may be three of them:
an HTML file, an OPF file, and an NCX file.
9. Zip the files.
How to zip files in Windows 7.
a. Right-click on the selected files.
b. From the menu, select Send To.
c. From the Send To menu, select Compressed (zipped) folder.
10. Change the name of the compressed folder to the name of the book,
and give it the extension .epub.
11. Delete the original book from the calibre library.
12. Add the new epub book to your calibre library.
13. If necessary, convert the book to mobi.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 07-31-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: adding numbers to steps - they got lost.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Mobi forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Convert the mobi to ePub, clean it up so it's well formatted. Fix the error(s)/make the changes and then convert to Mobi. Use Sigil to edit the ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Hmm typically I have been converting the .mobi to a .zip (zipped html files)
then I unzip the file and edit the book.html file with a text editor (I use TextPad)
Then zip the files back up and convert the .zip file back to a .mobi file.

Cons: I cant see formatting when I use the text editor
Pros: but typically I am just fixing typos. Also I am very familiar with TextPad and can make use of its REgEx functions in search and replace and macro creation.

I have never used Sigil. So don't know if I am doing more work then I need to.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert