Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Welcome all new Nook owners

judging by how huge the viewership has been on the nook subforum, I think it might have had over 600 viewers at one point today, it seems Santa was nice to a whole new genereation of nook readers.

this is a great place to share experiences, tips and tricks, books, deals, troubleshooting, questions if you are confused etc.

Don't be shy and jump in..... the water's warm
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
2twisty
2twisty began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1005xx
Yup. had mine all of 3.5 days. I've read 3 novels and just got done rooting it.

Woot!
2twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
roger_15
Enthusiast
roger_15 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 3G/NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twisty View Post
Yup. had mine all of 3.5 days. I've read 3 novels and just got done rooting it.

Woot!
You couldn't possibly have children. I was lucky to find the time to hook up and
configure my Wi-Fi access point to my network.

I've had a Nook 3g for a few months but my lovely wife decided I needed a
Nook Color too. Bless her.

Speaking of access points, my twenty-one year-old son dropped by with his
girlfriend and of course they wanted to see my new Nook. "Ah," I thought, "I'll
find a good book with graphics to show off the NC's capabilities."

I'm a new EMT-B so I have some medical books that include pictures that
take great advantage of the NC's powers. I choose a new one that I had
scanned through earlier and had some good drawings and pictures. Very
detailed stuff.

The first page was text and so were the next few. I didn't bother to read it though, I was looking for pictures. The first picture I found was a drawing of
the female reproduction system. No biggie, I'll just move on.

The next three pages were detailed photographs of the--uh--access point
for newborns to the world. Oh boy, what was I thinking...
roger_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma

Tell him it's payback for all those embarrassing kid moments...
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
mckait
mckait began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
I received a nook color for christmas. My sister received on too.. so we will be able to share reads. I am sort of looking forward to it, and sort of ambivalent, sort of excited and sort of ??

Anyone else feeling ambivalent?

The first thing I wanted to download was the audio of Craig Ferguson's American on Purpose .. and it isn't available. lol . I haven't picked up anything new yet. Couldn't shop yesterday , as their servers were too loaded.
mckait is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What functions and/or features attracted you to the Nook and/or the Nook Color? Some of my pals are asking me this question.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
FarmBoy
FarmBoy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Why I bought a Nook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What functions and/or features attracted you to the Nook and/or the Nook Color? Some of my pals are asking me this question.
Well, back in March 2010....

a) battery could be replaced

b) internal storage could be upgraded with my own chip

c) EPUB support, as well as PDF, and I can "sideload" anything I want without having to go through the vendor...

d) more screen, less case (no keyboard)

e) WiFi support as well as cell modem.

After working with the Nook for about 9 months:

a) Thanks to Calibre, there is no need to store a lot of books on the Nook itself, especially since it is hard to navigate. Now I only keep the book(s) I am reading on the device

b) Touchscreen typing is a bit rough -- maybe a dedicated keyboard is not that bad.

c) Out in the sticks there is no WiFi, so the cell modem is handy. In town I use my own home network -- have yet to try a public hot spot.

d) I usually do not carry the Nook with me (certainly not to the BN store, may have to try that some day

e) BN has come through with some nice software upgrades since I purchased my unit -- the most recent one was the best. It has been fairly stable, though it did reset on me once while I was away from home (and WiFi) leaving me high and dry. No idea why this happened.

f) BN has a "Free Fridays" blog that usually points to something "free" or "cheap" and so I have accumulated a variety of books. They even had a cheap Bible (Archaeological NIV), but trying to use this taught me where the limits are on hardware-based eInk book readers.

Would I still buy a Nook today? Not sure... The big question is where do you want to keep your library? Fortunately the publishing houses are providing PC and phone-based readers for their content so you won't lose it all.

FB
FarmBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
Talking New Nook Color Owner

Hi Guys and Gals,

got my new Nook Color yesterday for Christmas.

It's a good device, but I guess, that my fingers are too big have to learn to be more precise.

Pandora is great, but sucksa lot of Battery life out.

Calibre works great. All my covers which i transferred for my Sony reader were transported to the chip in the Nook and looks great.

Wifi sucks some times.

First charge lasted for 6 hours, half of that time with wifi on and radio, too.

Got my update on 1.0.1. yesterday via wifi.

hpe, that frojo will come soon

Marry Christmas

Harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
BestTim
BestTim began at the beginning.

Device: nook wi-fi
Got a Nook for x-mas. Gift from a friend as I could not afford one myself. Children are expensive, especially at Christmas time. Most of the friends I hang out with have all settled on the Nook and she loaded a couple hundred books on it that she thought I might like before giving it to me. I've not had an E-Book reader before and I think I might really like this thing after having used it for a few days.

Had a bit of difficulty getting it hooked to the WiFi, but a few tweaks of the router took care of that issue, and I still need to register it with B&N. I understand one must set up an account with the web site before doing that though.

And now two of my favorite things start with the letters n-o-o-k.

Gotta love that
BestTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestTim View Post
And now two of my favorite things start with the letters n-o-o-k.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
denijo72
denijo72 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I just got my Nook for chritstmas I love it and have lots of questions.
denijo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
JJzReader
JJzReader began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I also got my nook for Christmas. Love it. Having a difficult time rooting though.
JJzReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
Quantalume
Quantalume began at the beginning.

Device: nook wifi
I've had my nook classic for about a month now and don't know how I've done without one. I take it everywhere. I really like the e-ink display and hope B&N continues to develop readers using it. An e-ink device with a 10" display would be nice.
Quantalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #14
Becky Morgan
Becky Morgan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook Christmas? Yes. Which will be a curse word hereafter. At least my husband is speaking to me again after he sulked for a few hours. He tried to use the Nook, was barely restrained from throwing it out the door, and wanted to go buy me a Kindle to replace it. We can't afford a Kindle and couldn't really afford this techno-brick, so failure is not an option. B&N tells me there's nothing wrong with this one and that they only gave it a 14-day warranty, or they'd have had it back in the mail yesterday. I refuse to have an expensive brick doorstop and I WILL make this thing work somehow.

Background on me: 52, no close vision problems, highly light-sensitive eyes. I have used computers in one form or another since 1975 and, while hardly a hacker, generally know when something is acting screwy. I have used several e-reader programs over the years and have been using an iPod Touch with Stanza in night mode for bedtime reading so DH isn't awakened by light in the room. I like it and haven't had any significant problems with any of the Project Gutenberg downloads I use. I don't read many novels, seldom look at anything graphics-intensive, and pick most old texts up as .txt files to save space since the formatting is nothing special.

Problem 1: I understand that B&N was down most of the weekend. Yesterday, I was able to get online for a few minutes at a time from our home wifi, but most websites timed out because it's WildBlue satellite and that's apparently too slow for the Nook(!--isn't that about like something being too slow for a snail?) 3G doesn't work here. B&N says to use their site, bring the Nook to their store. The nearest one is an hour and a half away and I would need to rent a car to get there. If the middle of the night is the only option, I'll use it, but I will not be happy.

Problem 2: Is everyone's display excruciatingly slow? I can usually finish an easy sudoku in two minutes. When I finally got the Nook to stay on long enough to play, it took almost half an hour, most of it in wait time while the screen redrew. I set the sleep time for ten minutes, but it turns off the touchscreen after a few seconds and the whole thing in two minutes. (Yes, it charged overnight before I tried to use it.) The user manual is the only thing with more than one page, and it's very....very....slow...to...display...and...even.. .slower...to...turn.

Problem 3: Charcoal gray on khaki is the normal screen color scheme according to tech support. It's "so you can read in the sun on your lunch hour". I work from home, and "sun" and "lunch hour" will not mean much in the dark Ohio rainforest until next spring, if then. Remember the light-sensitive eyes? I can barely see the print. This is Perfectly Normal according to B&N. The suggested cure is a booklight. Um, that's why I don't read dead trees in bed: the light wakes up my husband.

This is not fun. I need some better ideas, please.
Becky Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
rrsafety
rrsafety began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Got a basic Nook for my 11 year old daughter who loves to read and was kind of hoping that it would be as easy to use as an iPod for her. Really a strange situation when you have to drive through a snow storm to the parking lot of a McDonald's restaurant so you can hook into the wifi to register the darn thing. Drove home and connected it to my computer and it still wouldn't let me download any books into the library. Called three stores to ask how I can by a book from the website and just download it to my Nook and they all said "can't be done". They said I should "buy it online from my computer" and then drive back to the McDonald's to actually download the book via wifi. I called the 1-800 number (three attempts, two disconnects - total on hold wait time 75 minutes) and they steered me to a video on the nook website that showed people putting stuff into "my documents" but didn't show how to simply buy a book online at B&N and put it into my library. I'm quite amazed at how strange this all is. Who was in the development room for this product and decided to make it so much worse than iTunes?
Any suggestions? I just want to buy a book and put it in my library.
rrsafety is offline   Reply With Quote