Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #106
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Low light

I had the same experience this morning: I took the subway with my Jetbook Color. With that poor light I can say that screen background recall me the LCD watch like this:

But even the contrast was fine and I could read with no effert.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MR11130-%283%29.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	83317  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-02-2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Changed overly large graphic to a thumbnail attachment.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #107
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
wrist watch, old calculator; palmtop,
I thought it would be similar to these; though certain palmtops have a way worse display background than the jetbook.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #108
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I said, I'm happy with Triton's contrast.
In conclusion: I thought there will be future for this technology and for JBC even if it can be surely improveable
Old 03-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #109
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since most major issues seem to be with software issues, and cost, there is a bright future; as many software issues get solved, and cost comes down!

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-04-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #110
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
My experience with JBC (compare to Kindle DX and Sony T1)

Hi everyone!
I read all the posts at this forum about JBC since I own JBC at least for now (I hope that I can return it soon to Ectaco for the refund which is not so easy to do but I hope Paypal will help me with this issue). I own JBC for 7 days now and very disappointed with this device. I also own Kindle DXG (for 2 month) and Sony T1 reader (for about a month). I bought all these 3 readers hoping to reduce eye strain on my eyes and my 10 years old son’s eyes. So far I am very satisfied with Sony T1 and Kindle DX and very disappointed with JBC. Sorry I couldn’t figure out how to add to my profile Kindle DX and Sony T1. I registered just yesterday on this forum. Anyway, let me explain my negative position toward JBC using some pictures. The same PDF file is displayed on all the pictures. I used the same camera to take all this pictures, the same light conditions and the original of this PDF file can be found somewhere at this forum. I start with the picture of this file on PC screen.
Then the picture of the same file on Sony T1 (I was able to increase the letter size on Sony T1 very easy – larger letter are more comfortable for my eyes. This is another reason I bought two 9.7’’ readers for my child and myself – DX and JBC. On DX and JBL I could only zoom this file but I don’t enjoy navigating through the zoomed PDF page on both Kindle DX and JBC (but to be honest DX is doing it about 3 times faster than JBC). So I left this page how it is on JBC and DX and took the picture.
As you can see on the original PDF file the title “Preface” has pretty bright blue background and the letters in the first sentence are blue, too. The main selling point of JBC is color eInk. Can you see any blue color on such dark JBC’s screen at the picture? I cannot – not on the picture and practically not on the original. I think the original blue color looks much better as grey contrast color on Kindle DX than so called blue on JBC. You can clearly see how dark and grey is the screen on JBC compare to T1 and DX. JBC DOES cause a lot of eye strain on my eyes while DX and T1 practically don’t cause any (with normal indoor lighting). I think it would be more appropriate to compare eye strain between JBC and iPad 2 which I also own and which is known to cause some eye strain during long reading sessions. In my opinion in normal indoor light conditions my eyes get more stressed on JBC than on Ipad 2 - mainly because of very dark grey screen of JBC. In the very bright sunlight outdoor JBC causes less eye strain for me that iPad 2. Everyone who ever tried to read books or watch video on iPad 2 on bright sunshine outdoor will probably understand what I am talking about. But most of reading on 9.7” readers occurs indoor in normal light. So for my purpose of comfortable reading JBC is not the right device. Also please look at thitd picture that shows the artefacts on JBL. On this picture you practically can read 2 pages on JBC’c screen - the previous page and the current one.
From my experience Kindle DX and Sony T1 both are much better quality reading devices. It is MUCH more comfortable to read on their eInk Pearl screens compare to eInk Triton of JBC. Also from my experience Kindle DX is at least 3 times faster than JBC, and Sony T1 is at least 5 times faster than JBC. So far I really like only 2 things on JBC – battery life (charged it just once – a week ago and it is still has 75% of charge but I couldn’t read as much on JBC as my son and I read on Kindle DX and Sony T1 since it is very uncomfortable for us to read on JBC for longer sessions) and nice leather case it came with. But battery life is pretty good on my Sony T1 and Kindle DX, too.
Now about pricing. I bought refurbished Kindle DX in early January for $199.95. Our Kindle DX was refurbished but we didn’t have any problems with it so far especially considering the very heavy usage of this device at our family. I paid $88 for my Sony T1 around Valentine’s Day (about a month ago). It is a great Reader with Android on it. There are some Community developed tools for Sony T1 that I found on this forum. With these tools it is ALMOST ideal Reader for me (it would be ideal for our family if it would have 9.7” screen instead of 6”). For example I would choose Sony T1 between three devices on my picture to comfortably read the PDF file which I use in this post. Even with its 6” screen it is much more comfortable for my eyes – the easy adjustable font size that fits the full page and fast page turning. Consider all this I don’t think the price of JBC (currently $499.99) makes any sense. Honestly I woudn’t pay even $50 for JBC if to compare JBC with my ALMOST ideal Sony T1 for which I paid $88. And if I would have the opportunity to see and try JBC in the store before buying it I simply would never buy JBC. In my opinion, the pictures of JBC on Ectaco’s website and even on JBC’s box are very misleading. My guess is that Photoshop was heavyly used to create these pictures. There is no way to make the JBC's screen SO light (with any lightening conditions) in reality.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PC Screen.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	841.0 KB
ID:	83936   Click image for larger version

Name:	SonyT1_JBC_Kindle_DX.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	914.8 KB
ID:	83937   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02009.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	951.5 KB
ID:	83938  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Original PDF.PDF (764.9 KB, 502 views)

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-14-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #111
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Your position is clear. I hope you can return it as you wish.

Before you do it, may I ask you please a picture with better definition of DXG & JBC together, even with some other files?

You see, under the Triton's colour layer there's a Pearl e-ink screen with very good resolution (higher than the DXG), but the colour layer over it, definitely wastes its potential in terms of readibility, or at least this is the idea I have at present.

I would like to understand how much 7under which conditions this layer ruins the device's readability. Some better comparative pics would help, as I know really well the DXG.

There's no doubt at all that promotional pictures are heavily shopped.

If you search around you'll find pictures by users where the text is nicely readable, others where the text is hardly intelligible because of the dark background and the way light interacts with the surface of the Triton.
This is because with e-ink screens, different light conditions (colour, intensity, angle) can heavily affect readibility, but the Triton's colour layer makes things more difficult to work properly.

The good thing about the Pearl of Sony T1 and DXG screen is that they're readable in any condition, almost always comfortable. On the opposite, seems that in many conditions, the jbc is not comfortable to read (or at least this is my idea, based on the many pics I've seen).

The ones who want to deal with it, will have to find a proper light setting (which is still possible, like mod186k1's pictures show).

About colours, to make them display a little better you have to pump up the original saturation. If you think one doesnt have the time to edit all the files he uses, I'm with you.

Thank you!

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-14-2012 at 09:23 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #112
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

More pictures of JBC and DX tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Your position is clear. I hope you can return it as you wish.

Before you do it, may I ask you please a picture with better definition of DXG & JBC together, even with some other files?
Yes. I will try do take more pictures (JBC and Kindle DX) tomorrow with the normal day light without using the flash on my camera. Right now, in the evening with the artificial light in our house, JBC looks dark grey (closer to black I would say). Believe me, to see black letters on dark grey screen is not fun at all.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #113
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
Believe me, to see black letters on dark grey screen is not fun at all.
I find it just as discomforting as seeing grey letters on a white background )(which lots of e-ink devices have).

The only thing you need is a black frame, and a good backlight. Ectaco shines in daylight.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #114
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I find it just as discomforting as seeing grey letters on a white background )(which lots of e-ink devices have).

The only thing you need is a black frame, and a good backlight. Ectaco shines in daylight.
A black frame really won't help. Floodlights on the other hand...

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #115
mod186k1
Addict

For instance I attached the my JBC screenshot in (according to me) best condition.

Name:	DSCN0989.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	724.8 KB
ID:	83956

The real problem is that particular type of color (very light cyan) don't activate all sub-pixell.
You have found a case in which Triton display responds to 600x800 resolution.
If I was Ectaco I'd resolve this problem introducing a contrast feature like the one on Sony-PRS650. In reality e-ink is not a contrast adjustable device but what Sony real do is to adjust the raster output before it came to screen.

P.s: this is a perfect text to use "reflow" feature. I see Reflow+Zoom solves the color problem but I know it is not a final solution

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-15-2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: I've not white-balanced the photo
Old 03-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #116
mod186k1
Addict

About reflow

Ok, see your document with Reflow + zoom 100%:

This is in sunny condition:

Name:	DSCN0990.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	645.5 KB
ID:	83963

And this is in the shadow of my room:

Name:	DSCN0991.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	729.9 KB
ID:	83964

It is perfectly readable isn't it? But if I have to use reflow and if the color are not important (it's the case of this document) I probably will use my PRS-650 or better I will convert into B/W document and read it on my JBC well.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #117
mod186k1
Addict

About the B/W vs Color issue

As I said the problem in your book is that kind of cyan used for text. And, as I just posted, according to me the best solution is for Ectaco to write a PDF/ePUB/DJVU viewer where user can adjust contrast and/or convert into B/W.

Since we have not this hypothetical feature yet (maybe never) I provide to convert the document in B/W and I also crop for best zoom fit-to-page:

Name:	DSCN0992.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	83965

P.s.: generating the B/W version is easy in windows with Acrobat. But I use linux and free software so I just do:
Code:
pdf2ps original.pdf o.ps
ps2pdf -sColorConversionStrategy=Gray -dProcessColorModel=/DeviceGray \
          o.ps original-bw.pdf
pdfshuffler original-bw.pdf ;# output to "original-bw_cropped.pdf"
The results are:
original-bw.pdf
original-bw_cropped.pdf

@Valentinka: try the BW cropped version on your JBC and on your kindle too. Kindle surely will look better white background, but resolution are maybe could surprise us.

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-15-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #118
Valentinka
Zealot

What the PERFECTLY readable means

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
Ok, see your document with Reflow + zoom 100%:

This is in sunny condition:
Attachment 83963

And this is in the shadow of my room:
Attachment 83964

It is perfectly readable isn't it? But if I have to use reflow and if the color are not important (it's the case of this document) I probably will use my PRS-650 or better I will convert into B/W document and read it on my JBC well.
I would say this documenty is JUST readable now, not PERFECTLY. This is the main problem with JBC - it lists a lot of features in its specifications but practically none of the main features is done WELL. This PDF file is the good example. To make this document just READABLE you need: 1) do yourself some manipulations with it (using - a) DIFFERENT hardware (your PC in this case), b) different software not even included with JBC (you used Adobe Acrobat or something similar on your PC, right?), c) your personal time to figure out and do all this manipulations, 2) find the place with PERFECT lightening conditions to read it (if you don't have it you have to (according my experiance with JBC) to invest more money in changing LIGHTENING conditions in your house or better to move to different house with better indoor light). And in my opinion even after that this document is far from being PERFECTLY readable because of such dark grey screen (which causes the significant eye strain at least for me).

Would you please do me a favor and upload here your modified PDF document (after reflow and 100% zoom) because honestly I don't even know how to do it? Yes, I can google "reflow and zoom PDF with Adobe Acrobat" and figure it out but I don't have time for it right now. Then I can load your modified document on my Kindle DX and JBC, take the pictures of both devices and show you and everyone what the difference is and how closer to being PERFECT the same document looks on DX. At least in terms of eye strain.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #119
Valentinka
Zealot

Thanks for the file!

Oh. I see you posted your modified file. Thanks! I am going to work on my pictures soon when the indoor light will get better
Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #120
mod186k1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
Would you please do me a favor and upload here your modified PDF document (after reflow and 100% zoom)
Relow + 100% zoom is the only manipulation you can do directly on your Jetbook Color.
When you are in PDF:
  1. Push "Menu" button
  2. Click on "Reflow"
  3. Push "Menu" button again
  4. Click on "Zoom" and select "100%"