Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #181
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
What is the purpose of the little clock symbol that is now displayed beside the airplane-mode symbol at the upper right of the home screen in 1.9.14? I'm happy to see the time shown now when I tap the page while reading, but I can't see any link with the clock symbol on the home page.
On the home screen, just tap the clock symbol. Current time will be shown for about 10 seconds.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #182
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
If you tap the clock symbol while on the Home page the time will be displayed for about 10 seconds.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #183
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I actually filled up my KT to the point where it gave me a Dialog box telling me "Disk is Full".. :P I guess I have a TON of reading to get through before that message disappears from my Wifi syncs.. LOL

Funny it didn't do this till 1.9.14.. Before this update the connection would fail instead..
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #184
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I got this message too today. My disk was not full. I went to "My Computer" to look and something was happening--I can't describe it very well, but int he upper portion of the screen, a bar sorta moved along until it got all the way to the right and then, poof, the disk full message was gone and things proceeded normally.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:46 AM   #185
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I got this message too today. My disk was not full. I went to "My Computer" to look and something was happening--I can't describe it very well, but int he upper portion of the screen, a bar sorta moved along until it got all the way to the right and then, poof, the disk full message was gone and things proceeded normally.
I wasn't aware the KT had a "My Computer".. Do you mean the dialog showed up on your PC or on your Kobo Touch's screen?.. Mine was the Kobo Touch.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #186
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The message and everything else showed on my PC. The disk full message as part of the Kobo Desktop (which I was syncing with).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #187
whit-merule
whit-merule began at the beginning.

Problem reading epubs converted from html on 1.9.14

Hi all,

I suspect this is a problem with 1.9.14, as it started on the same day as I upgraded my Kobo Touch to use that. Until that point, I could read epubs converted from an html file created in MS Word (ie, have a word document open in word, save it as html using word's internal functionality, convert it in calibre or similar to an epub, drag/drop onto the kobo).

Formatting, table of contents etc would remain intact from my word document - particularly useful, as I often use my KT and a notebook (the actual paper kind!) to edit my own work.

After the upgrade to 1.9.14, however, I found I couldn't read these epubs on my KT anymore. While calibre's internal epub reader has no problem with them, if I open them on the KT every page looks blank - although the number of pages, the size of the file, and even the table of contents remain intact.

This only occurs (so far as I can find) with epubs created by this method. Epubs created by converting html files from a website, or by converting a pdf file, or downloaded directly as epubs, don't have this problem - and neither, weirdly enough, do epubs created by this method which were on my KT before the shift to 1.9.14.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this just me, or some weird behaviour on the part of my KT? Or is my brain just too frazzled tonight to notice something that ought to be really obvious?

Thanks!
whit-merule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #188
Wispy
Wispy began at the beginning.

I was excited to see the new Footnote/Endnote functionality listed in the release notes. This feature is very important to me and will determine my future choice of device. However, endnote links fail to work for me on my Kobo running 1.9.14 95+% of the time. I just get pageturns, or if I hold down on the link for longer, highlighting of the link with the annotation, search, Facebook, etc options.

Is there some special technique I should be using to make these links work? Is the footnote/endnote functionality documented somewhere?

I don't use kepubs. I bought the Kobo Touch specifically because it didn't try to force me to buy books from just one store.

Thanks for any help.
Wispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #189
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Essentially, the endnote/footnote functionality has never worked very well for side-loaded EPUBs. In contrast, with the 1.9.12 firmware release, the endnote/footnote functionality for Kobo EPUBs now works very well and is a pleasure to use.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #190
Dan_P
Dan_P began at the beginning.

Device: kObO
some micro sd problems

Recently updated the firmware from 1.9.12 to 1.9.14 hoping that it wolud solve the problem with micro SD cards that gets ejected by the system.
no such luck.

Used the KT with transcend a 2gb class 4 with no problems for about 3 month.
changed to the 8gb transcend class 6 card same problems as others here on the forum.
edit: same problem/experience with a 16gb class 10 not sure of the mfct

card is detected, mounted. ok for a while 60 seconds if no interaction with the kt after that, the card is ejected. if you was able to open a book the book is closed and you are returned to the home screen.
if you constantly(every 30 seconds or thereabout) touch the screen while reading hte card is fine and you can read page after page.

tried the sd association format, no luck.

what i did notice that i have not seen anybody comment on, perhaps some more readers on the forum can try this? is that if you connect the kt to a power source i.e. through the microusb. The sd card works as it should with no spontanious ejects.

appears to me that either the hw and the circuits in this way gets the voltage and the current needed such that the flanks, slew and card signalling work. or some power saving feature does not get activated causing the timing? problems...or something else....

anyway, thought i would share my findings in the hope that it will get sorted....at least in the next version.... *sigh*

- other problems, metadata on pdf after change does not change/update in the kobo. i.e. the sqllite database update algorithm does not realise that the pdf contains changed metadata.

- some random restarts.

- encrypted wpa wifi hotspot through an android phone not working, non encrypted ok. still trying to understand what is going wrong. encrypted wifi (wpa2) )to home network ok.
sorted!, something to do with password length/ acess control/refresh of kobo wifi login

Last edited by Dan_P; 12-23-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #191
Dan_P
Dan_P began at the beginning.

Device: kObO
wellllll

of course there was a more recent fw version, 15 min after my previous post
above post is obsolete!
not sure that i can keep up with kobos mad pace on firmwares...
1.9.12 yesterday for me...1.9.16 today...where is this going to end???

but in a good way read all about my adventures in 1.9.16 land
in the 1.9.16 thread
Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote