Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
40cc
40cc began at the beginning.

Device: Asus Eee
Scanning a Hardcover

I have a hardcover yearbook that is printed almost rimless. If I try to put it on my simple flat bed scanner, it will not work.

Is there some way, destructive would be okay too, to scan this book easily?
40cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Use a digital camera instead.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
40cc
40cc began at the beginning.

Device: Asus Eee
The problem is that it is pretty hard to open the book in 90°. Would it be easy to cut it apart with house hold items?
40cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you don't mind destroying it, the easy way is to cut off the spine using a metal rule and a sharp knife.

Otherwise, people have built rigs to make photographing pages easy. http://www.diybookscanner.org/ seems to be the right place to look.

And this wiki page seems to have all the info you'd need to build your own non-destructive book scanner.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-10-2011 at 07:17 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I just did this with a book of mine. My technique was fairly caveman-ish, but it did the job. I took a box cutter and cut off the spine, then scanned the loose pages. I used the OCR component of Acrobat Professional, then copied and pasted into Word. I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but these were the tools I had at hand. In the end, it worked.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert