Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 08-24-2016, 06:26 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Webster, Jean: Just Patty & When Patty Went to College. v1. 24 Aug 2016

JUST PATTY
& WHEN PATTY WENT TO COLLEGE.

By Jean Webster (1876–1916)

When Patty Went to College was first published in 1903; Just Patty in 1911.
This book is in the public domain in countries where copyright is “Life+99” or less, and in the USA. Due to copyright restrictions, illustrations have been omitted. (Cover sketch is by Charles Dana Gibson, famed creator of the Gibson Girls art.)

---------------
Jean Webster (pseudonym for Alice Jane Chandler Webster) was an American author and playwright. Her best-known books feature lively and likeable young female protagonists who come of age intellectually, morally, and socially; with enough humor, snappy dialogue, and gently biting social commentary to make her books enjoyable to modern readers.
The Patty Wyatt books narrate humorous episodes in the school life of a bright and mischievous adolescent girl. A gratifying look back at a gentler, more innocent era, with fun at the forefront.

(When Patty Went to College was Webster’s first published book; but Just Patty, the prequel about her boarding school experiences, is placed first in this edition to maintain the story arc.)

EXCERPT FROM JUST PATTY
Spoiler:
[The teachers are conferring with the school headmistress.]

“It is her impudence,” said Miss Lord, “that is so exasperating.”

“That’s – just Patty!” the Dowager laughed. “I must confess that I find all three of them amusing. It’s good, healthy mischief and I wish there were more of it. They don’t bribe the maids to mail letters, or smuggle in candy, or flirt with the soda-water clerk. They at least can be trusted.”

“Trusted!” gasped Miss Lord.

“To break every minor rule with cheerful unconcern,” nodded the Dowager, “but never to do the slightest thing dishonorable. They have kind hearts and the girls all love them—”

A knock sounded on the door with startling suddenness, and before anyone could reply, the door burst open and Keren-happuch appeared on the threshold. She was clutching with one hand the folds of a brilliant Japanese kimono, the other she reserved for gestures. The kimono was sprinkled with fire-eating dragons as large as cats; and to the astonished spectators, Keren’s flushed face and disheveled hair seemed to carry out the decorative scheme. The Dowager’s private study was a sacred spot, reserved for interviews of formality; never had a pupil presented herself in such unceremonious garb.

“Keren!” cried Miss Wadsworth. “What has happened?”

“I want a new roommate! I can’t stand Priscilla any longer. She’s been having a birthday party in my room—”

“A birthday party?” Mrs. Trent turned questioningly to Miss Wadsworth.

She nodded unhappily.

“Yesterday was Priscilla’s birthday, and she received a box from her aunt. This being Friday night, I gave her permission—”

“Certainly.” The Dowager turned to the tragic figure in the center of the floor. “It is Priscilla’s room as much as yours and—”

Keren plunged into a sea of words. The four leaned forward in a strained endeavor to pluck some sense from the torrent.

“They used my bed for a table because it wasn’t against the wall, and Patty tipped a pot of chocolate over in the middle of it. She said it was an accident – but she did it on purpose – I know she did! And because I objected, Priscilla said it wasn’t polite to notice when a guest spilled anything, and she tipped a glass of currant jelly on my pillow, to make Patty feel comfortable. That was the polite thing for a hostess to do, she said; they learned it last year in manner class. And the chocolate soaked right through, and Conny Wilder said it was fortunate I was thin, because I could sleep in a curve around it; if it had happened to Irene McCullough, she would have had to sleep in it, because she’s so big she takes up the whole bed. And Priscilla said I could be thankful tomorrow’s Saturday when we get clean sheets; it might have happened so that I would have had to sleep in that puddle of chocolate a whole week. And then the “Lights-out” rang, and they left me to clean up, and the housekeeper’s gone to bed, and I can’t get any fresh bed clothes, and I won’t sleep that way! I’m not used to sleeping in chocolaty sheets. I don’t like America and I hate girls.”

Tears were dripping from Keren’s cheeks onto the fire-breathing dragons below. The Dowager, without comment, rose and rang the bell.

“Katie,” she said, as the maid on duty appeared at the door, “some fresh sheets for Miss Keren, please, and remake her bed. That will do for tonight, Keren. Get to sleep as quickly as possible, and don’t talk. You mustn’t disturb the other girls. We can see about changing roommates tomorrow.”

Katie and the outraged dragons withdrew.

---------------
Text was obtained from gutenberg.org. Embedded fonts for titling and text inserts. Some transcription errors were corrected; punctuation, italics and diacritics formatted; some spelling and punctuation standardized; chapter heads cross-linked to Table of Contents.

---------------
Just the thing if you are in a nostalgic mood for the "good old days."
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coverThumb.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	151155  
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 WebsterJean-JustPatty--PattyWentCollege-KF8.azw3 (813.7 KB, 352 views)
File Type: mobi WebsterJean-JustPatty--PattyWentCollege-KF7.mobi (734.7 KB, 384 views)

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 08-24-2016 at 06:45 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boarding schools, college life, humor, women’s issues