Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Now, with a front-lit technology in place, these earlier screens that I found more than readable are now almost unreadable.

Don

Same here I can't read on my other eInk Kindles now. The text looks funny and the screen is just so dirty looking. I guess it's good to always have a back up.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #47
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I would like to say no....but I do love my toys. I just bought a used Kindle Touch with lighted cover. I will play with it, and then give it to my mother. If she wants it. I still use and play around with my Kindle Keyboard and my 2 Sony T1's. I'm toying with the idea of selling 1 or two of them.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #48
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
I
Would you ever buy another e-ink device that does not have this front-lit capability?
Absolutely. I have the Sony T2 and the Kindle4 non-touch, and they both suit my needs. I see the words on the screen and that's really all I need. And given that they'd likely not be as popular as the front-lit, they'd probably be cheaper.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #49
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
No. I think of it as one step forward in technology. There is no reason going backwards plus adding front light is very cheap

But the future frontlit device should have the option to turn off the light completely.
I am waiting for large scree front light device else i will buy i62HD with moon light .

Last edited by Feher; 01-30-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #50
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I don't know. I had Odyssey Frontlight for a few days and returned it. For the past couple of days I was reading reviews of Paperwhite and even put it in my basket to see the price (148 €) But then again Opus and K3 work very well (knock on wood) and I don't have the money to buy another ereader now. And I don't mind Kandle as I can buy cheap and longlasting batteries in Ikea.
I saw Kobo Glo in a shop and liked it a lot. I realised though whenever I see a new ereader I want to buy it and need to talk to myself seriously (suffered gadgetitis starting from Sony 650, Kobo Glo, Odyssey, Kobo Mini and now Paperwhite, none of those I bought except returned Odyssey)
Ah, shiny new gadgets and fiddling...

I think however soon there will be only ereaders with light...
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #51
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Would you ever buy another e-ink device that does not have this front-lit capability?
No, I wouldn't.

I pre-ordered my Paperwhite very early (in the UK), and suffered agonies while waiting for it reading all the concerns about colour-casts etc. and wondered if I'd done the right thing.

My e-reading up to that point had been a mixture of Sony e-ink in bright conditions and iPad when it's dull (in the UK, guess which was more common ...).

The Paperwhite, when it arrived, won me over completely right away. If I look carefully in certain lighting conditions, I can sometimes convince myself that there's a colour cast, but it really doesn't matter. The reading experience is much better than any of my previous options, and has replaced them all.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #52
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
I wasn't really sure about the front lit technology as I generally read with plenty of ambient light around. I have one of those clip on lights for my Kobo wireless, but I don't think I've used it since I purchased it. I wasn't sure if the upgrade was enough to interest me, but I got some Christmas money and decided to splurge and get a Kobo Glo and I was surprised by how much I love the technology. Now I find myself going to bed a half hour earlier just to read on it. During the warmer months I like to sit on the deck out back and read until dusk, I can see me staying out there longer now. After experiencing it first hand now I can't see myself ever going back to a reader without the front lit technology.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #53
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Only if it is much bigger like 10" and have color e-ink. Otherwise, no.

Once I get used to front lit, I don't want to go back. Reading with front lit is more pleasant than reading a printed book with a reading light. I am spoiled.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #54
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
When I first I heard about the Paperwhite I thought it would be a built in book light but the light totally changes the way the page is displayed.

The only way I can explain it it's like a image layer. You have a white background hiding the eINK background. The Light setting is like a transparency setting, the lower you go the more transparent the whiteness becomes so you start to see the eINK background underneath. The only difference is instead of a image it's actually a light that illuminates so you can read in the dark and the brightness goes lower as you change the setting down. That is the only way I know how to explain this new amazing technology.

Unless you see one in person it's really hard to understand how it looks and works. Pictures and videos don't really capture it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #55
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner-reader View Post
I found similar comments on other websites. Anyway, I'm not ready to buy a PW but to each their own, and PW is still much better than LCD.
Provide a link to that, please.

That sounds about as hokey as stuff like this, or "wifi allergies".
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #56
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
That sounds about as hokey as stuff like this, or "wifi allergies".
What, you don't set a quartz crystal at each corner of your monitor to re-align excess energies?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #57
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I'd buy a Paperwhite with Text to Speech, but since it doesn't have it, I'm really torn. I use TTS when I'm driving. But a lighted screen would be pretty convenient.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #58
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
No, I wouldn't. I'm not gadget-hungry, for one thing. I have no interest in a tablet, and my first and only other e-reader was the K3 that I bought about 2 1/2 years ago. None of the Kindles after the K3 interested me in the slightest until the PW. I wasn't sure about the touchscreen (which I've come to love), but the fact that it had a built-in light meant that I had to have it. I do most of my reading in bed at night, and hubby was always complaining about the light. I never had a case or a light because I like my devices naked, so the PW sounded perfect for me. I'll never go back.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #59
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I upgraded to a Kobo Glo from a Kobo Touch around xmas and I would never go back.
The convenience of being able to read in bed without turning on the bedside light and waking up my wife alone is enough for me.
but also in cinemas waiting for the main feature to start, dimly lit waiting rooms, boring meetings etc...

The list goes on where a discreet light on my ereader is far preferable to attaching a light device that spills light around and is generally inconvenient to carry around and attach.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #60
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I tried two PWs but the lighting didn't work for me. I had to set it to 20 to read in daytime which washed out the letters. Contrast was greatly reduced. Plus the green and pink haze.

If the lighting tech improves, then I would definitely try again.

The salesperson said I was a good candidate for a tablet as the settings and resolution have recently become better for reading.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote