Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #16
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkent View Post
I was just taken aback by how quickly they informed me of how to sideload books from other stores, something I already knew btw. You would think they could see that I had already bought, at least, over a hundred books, and owned each version of the Kobo and maybe it would be a good idea to retain me as a customer instead of just cutting me loose. Very strange customer service.
Some times the hardest thing to do is to convince the Person on the other end of the phone that they are not psychic and cannot possible know how their supervisor or manager will respond to your problem. It seems that some times a customer service rep decides that, that is how it is going to be no ifs and buts or anything about it. Yet oddly enough supervisors and especially management will rule in your favor once you get them on the phone and present your situation in a logical manner. But I am 100 percent sure that if you purchased an item they have a record of it.

Be insistent, and dont give up till you get the books back. They do pay attention to these forums and do seem to speak up every now and then to make it right.

Good luck....
JAck

Last edited by jackastor; 01-10-2013 at 03:39 PM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
clarkent
clarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Got an email yesterday that my case has been bumped up to a 2nd level cust. service rep. So...we will see. lol
clarkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkent View Post
Got an email yesterday that my case has been bumped up to a 2nd level cust. service rep. So...we will see. lol
Is that after emailing exec customer care? If you have not done so, I'd still do that, quote the current ticket number you have with regular CC, say you don't feel it's getting resolved quickly enough.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #19
clarkent
clarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Is that after emailing exec customer care? If you have not done so, I'd still do that, quote the current ticket number you have with regular CC, say you don't feel it's getting resolved quickly enough.

Yeah, that was after emailing exec cust. care.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
ElliEh
ElliEh began at the beginning.

I have had my Kobo Touch since Sept.is, 2012. I have not been purchasing books from Kobo but instead have been downloading them from my public library. I had no problems until last Sunday. Suddenly, my books are disappearing from my Kobo ereader when I power off. As long as I leave it in 'sleep mode' the books are there when I resume reading. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Kobo help yesterday and several emails today. They have escalated it to Tier 2 they tell me. I have also read that Kobo Arc owners are experiencing the same problem.
ElliEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliEh View Post
I have had my Kobo Touch since Sept.is, 2012. I have not been purchasing books from Kobo but instead have been downloading them from my public library. I had no problems until last Sunday. Suddenly, my books are disappearing from my Kobo ereader when I power off. As long as I leave it in 'sleep mode' the books are there when I resume reading. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Kobo help yesterday and several emails today. They have escalated it to Tier 2 they tell me. I have also read that Kobo Arc owners are experiencing the same problem.
That sounds like the database on your device is corrupted. Sideloading books puts them onto the device, then the device processes them and adds them to the database. If this gets corrupted, the details don't get saved properly, but the working copy in memory has the book. When the device is powered off, the database is reopened, but the new books will not be in the database.

The fix is to log out of your Kobo account on the device. The device will then restart and create an empty database. The sideload the books again and everything should be OK. If that doesn't work, you may need to do a factory reset and start from scratch.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #22
ElliEh
ElliEh began at the beginning.

Thanks, davidfor. I have tried everything EXCEPT the factory reset, which I was hoping to avoid. Will try that today.
ElliEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #23
clarkent

So, to update, as requested.

It's taken since Christmas but finally Kobo Cust. Service closed my case file, so to say.

A few days ago I received an email from the Tier Three rep, I don't know how many tiers there are but I don't wanna find out. It said that many customers that had used gift cards over the Christmas season had been seeing this problem and their work around solution to it was for me to open an account with a different email address and they would port all my books over to that one and that this had worked for them, in the past.

I did this and it took a day or so for them to move everything over. But, everything looks good now. I'm still missing some of the books that I had bought, but only a couple, although I now have full versions of quite a few of the 'previews' I had. So, I consider that an even trade.

In the end they gave me more books than I had lost but it took a month to get there, so it's a mixed bag when it comes down to reviewing the experience.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #24
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Dumb question: does the Chapters website have a record of the books? I bought a couple books through WH Smith with a gift card from eBay (stupid geographic restrictions) and they have a record and I can re-download them even without spoofing my location.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #25
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@clarkekent I decided some time ago that I would only ever download the epub version of Kobo books (into Sony Reader) and then import them into Calibre, and your story is exactly the reason why.

When I buy, or download a free ebook, I want to know that I'm going to be able to keep it for ever, or whatever length of time I determine, and so Calibre is the way I ensure that.

I couldn't even tell you whether the original copies of Kobo's Kepubs are still in my Kobo Desktop, because I don't need to open it. I started a dummy Kobo account and use that as the sync for my Glo.

I don't buy anything with the dummy account or use it for any other reason than to sync updated firmware.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote