Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
uwndrd
uwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-books

Device: K3, K4, PRS-650
There are certain companies that could give you a virtual US address, you'll use this address when buying Kindle, and the company will mail the device wherever in the world you want. It's rather expensive (about $35 total (delivery cost+company fee) to send Kindle 4 to Russia), but still is the cheapiest way to get an ereader in some countries.
uwndrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I have relatives in the US. and a US address listed on my Amazon account (not my main address), fact is they IP track your traffic AFTER the device is delivered.

Not all the time just when you try to go buy something from the amazon store for example... Don't believe me? go try and get the free poker game. It will geo track your location and deny delivery.

Now this isn't a "put on a tin hat" comment. Simply pointing out that using a US address is NOT a complete solution. Which is why I bothered replying I suppose.

It's not a total reach to imagine that those facts DON'T make it into the small print of the *buy as if you live in the US* services offerings. So now I mentioned it.

More Tea I think.

EDIT: Of course I suppose this example only affects people who were (foolishly) interested in playing games on their e-reader. What a surprise!

A little more sugar in this tea I think. it's tasting a bit bitter...

EDIT: Sorry Amazon. But some people REALLY LIKE to play games on their kindle.
It's crazy I know

Last edited by twobob; 09-09-2012 at 07:43 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like in the US Amazon store it's no longer possible to buy the Kindle Touch model...

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
fact is they IP track your traffic AFTER the device is delivered.
When I bought my KT I could actually have active content delivered to my device in Italy using an US friend address. After a few months, when I bought my brother a KT as a present, he could get just a few apps before his IP was geolocated.

What's really out of my comprehension is: why can't I *BUY* active contents in Italy? Amazon moves in mysterious ways.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
The Fire is of little to no interest, if I was going to get an android tablet I'd get an Asus Transformer, a 7" screen isn't big enough to watch HD on.

The Paperwhite however is of huge interest to me. I have a multitude of problems with my eyes and whilst I only have minor problems with my KT the whiter screen, higher resolution and the light are all things which are of immense interest.

So I've been waiting for the announcement with baited breath only to have Amazon screw me over by not releasing it in outside the US.

Thankfully there is someone who can order me one in the US and I have a friend who works at a global delivery company who can hopefully decrease the amount I'd normally have to pay to get it here in a decent amount of time.

I'm no dev, however once it's jailbroken, is it likely to be possible to add tor to the 3g/Wifi or even use a proxy server? Thus bypassing the geolocation.

Did a little searching, setting up a transparent proxy on a smoothwall box would allow us to hide our location whilst using WiFi. So that's a step in the right direction.

Last edited by Akirainblack; 09-10-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: updated information.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm. well
a) to get software you wouldn't need to amend the kindle in any way, it would be your internet connection. going to store - Buy:

BUT TO: deliver to device - I do not see how we could fool the delivery mechanism to go to another country. perhaps I am wrong but. (unless you mean perhaps using via wifi and some sort of internet based geo wangle. I don;t know if that would work TBH, might!)

In essence there are two levels of security - web side - this checks your account to see if you are US registered. All apps have this.

Device side - Some apps don't mind being delivered internationally. Some refuse completely. It's a crap shoot. If you bought it while abroad it would still be in your to be delivered things when you hit a network of the right nation. Also not a great deal of help.

b) all 3g data goes thru amazon so "No," a proxy won't help. Nor work I would imagine.
(unless you are talking some custom sim or other thoughts really exotic, then the world is your oyster as long as it's not Amazons dime.)

c) you can amend the proxy details on the wifi (as you say), but this just grabs stuff from your local router so again see a) (there may be some caveats to that, others may know)

In essence, if one is attempting to use data - that is paid for by them - I would suggest the answer is no, and honestly IMHO I think that's rightly so.(irrelevant)

As the discussion is about "Getting Software" not "Using data" - well, that's a bit more grey area IMHO. licensing for the kindle software really never got very far sadly which is a bit of a shame for all those users who thought it should. So on this subject - yes - amendments could be made and steps could be taken to - probably - obtain the software (for full price where relevant)

Hope that's nice and clear.
I wasn't exactly sure what you were driving at. Data or Apps. Either way - it's a crap shoot

Last edited by twobob; 09-10-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: clearer
Old 09-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #21
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

twobob I use torbot on my android mobile to gain access to the US android market as it hides my location from it.
https://www.torproject.org/

I've also used proxy servers in the US to change my location to there. So it is theoretically possible to "confuse" a program into believing it is transferring data to the US when the item is in the UK.

I can completely understand not agreeing with doctoring the 3G side of things and you make a highly valid point.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #22
twobob

Then I agree with you - in principle - wholeheartedly.

Obfuscating something on the wifi side as you say is a "done deal", Iplayer abroad possible? then this is possible.

If there were more apps I might get excited about it. but there aren't. So to this end personally more interested in getting some proper apps running on it

the kindlets are a bit goofy
Old 09-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
I can completely understand not agreeing with doctoring the 3G side of things and you make a highly valid point.
As if you could "doctor" 3G . . .

Remember, one name for that service is "cell ..." - - -
What is a "cell ..." in this context?

Mobile (radio-)telephones where originally high power, large area devices.
"Large" in the sense of a big metropolitan area.
A generalization for this post - call it a (minimum of a) twenty mile radius.

The "problem" (where "problem" is defined by the people trying to sell you telephone calls) is there where more potential users within that large area than the required bandwidth to support the number of simultaneous calls that population would make.

So a new "cell" based system was designed . . .
Each fixed transmitter location, and each mobile client location (your pocket) would be "short range" devices.
A generalization for this post - call it a (maximum of a) two mile radius.
I.E: 1/10 the distance == 1/100 the power (its a square-law relationship).

But what to do if the client was moving (the old radio-telephone service was for automobiles)?
How to service them if they wandered a few too many blocks away?

The answer: Multiple fixed location transmitter locations with overlapping service radii.
Then the telephone circuit switching equipment could switch your call to the closest (highest strength) fixed location -- **during** the progress of your call (rather than just when you placed the call).

Ah, but the system needs to know **where** the current **strongest** location is, so that it can be ready to expect where the next **strongest** location will be if you are moving.
Translation: The fixed locations are geo-located (in these days, by GPS) and that information is included as part of every burst transmission received that is passed into the system for routing from moment to moment.

The "older" (older than last week) e-ink Kindles only supported 2G/3G services and client GPS was not required by those services.
The modem/radio in those "older" Kindles do not have GPS.
Although many make/models of 2G and/or 3G modem/radios do have GPS installed.

In the 4G service, client GPS is required.

So regardless of how someone tried to "doctor" the transmission, the system knew within a two mile radius where you are. It **HAS TO** just to work and that information is added at the fixed location you are currently using - outside of the client's control.

2G/3G with optional client GPS or 4G service, your geo-location is known within a few feet (call it within a meter).

Sorry folks, you aren't going to hide your true location from "cell" 'phone service, just not going to happen.

- - - -

Before someone posts a contradiction - -
Yes, such things as a "3G proxy" do (or at least could) exist.
But why? It takes just as much investment in equipment to "blind proxy" a cell phone call as it does to go into the business of selling cell phone calls.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
All great information.

Additionally, a "cell" is at the intersection of three cell antenna towers, allowing resonably accurate location triangulation (even without GPS), and providing coverage even when in a "shadow" from a large building that blocks coverage from one or two of those cell towers:

And as shown in the above diagram, each tower covers three cells, as you can see in this image:

Of course, this is just a general rule. In reality, there are a lot of variations that are needed to cover unusual circumstances, such as for filling in coverage "holes" created by local obstructions and unusual geographic topography.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-10-2012 at 03:03 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #25
Akirainblack
abibliophobic

TBH where I live it wouldn't make a difference if I wanted to try using 3G or not.

Any time I've tried it thus far with my current Kindle it can't even load the amazon store which is rather annoying simply because I payed extra for the facility.

I can get 3G on my phone, no problems, but nothing on the Kindle.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #26
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
TBH where I live it wouldn't make a difference if I wanted to try using 3G or not.

Any time I've tried it thus far with my current Kindle it can't even load the amazon store which is rather annoying simply because I payed extra for the facility.

I can get 3G on my phone, no problems, but nothing on the Kindle.
What country?
If a country served by AT&T - is there AT&T service in your area? (Not all companies do cross-connects yet.)
Old 09-11-2012, 03:43 AM   #27
Akirainblack
abibliophobic

UK. No idea what the UK Kindle is meant to connect to 3G wise.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #28
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
UK. No idea what the UK Kindle is meant to connect to 3G wise.
Do you have AT&T service in your area?
What service does your devices that work use?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
twobob

I connect to what now?

Dark purple 3G
Light Purple crappier "most slow" edge connection.

IIRC it is an O2 provisioned service. So pretty much if an O2 moby works then your kindle will work.

Look here: http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=2&view=intl

you said UK. Obviously you would be better getting a look at the realtime as indicated by this link above.

These snaps best serve as an historical reference for *IF* cellmaps.com should prove unavailable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_066.png
Views:	187
Size:	665.6 KB
ID:	92187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_067.png
Views:	202
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	92188  

Last edited by twobob; 09-11-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Scotchland the brave
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

On the good side -
They are small islands, you could just shout real loud.