Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Wow, they responded very fast. We can't even get a public acknowledgment of the ghosting issue or the sync issue. Here I was turning my nose up at them for not allowing you to change margins or line spacing.
A Kobo representative is actually taking part in the Kobo MR forum. Pretty cool! B&N never seems to do that, nor does Sony. I'm not sure about Amazon, but I doubt they do either.

How dare Kobo! That shows a total lack of arrogance and a high degree of caring about their customers. All the other ereader companies will probably kick them out of their eReader society.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
A Kobo representative is actually taking part in the Kobo MR forum. Pretty cool! B&N never seems to do that, nor does Sony. I'm not sure about Amazon, but I doubt they do either.

How dare Kobo! That shows a total lack of arrogance and a high degree of caring about their customers. All the other ereader companies will probably kick them out of their eReader society.
Yeah, I'm getting ready to post an inquiry in their forum. If I can confirm the Kobo Touch syncs with their apps, I'm bailing on the NOOKtouch. The Kobo bookstore isn't my first or second choice, but being able to sync and having a meaningful homescreen is worth the change for me.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
The Kobo touch just came out with a firmware update that allows you to specify the number of pages before a refresh, so I would imagine the Nook developers would include that in their next update.
I read that too, but: what problem would this solve?

Never mind - I gather it's to manage the ghosting. But it seems like a bit of a hack. Fix the ghosting!

Last edited by tomsem; 06-18-2011 at 06:55 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I read that too, but: what problem would this solve?
I assume there's an option to refresh after one page. Similar to traditional eink refreshing.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #20
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yeah, I'm getting ready to post an inquiry in their forum. If I can confirm the Kobo Touch syncs with their apps, I'm bailing on the NOOKtouch. The Kobo bookstore isn't my first or second choice, but being able to sync and having a meaningful homescreen is worth the change for me.
The Kobo touch dictionary/highlighting options do not work on sideloaded books. I find this is a huge disadvantage. Unless you can do without those options.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...nary+highlight
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
The Kobo touch dictionary/highlighting options do not work on sideloaded books. I find this is a huge disadvantage. Unless you can do without those options.

Yes, I do remember seeing that and was surprised. It's been stated that we shouldn't buy devices based on possible updates to firmware. In my case I'm willing to anticipate such an update from Kobo, whereas I'm not hopeful that B&N will address the undisclosed ghosting and sync issues. I've read on the BN.com NOOKcolor forum that people have had this sync problem with the NOOKcolor as well. I wasn't using the NOOK Android app when I had the stock ROM in my NOOKcolor, so I can't confirm. It's unfortunate that I've become cynical with regard to B&N's updates. They often break things with their fixes (speaking of the NOOKcolor) and the updates include things people didn't request.

Last edited by SCION; 06-18-2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: changed B&N forum to BN.com forum
Old 06-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Y'know, I have to wonder: how is it that Kobo and Nook both arrived at the same 'page turn flash reduction' technique? and were announced within a day of each other? Were they sharing notes?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post

Also, apparently Kobo does not support hyperlinks (footnotes etc) at this time. That was a non-starter for me.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #24
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
The "ghosting" where you see previous page lines doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the fuzzy text you get from not refreshing on each page.

So I find myself double tapping the U button every page turn.

They'll either fix it or I'll get a Kindle Touch in the fall, it's that simple.
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #25
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
The Kobo seems to have copied BN's refresh every 6 pages, since at the product launch the videos showed screen refresh with every page. Then all the ghosting issues came out, so they had to scramble to find a solution. That update really improved the page turns and swiping somehow, too, which was unfortunate, because all the lukewarm reviews came out before the firmware update (I was even about to return mine the day the update came out). They also have mentioned fixing dictionary issues, adding more fonts, and adding line spacing/margin options, and they'll probably spiff up the browser eventually too. They also upgraded their desktop software, which used to be quite awful, but now it's pretty decent for shopping and managing content (I used it for the free $10 gift certificate when registering the Kobo). I'm impressed with the developers braving the nitpicking and 'when are you going to fix this?' demands on here, but they are at least responsive, and even supply a list of all the developers on the Kobo device menu.

I'd think it would be awkward for BN to fix the ghosting problem by offering a screen refresh option, since it was one of the distinguishing features it advertised over the Kindle. I like the Nook, and even convinced my sister to get 3 of them for her kids (and return the 3 Kindles she bought), but I prefer the Kobo for the lighter weight, smaller form factor, nice ergonomic feel, non-book-pimping top screen, and data-geek fun of reading statistics and silly reading awards.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
... They also have mentioned fixing dictionary issues, adding more fonts, and adding line spacing/margin options, ...
I wish Kobo would have announced their plans for doing this. I would have held off on purchasing a Nook Touch.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote