Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
kyhwana
kyhwana has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle3
root on entourage (pocket) edge

Hey all,
has anyone had any luck getting root on the latest froyo update?
kyhwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:51 AM   #2
kyhwana

OK, so z4root works with temp/perm root, yay!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Be sure to post this in the enTourage forums, too. If enTourage goes under we'll all be free to root with impunity

BTW, we'd like details as to where to get z4root and how to use it
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I've got my QT7 rooted with z4root. I like the option of being able to choose between temporary and permanent root, which I can't do w/the program I used to root my phone...no option for temporary. Be sure you don't uninstall z4root itself after you get superUser capability. I tried freezing it once to see if I could use programs requiring root (was trying to free up space as I've never been able to get a program working that will let me move apps to the SDCard) with just the superUser app. The answer was I couldn't, and had a hell of time getting it unfrozen...in fact I couldn't and had to reinstall it as a new program.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:23 AM   #5
kyhwana

I downloaded z4root from http://andappstore.com/AndroidApplications/
I tried temp root first and that worked, rebooted and then tried perm root and it worked, it enables superuser too.
It's basically 1-click.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Glad I saw this post here. Apparently not posted on entourageedge forums, or do such posts get deleted?
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Don't think it suffered deletion. I don't recognize kyhwana from the other forum, so it's possible just that no one has put this up there.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:07 AM   #8
kyhwana

Oh, no. I haven't posted it on the entourage forum yet.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
I followed the link and downloaded z4root. Thanks for the post.

Hey, what is that 3D barcode I see on so many sites now? Would the camera on the PE be able to get enough of it to read? Is there an app? etc.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
If I successfully root the Pocket Edge, would I be able to access the Google Marketplace, or must I also replace the Android firmware? I'm willing to try to root it, but I'm not sure I also want to use different firmware just to have access to more apps.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:45 AM   #11
kyhwana

I don't think there are any custom ROMs for the pocket edge.

I haven't had any luck getting google market to work on it, I don't think anyone else has, either.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #12
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
The best way to get at Android Marketplace is to install an emulator on your PC or Mac, then install Market. I spent two days removing excess hair getting it to work, and documented it over on the Entourage forum (Android Apps section). I'm confident you can use those instructions to get it going and get any free apps from Market.

I've been told that market doesn't run on Entourage tablets because Entourage wanted to have their own market and Google got pissy. Don't know if it's true, but it sounds true.

Another workaround is to have a friend with another tablet install a free app, then use either Astro File Explorer or Titanium Backup to back the installed app to a .apk file and send it to you.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
geneven1
Enthusiast
geneven1 began at the beginning.

Device: P. Edge, Kindle, N800-810-900
I'm rooted on my very new Pocketable Edge. But now, I would like to know what I can do further? Can I install other versions of Android? Where do I learn about that? Sorry, as I said, I'm quite new.

And can I play with programming languages on my Edge, now that I have a terminal? Such as Ruby, or even something like Squeek or a relative? It looks like Java is a common language used. Where's the best way to learn about doing this stuff on my Edge. I'm not worried about bricking my device -- que sera, sera, as Patti Page once sang.
geneven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #14
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I'll bet you've found it by now, but here is the link to the entourage edge forum: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php.

It is still open so you can at least read about other people's experiences. I'm not sure you can sign up to post, though.

Nice to have you aboard!! I liked your "beta" joke!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
geneven1
Enthusiast
geneven1 began at the beginning.

Device: P. Edge, Kindle, N800-810-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven1 View Post
I'm rooted on my very new Pocketable Edge. But now, I would like to know what I can do further? Can I install other versions of Android? Where do I learn about that? Sorry, as I said, I'm quite new.

And can I play with programming languages on my Edge, now that I have a terminal? Such as Ruby, or even something like Squeek or a relative? It looks like Java is a common language used. Where's the best way to learn about doing this stuff on my Edge. I'm not worried about bricking my device -- que sera, sera, as Patti Page once sang.
To answer my own question from above the only programming language I've found so far that I can really play with is Awk, which is by default present in a terminal if you open one.

By the way, I'm using speech to text to type this message and it's pretty thrilling. it's a Nuance program.
geneven1 is offline   Reply With Quote