Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
sceadugenga
Connoisseur
sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
iRiver problem

I mentioned I had a new iRiver Story elsewhere but may have been off topic.
I can't load anything onto it directly and my system (XP) won't format the card.
I'm currently7500kms away from where it was bought and will be for three months.
I suspect this is an IT dummy thing and I'm missing something basic. It won't be the first time.
Avoiding the "should have dones" any ideas how to fix it?

Last edited by sceadugenga; 08-13-2010 at 07:34 PM.
sceadugenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
When you connect your Story to the PC via the USB port, do you see anything on the Story's screen?
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
sceadugenga
Connoisseur
sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just the battery charger indicator.
(Now fully charged).
Old 08-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
sceadugenga
Connoisseur

OK, a problem solved, my card reader wasn't working, an external reader loaded a dozen books onto the card in no time.
Still doesn't explain why my laptop doesn't recognise the eBook reader.
Tomorrow we try with my neighbour's powered USB device.
At least I can load books now, then I'll put a larger card in and try loading from my comics collection.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
The reason I asked what appeared on the screen was that once connected, the Story's screen would prompt you to select what you'd like to do: charge the unit, or manage files. The selection has to be made within 2 - 3 seconds.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
sceadugenga
Connoisseur

OK, I managed to do that and got "new hardware" noises but search as I may I cannot find any reference to it on my computer.
I've emailed the European iriver office, their site doesn't mention the Story, and hopefully will hear back next week.
A lot of my problem is not being able to read the manual properly,the print is just too small and won't zoom.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
sceadudenga, check out what greenapple's asking. When you plug the USB cable into the Story, you should get a dsiplay on the Story's screen asking if you want to charge its battery or if you want to connect the device to your PC. If you don't get that display on the Story's screen and actually choose the option to connect before that display changes to the battery image, then you won't have a live connection to the device, and it isn't surprising your PC can't see the Story or the card that is in it.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Also note that the button lock has to be disabled, otherwise it goes to charging the battery without asking and displays a large battery symbol on the screen.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point, ischeriad.

In my experience, it's also best to have the Story switched on and booted up before plugging the USB cable in. I seem to get the "connect" option more reliably. (If the Story is switched off when I plug it in, it often just goes straight to the battery icon.)
Old 08-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
tatmattd
tatmattd began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Hi I have had the same problem which I posted under "Computer cant see story" thread. I've checked all the things you guys suggest including that I'm selecting the communicate with drive choice(orwhatever its called) all to no avail. I'm running Windows 7 on my laptop and have firmware 1.71 on my story, My computer can see the removable sdhc 32G sandisk and all subfolders on it but cannot see the story and its folder stucture itself. In windows explorer the 32G sdhc appears as 'removable disc' but the stoy itself doesn't appear. Within the story I can navigate the folder structure throgh 'My Folder' but I see nothing in it. So in essence I can put anything on the removable disc no worries but can't put anything on the story itself. What can I do? Can anyone help? Cheers Matt
tatmattd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #11
sceadugenga
Connoisseur

I'm in contact with iriver's support group and we ran through most of the suggestions mentioned here.
They suggest that a powered USB hub may be necessary so I'll beg, steal, buy or borrow one and get back to you.
This is guy I'm talking to, surprisingly enough he's in Melbourne.

wlim@crkennedy.com.au

MacE, I did a greenapple suggested and got "new hardware" noises but no new USB drive shows up on My computer.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
MacEachaidh
Browser

Hmm. On my PC (Windows XP), when I plug the Story in a window comes up immediately for the SD card, and then that Windows selector dialogue asking what I want to do with the files on the new device comes up. (You know, do I want to play the music files, open an Explorer window to browse the device, yadda yadda.) It's only when I click on the option to open an Explorer window that a new window comes up with a drive letter allocation, showing me the files on the Story itself.

So, am I correct in assuming this latter step - letting you browse the device - isn't coming up?

If that's the case, then it sounds to me like a setting in your OS, in the way it responds to newly-found hardware. Obviously, the computer has to be seeing the Story, or it wouldn't be seeing the SD card. So it seems to me it's a matter of making the computer assign it a drive letter and open an Explorer/Finder window to let you see/change the files.

And that's where I falter. I don't know Mac well enough to know where the setting might be, and I've never even seen Windows 7.

In Windows XP, when you add a removable storage device, you can right-click on it in "My Computer" and adjust the way the PC responds when it's plugged in. Does the Story appear at all in your equivalent of "My Computer", or is it only the SD card?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 AM   #13
tatmattd
tatmattd began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Woo Hoo, I just tried a USB Port between my story and my computer and low and behold there is my story, go figure! Can't explain it, but it works!! Thanks sceadugenga
tatmattd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:02 AM   #14
sceadugenga
Connoisseur

Sorry for the misunderstanding MacE but to read the card I have to remove it from the Story and put it in another card reader. The Story shows up nowhere in the computer.

Looks like tatmattd has solved our problem with a USB device.
My neighbour, who is Dutch and knows everything, says that sometimes a laptop/notebook doesn't provide enough power to it's USB ports to run some devices.

Last edited by sceadugenga; 08-16-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #15
MacEachaidh
Browser

Sorry I misunderstood, sceadudenga. And yeah, I'd agree with the Dutchman. I've got a powered hub I bought from Dick Smith for about $20. It's so easy to take these things for granted, and forget you've got them.

Glad there's light on the horizon, anyhow. Looking forward to hearing good news.

tatmattd, great work! ;-)