Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
teammate
teammate began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Smile hello from.... the Philippines!

Hello everyone. I'm teammate from the Philippines and I have been wanting to get an e-reader for months now. I've read 3 or 4 books on my iPhone, but found it to be tiring and it just feels a tad bit too constricting. I don't really have issues with eyestrain, and actually appreciate the backlight that the iPhone offers. It's just that the screen is too darn small and it messes up formatting and images don't turn out too right.

I've tried reading academic PDFs on my iPhone and that was when I realized I wanted something bigger. I have my eye on the Kindle 2 right now, as its webby features are supported in my country. Eventually, I'd like to get a Que; I think it just looks darn cool and I'd really appreciate the big screen.

So anyway, maybe you guys could give me more ideas or feedback: I'm going to be using the e-reader for reading novels, non-fiction stuff like Malcolm Gladwell books, academic research PDFs, and maybe magazines even.

Will I be happy with the Kindle 2 as my first e-reader? Thanks!
teammate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:53 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi and welcome to mobileread - I don't know about the Kindle 2 (but if you visit the forum on here for Kindle you'll get plenty of advice) but sounds like a dedicated reader would be a major step up from an iPhone for reading
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Welcome to mobileread, teammate!
Try posting your question in the "which one should I buy" section of the forum, for more answers.
I'm quite happy with my 6inch screen, but I mostly read fiction, and sometimes manga. For academic papers and magazines something bigger would probably be best.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Hello and welcome to MR. I can't comment on the Kindle, as I have never owned one. I am quite happy with the way my Sony prs-505 handles the reflow on PDFs (I often read academic articles on it, as well as text-based academic books in pdf format; I would love to additionally own a larger screened reader, however, for home use) and if I were to buy another Sony reader I would get the prs-900, which, I have read, handles PDFs very well, and has some sort of margin crop and zoom function; apparently, if you read PDFs in landscape mode you don't have to zoom at all as it divides the page into thirds. I'm holding out for a larger screen for now, maybe a 9.7 inch screen, as it seems that several are scheduled to be released this year; however, I imagine that most of them will be quite pricey. I don't envy you, there are so many readers on the market now that it is hard to choose which one will suit you the best. I have pasted a link to the MR wiki page that showcases a graph of most (if not all) of the ebook readers on the market. I hope it helps.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!

As others have said, you might want to look at one of the larger e-ink devices that are around now for the academic PDFS, but for everything else you should find a Kindle 2 or other 6" eink device a nice change from reading on the iPhone
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
hi teammate,
welcome to Mobile Read

I lived four years in Manila (2 years in Dasmarinas Village and 2 Years in Essensa/Fort Bonifaciao) prior to moving to New York.

I would recommend the Sony PSP 505 or a bigger one to you, but not the kindle.
Its more open for free books and use it together with calibre.
When I lived in the Philippines, I bought a lot of cd's and some dvd's with e-books and audio bookks in greenhills shopping center for just a buck or two.
i got also one dvd full with e-books, lot of them nyt-bestsellers, in that bookstore which is right opposite of landmarks (end of the passenger bridge) in Greenbelt 4 (makati).

keep reading

harry

Last edited by Harry001; 01-15-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: added infos
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Welcome to MobileRead!
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, teammate.

Enjoy the journey.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
PocketGoods
Banned
PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: PB360
Hi, Teammate ! Welcome on board! I am realy pleased to see somebody of Philippines here. I love Philippines!
PocketGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
PocketGoods
Banned
PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: PB360
A PocketBook device is what you need! Check information on my website. If you want to order it - the cheapest way, I think, is to order it from USA. There are my colleague too..
PocketGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
i would buy any sony in parksqare 1 (makati) or in Cybershop, SM-megamall in Mandaluyong City, if you live in or near manila.

harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Welcome to the site.

Iphones are nice, but a reader is the way to go for paperless book reading.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Welcome, from a Canadian fellow who has a Filipina fiancée
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi jazzesax and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
teammate
teammate began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Wow guys, that was a very warm welcome! My kindle 2's been shipped already. Too late to change that now! Anyway, I believe a mainstream reader would be a good start for me. I'm a fresh graduate (unemployed ) and the academic-papers-readable preference was more of a... how do I say this, a looking forward into the future thing. I always wanted a bigger one; but they cost a lot and it's hard to come up with money without a job. Eventually when I move to the US to take up masters (probably in two years), the bigger, better e-book readers would be more affordable. I absolutely fell in love with the Que (well basing it on looks and coolness factors).

I actually have a bad case of technolust/lootlust. I'm also a member of Head-fi.org, a forum for high (or low, whatever) quality headphones that also involves a lot of spending. E-ink readers in the Philippines are still largely uncommon, and my friend's kindle 2 is still a headturner (contrary to design reviews I've read), and would easily label me as intellectually/academically/whatever badass. Haha.

@Harry001: Yes sir, I'm from Metro Manila but I generally try not to buy expensive stuff locally if I can source them from the US. I've been comparing a lot of prices and they're usually almost double locally, be it bags, watches, computers, or for this case, an e-book reader. And yes, the Philippines is a great place to violate IPR laws, but I promise to do good with it, as illegally-free media should help me eventually be a hot-shot economist. [I promise to try and find a way to end world hunger, poverty, etc.] :P

@Squirsier: That's great to hear, congratulations! Raise your future kids in the Philippines, they'll grow up to be nice (but I'm sure, badass) children. Schooling should be cheaper here too. :P
teammate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 2, newbie, philippines