Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-09-2017, 05:40 AM   #46
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
If your device spontaneously reboots for no apparent reason when opening a large or complicited KePub book, it might be that the operation is taking a bit longer than normal and the sickel watchdog thinks it is stuck.

This patch will increase the time limit before sickel acts from 10 seconds to 20 or 30 seconds, giving a bit more time for slow tasks to complete. It should work with all firmware versions from 4.3.8842 to 4.5.9587.
Thanks for the patch, Geoff. I did experience this phenomena a couple of times on the latest FW. I was blaming the huge size of my books.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
If your device spontaneously reboots for no apparent reason when opening a large or complicited KePub book, it might be that the operation is taking a bit longer than normal and the sickel watchdog thinks it is stuck.

This patch will increase the time limit before sickel acts from 10 seconds to 20 or 30 seconds, giving a bit more time for slow tasks to complete. It should work with all firmware versions from 4.3.8842 to 4.5.9587.
Are you sure you have the times right? My understanding was that sickel was triggered after a minute. It was a lot shorter when it was first introduced, but, when Kobo turned it back on, they said they extended it to 60 seconds. And that the reboots I have seen with big kepubs did seem to be after more than a minute.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #48
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you sure you have the times right? My understanding was that sickel was triggered after a minute. It was a lot shorter when it was first introduced, but, when Kobo turned it back on, they said they extended it to 60 seconds. And that the reboots I have seen with big kepubs did seem to be after more than a minute.
sickel still starts a 10 second (10000 msec) timer, and the patch just changes the 10000 value to 20000 or 30000. But I'm not sure whether the reboot after opening large KePubs is caused by sickel or something else.

In any case the patch won't do any harm. If the reboots are not caused by sickel then it just won't have any effect.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:06 AM   #49
thangbinh
thangbinh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
hi everyone,
I have just begin modify my kobo gloHD, I have question, How can I change default fonts system in my kobo by this patching ?
Thank in advance
thangbinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #50
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thangbinh View Post
I have just begin modify my kobo gloHD, I have question, How can I change default fonts system in my kobo by this patching ?
I don't know any way to change the default fonts used for the user interface, not with these patches anyway.

You can sideload your own fonts, and if there is a glyph missing from the system fonts then it might be substituted from your sideloaded font. This works for things like book titles and author names, and for the patched keyboards, but it doesn't seem to work everywhere in the UI. There can be some problems with sideloaded fonts that don't have italic versions of the missing glyphs, and some fonts have other problems that prevent them working properly in this way.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:47 AM   #51
thangbinh
thangbinh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I don't know any way to change the default fonts used for the user interface, not with these patches anyway.

You can sideload your own fonts, and if there is a glyph missing from the system fonts then it might be substituted from your sideloaded font. This works for things like book titles and author names, and for the patched keyboards, but it doesn't seem to work everywhere in the UI. There can be some problems with sideloaded fonts that don't have italic versions of the missing glyphs, and some fonts have other problems that prevent them working properly in this way.
thank bro
thangbinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:12 AM   #52
JLuecking
JLuecking began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi,

I have not updated my Kobo H2O for more than a year and now I went to the latest firmware. When I scroll down in my list of books, the display does not refresh and displays the various pages all at once. When I go the home screen, it looks like there are some watermarks. This is with the original firmware without patches. Reading itself is fine.

Does somebody have an idea?

Thank you in advance
Joachim

Last edited by JLuecking; 08-16-2017 at 07:00 AM.
JLuecking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #53
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuecking View Post
I have not updated my Kobo H2O for more than a year and now I went to the latest firmware. When I scroll down in my list of books, the display does not refresh and displays the various pages all at once. When I go the home screen, it looks like there are some watermarks. This is with the original firmware without patches. Reading itself is fine.
I see the same thing on my Glo: in the book everything is great, but outside the book the UI ghosts up farily quickly. I think it has always been like that to some extent, but perhaps a bit worse in the 4.x.x firmware, especially on the new home screen.

There is no patch to affect it. All I can suggest is to flick to sleep mode and back to force a refresh if it gets too bad.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #54
JLuecking

Thanks alot for the workaround, that part is really buggy.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #55
JLuecking

I have done a factory reset, this helped. It is ok now.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #56
fontinalis
fontinalis began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara
First, thanks for this patch. I love it and being able to get rid of the bottom footer and make my margins smaller. Much better now.
Second, got a question about the "search current read" function. I can search for a word in my epub but when I click on the result it takes me to the current page I'm on. Not the search result. Has anybody experienced this and does anybody know how to fix it?

Never mind. Got it sorted. Broke ePub when editing headers in Calibre. Search works fine. ����

Last edited by fontinalis; 09-03-2017 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Broke epub
fontinalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #57
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
What tool do you use to decompile the firmware and get the addresses for strings, for example to get: ValueDisplaySlider::setStep

Also, how do you get the addresses for the libadobe.so patches?

I already know about strings -tx -el

I am planning to work on some of my own patches.

Last edited by geek1011; 10-04-2017 at 05:01 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #58
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
What tool do you use to decompile the firmware and get the addresses for strings, for example to get: ValueDisplaySlider::setStep

Also, how do you get the addresses for the libadobe.so patches?

I already know about strings -tx -el

I am planning to work on some of my own patches.
See if this helps https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...95&postcount=8
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote