Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
cstromme
cstromme began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Trying to find a couple of books… Suggestions?

I went through the links in the sticky thread, but couldn't find it in any of those sites (except for one that was in Microsoft Reader format).

I'm trying to find A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers and The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Am I completely out of luck here if none of those sites have it? I just recently got my new Sony Reader, and I was under the impression that I could get a hold of most new releases online.

Oh, and I'm in Norway if that matters in any way.
cstromme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstromme View Post
I went through the links in the sticky thread, but couldn't find it in any of those sites (except for one that was in Microsoft Reader format).

I'm trying to find A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers and The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Am I completely out of luck here if none of those sites have it? I just recently got my new Sony Reader, and I was under the impression that I could get a hold of most new releases online.

Oh, and I'm in Norway if that matters in any way.
'The Road' is available in the Sony store (which you'd need to get a voucher/gift card from someone to buy since the Sony store needs a US (Canadian?) credit card for purchases, you can find out more in other threads). Sony is the only source for most/all books from major publishers in the Sony format. Fictionwise (& I'm sure other sellers) have it in MS Reader (LIT) format which you could remove the DRM from and use Calibre (lit2lrf) to convert to Sony format (LRF).

'A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius' is another story. Being a bit older, I remember reading it 6 or 7 years ago) it's not officially available as an ebook. You'd have to contact Random House (the US publisher) to try & find out their plans or request they make it available. A lot of publishers are still figuring out their strategy for bringing out older titles so it could be coming soon (sometimes they bring an authors older titles out when a new books from the author is released) or it might not even be on their radar.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-04-2008 at 09:42 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
cstromme
cstromme began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Can I get a friend of mine in the US to buy the book in the store and just mail it to me? Or is there some kind of DRM that wouldn't work then?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found the gift option.

Last edited by cstromme; 06-04-2008 at 06:56 PM.
cstromme is offline   Reply With Quote