Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #31
Sonny Blount
Enthusiast
Sonny Blount doesn't litterSonny Blount doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo. iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Bolding by me. Think about it. I hate Harry Potter, but I respect any author's right to negotiate whatever contracts and distribution rights that work best for their own personal needs wants. I don't even care that you've downloaded illegal copies of her work. It's the implication that you should have any say whatsoever in how an author handles their own business that disgusts me. Mind your own.

And every body else has the right to put forward their opinion on other peoples foolishness.

We all have opinions and enjoy sharing them.
Sonny Blount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #32
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Bolding by me. Think about it. I hate Harry Potter, but I respect any author's right to negotiate whatever contracts and distribution rights that work best for their own personal needs/wants/whims... nonsensical or otherwise. I don't even care that you've downloaded illegal copies of her work. It's the implication that you should have any say whatsoever in how an author handles their own business that disgusts me. Mind your own.
While i do find it regrettable that my opinion 'disgusts' you, I still stand by it.

And I find your hostility entirely unjustified.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #33
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Frankly, because I think it is utterly nonsense for an author to not allow ebook versions of their work to be distributed.

Don't get me wrong, I am not for piracy. I have published a book myself - well, an academic textbook - and I contribute regularly to the WSJ and FT and occasionally to other finance-related outlets. I also used to play music much more seriously than I do nowadays. My first job was in a technology-patenting office. I know you probably do not care about my background - but what I mean is: I do understand the need for strong copyright legislation and enforcement.

But authors who refuse to allow for the LEGAL distribution of their work are part of the problem, not of the solution.

By the way, despite my being upset and despite my lighthearted approach to the issue (my joking about 'backing up my collecting'), after downloading the books from that site on my reader, I actually bought the paper copies. They sit on my bookshelf, unopened. I did it because I personally feel copyright violation is wrong and because, fortunately, I am in an economic position to not care.

I do not regret posting that link. People who own the paper version have the right to enjoy those books on an ereader. And authors like her should be forced by the market to allow electronic distribution.

Anyhow... you asked.

I do understand why a moderator would block the link - that's his job, after all. But why does he, or you, take it personally, is beyond me. I think we need to send a clear message to authors - do NOT stand against progress and consider yourself blessed that we want to read - and, of course, pay for - your work. We, in turn, shall be grateful that you keep writing.
Some people take it personally, because doing stuff like that is an easy way for the site to get shut down. There are people from the publishing industry that come here, and since the host is of the above the board variety, all it would take is for someone to contact the host for them to pull the plug on the site.

As far as the ideological stance, well, the thing about a free market and democracy, is that not everyone has to believe what you do. If someone wants to restrict how they sell something they own, then it is their prerogative. It isn't illegal to not sell in certain formats, but it is illegal to offer up copies of stuff you don't own the rights to.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #34
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Frankly, because I think it is utterly nonsense for an author to not allow ebook versions of their work to be distributed.
So, a writer should not be allowed to distribute their work as they see fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf
People who own the paper version have the right to enjoy those books on an ereader. And authors like her should be forced by the market to allow electronic distribution.
Just because I own a paper copy does not give me the right to have it on an ereader unless the author allows for such distribution. Authors will release ebooks when they feel it is in their best interests to do so. Every couple of months I click on the link "Tell the publisher you would like to read this on your Kindle" link for the Harry Potter books. In addition, I have emailed the publisher telling them I would not buy physical books but will buy the ebook version.

Quote:
Bolding by me. Think about it. I hate Harry Potter, but I respect any author's right to negotiate whatever contracts and distribution rights that work best for their own personal needs/wants/whims... nonsensical or otherwise. I don't even care that you've downloaded illegal copies of her work. It's the implication that you should have any say whatsoever in how an author handles their own business that disgusts me. Mind your own.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
As far as the ideological stance, well, the thing about a free market and democracy, is that not everyone has to believe what you do. If someone wants to restrict how they sell something they own, then it is their prerogative. It isn't illegal to not sell in certain formats, but it is illegal to offer up copies of stuff you don't own the rights to.
Agreed.

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 06-20-2011 at 01:50 AM.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #35
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Even though I already have all 7 Potter books, both in paper and in bits, I'd buy them again in electronic form. If only to make a statement that I am willing to part with my money and only the absence has stopped me so far.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:16 AM   #36
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Just because I own a paper copy does not give me the right to have it on an ereader unless the author allows for such distribution.
But stating that :
a ) I want the book in e-book format
b ) I'm mot provided with a legal way to get the books

Is reason enough to pirate. I don't see see "too pricy" as a reason to pirate. If I really want the book, i'll pay the price.
But "not availible", well.... I'll still gadly pay if and when to books gets out.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:08 AM   #37
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Unmitigated ..........

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I am not for piracy. ... but what I mean is: I do understand the need for strong copyright legislation and enforcement.

But authors who refuse to allow for the LEGAL distribution of their work are part of the problem, not of the solution............ And authors like her should be forced by the market to allow electronic distribution.
Above post edited 'cos I can only take so much, well, in my opinion, nonsense, at any one time.]

What you've said is the same as "I have a paperback copy, but want it in hardback form, so I'll go in the shop and steal one." Similarly, you are saying it's OK to go on line and steal an electronic form - presumably whether you have paid for another form or not.
The word you might have used is "illegally" - 'cos it is against the law at the present.

You then say you're against piracy - but not enough to not actually do it, plainly.
Although, of course, you do "understand the need for strong copyright legislation and enforcement."
No, you plainly don't - did you read your post before you submitted it ?

You then accuse authors who do not wish to see their property in electronic form, as being to blame for the "problem" of people, like yourself, for stealing it - as you obviously do and will.

And the final demand is, frankly, extraordinarily daft.
Authors "like her" - successful? concerned about society? wealthy from her own efforts? a good writer? admired? not you? - should be "forced" - by law presumably - to provide the result of their work in a form they do not wish to, for whatever reason.

If want to steal in this way, I for one would rather you didn't attempt to find moral justification for doing so.

I confess this may read like a personal attack on you, vxf, which I regret, but I am afraid I see no reason to alter my comments.
They are concerning what you say.
I accept your right to spout it, no matter how silly I think it is.

This pulpit is now
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #38
Lizzie in Ma
Connoisseur
Lizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to all

Device: Nook, Kindle 3, Vizio 8" tablet runn and Samsung Galaxy running Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Even though I already have all 7 Potter books, both in paper and in bits, I'd buy them again in electronic form. If only to make a statement that I am willing to part with my money and only the absence has stopped me so far.
Me too and I have just finished re-reading my hard copies of them for the 5th time or so. I have also bought both our daughters copies of the entire set and their versions are as dog earred as my own, especially the 10 year old.
These, as a previous posted indicated, are not kids books, but they are, timeless and perfect for any thinking individual.
I am very much hoping J.K. Rowling will allow them on ebook format and I will buy them the second they are available and remove my temporary, substitutionary copies on my Kindle.

If it is a game I may never see our 10 year old again, she lives for Hogwarts.
Lizzie in Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #39
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Hmmm...

"substitutionary " ?

Sounds like Bush-talk

Last edited by carpetmojo; 06-20-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: rubbish.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #40
newlaza
Enthusiast
newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.

Device: Secret
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
"substitutionary " ?

Sounds like Bush-talk
It's a perfectly cromulent word.
newlaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #41
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Similarly, you are saying it's OK to go on line and steal an electronic form - presumably whether you have paid for another form or not.
I'm saying it's OK to do so if there is no legal means to get the e-copy.

If you don't provide a decent legal alternative, don't complain about piracy. Period.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #42
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
If I understand Rowling's objection to ebooks it is because they might facilitate piracy. That seems a bit ironical to me in view of the arguments in this thread.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #43
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
If I understand Rowling's objection to ebooks it is because they might facilitate piracy. That seems a bit ironical to me in view of the arguments in this thread.
The books are already as piratable as can be.
Won't change anything, but allowing people willing to pay for the books IMHO.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #44
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
It might be a bit of fun emailing Rowling about some pay pal account where we could make some deposit on account of the Potter books we've already downloaded.

well, not me. I've never read any of these books. I'm not one of the Potter generation, though I've watched some of the movies on TV occasionally...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #45
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Don't write bestseller books would be my advice to Rowling. If you write a best-seller, and especially if you decide not to go with the flow, your books will be pirated. Simply because there is a demand for them.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote