Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2017, 05:32 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Picture books - stories and pictures entwined

I was going through some of my books looking for ideas for the January "Rainbow of Reading" nominations for the New Leaf book club., and I came across a real favourite of mine that I cannot really nominate, because to get the most out of it will require a colour tablet. But, I thought to myself, that doesn't mean I can't at least start a thread about picture books - books that use both images and words to tell a story. I consider these to be distinct from graphic novels or comics etc. ... perhaps as literary books are distinct from other genres. The easiest way to describe what I mean is to show you with one of my all-time favourites...

Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan. A collection of 15 short tales, each a strange mix of tall-tale, urban myth and imagination run-riot and each accompanied by several drawings ... or perhaps the drawings are accompanied by tales. In many of the stories the two are really inseparable.

The look-inside feature at Amazon will show you some of what I mean.

I have the hardcover of this book, but that look-inside preview linked above seems to demonstrate that it should work okay on a colour tablet.

Has anyone else here read this? Can anyone offer recommendations for similar work?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote