Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #781
JoeS
Enthusiast
JoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
Just did the pen calibration and did some writing. Having used Wacom, NTrig, and Apple Pencil before, my DPT-RP1 pen seems to have a pretty high IAF (initial activation force). Do others feel like they need to press pretty hard? I'm almost afraid I'll scratch the screen.

In positive news, I love how light this thing is, just awesome!
JoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #782
digiflash
Connoisseur
digiflash began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-RP1, DPT-S1, Pocketbook 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
o others feel like they need to press pretty hard? I'm almost afraid I'll scratch the screen.
No. Just slight pressure. Fluent writing without any exhausting movements
digiflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #783
JoeS
Enthusiast
JoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiflash View Post
No. Just slight pressure. Fluent writing without any exhausting movements
Thanks for the response. I changed the tip to one of the plastic black ones, and it seems better. I still find that the full weight of the pen when holding it vertical itself is not enough to draw a line, I get sort of a dashed line that way. But with the new tip at least I can write comfortably as if I'm writing on paper.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #784
JoeS
Enthusiast

Apologies for the post overdose here, but I just got the device so it's all new.

Just had my first hiccup: I installed the digital paper app on a second machine (Win10 Pro x64), but when I plug in the DPT and the 'pairing' dialog appears, nothing else happens. I'm not asked to install a certificate, and the pairing dialog simply disappears with no error message. I've seen other mention that closing all apps in their system tray helped, but so far no luck here. Does anyone have any tips?
Old 08-25-2017, 01:10 PM   #785
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Quote:
Apologies for the post overdose here, but I just got the device so it's all new.

Just had my first hiccup: I installed the digital paper app on a second machine (Win10 Pro x64), but when I plug in the DPT and the 'pairing' dialog appears, nothing else happens. I'm not asked to install a certificate, and the pairing dialog simply disappears with no error message. I've seen other mention that closing all apps in their system tray helped, but so far no luck here. Does anyone have any tips?
Did you close the firewall & anti-virus software?
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #786
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

I can pair the device with Digital Paper App. But the device can't connect Digital Paper App via wifi on both my and my friend' win10 64-bit laptops. Strangely, I found that I could use connect digital paper app via wifi on my girlfriend's Macbook. I'm not sure is Digital Paper App buggy on windows or is the problem with the device.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #787
JoeS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_F View Post
Did you close the firewall & anti-virus software?
I paused Windows Defender, but I didn't disable the firewall. It did pair fine on my Surface Pro 4, which as far as I know has the same firewall settings. I might give it a shot.

As an aside, I am not using the included USB cable, but I tried two different ones with the same result, so I doubt it's the cable.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:35 AM   #788
JS_F
Connoisseur

Quote:
I paused Windows Defender, but I didn't disable the firewall. It did pair fine on my Surface Pro 4, which as far as I know has the same firewall settings. I might give it a shot.

As an aside, I am not using the included USB cable, but I tried two different ones with the same result, so I doubt it's the cable.
Can you connect your digital paper and digital paper app via wifi on your surface pro4?
Old 08-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #789
JoeS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Can you connect your digital paper and digital paper app via wifi on your surface pro4?
It took me a while, but I was able to. In the process the DPT helped me spot a security problem with my network!

Turns out for years I had my home wifi set up with the less secure (wildly vulnerable?) WPA-AES, which the DP App refuses to even display. That's not helpful by the way, the app should at least show the networks in a list "unsupported networks" along with tips on how to secure those.

Once I changed my home network to the more secure WPA2-AES protocol, the networked showed up and I could connect the DPT.

So thanks for the suggestion, now how would I use this new connectivity option to pair the DPT to my second Win10 computer? I'd be OK with just a bluetooth or wifi connection to the second system, just for being able to use 'print to DPT'.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:25 PM   #790
JoeS
Enthusiast

Still not able to connect my DPT to my second PC, but other than that I've been enjoying the device.

One thing that wasn't clear to me originally is how annotations and highlights would look when synced back to the PC. Turns out the default blue annotation is dark blue (navy), and the highlighter appears cyan on my PC. I'd like to change these to brighter blue and yellow. Is it possible to customize the colors, and if not, is there a hack on the horizon that could allow this?
Old 08-28-2017, 03:46 AM   #791
JS_F
Connoisseur

Quote:
Still not able to connect my DPT to my second PC, but other than that I've been enjoying the device.

One thing that wasn't clear to me originally is how annotations and highlights would look when synced back to the PC. Turns out the default blue annotation is dark blue (navy), and the highlighter appears cyan on my PC. I'd like to change these to brighter blue and yellow. Is it possible to customize the colors, and if not, is there a hack on the horizon that could allow this?
You can set the colour of annotation to red but not the colour of highlight.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:08 AM   #792
JoeS
Enthusiast

Quote:
You can set the colour of annotation to red but not the colour of highlight.
Thanks, I saw that in the instructions. I was just wondering if there was any option or hack that could modify the two pen colors and the one highlighter color. Should be just about the easiest thing in the world for the Sony programmers.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #793
dr_eos
dr_eos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Will the cover be available anytime soon?
dr_eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:47 AM   #794
joshy
joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!joshy has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Sharp WG-N/S20

Last edited by joshy; 09-04-2017 at 08:12 AM.
joshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #795
SnowMuffler
Enthusiast
SnowMuffler began at the beginning.

Device: None
So... has the novelty worn off on this device or what? Thread has died and little sub forum activity otherwise.

Despite having written the device off early on, I got mine from B&H and have had it for about 2 weeks. Still waiting on my case and no one there seems to have any idea when it will be available.

Has come in handy during meetings for notes and I have been using it for technical white papers in the office. I do wish I had a quicker, easier way to sync my notes as I’ve always used One Note in the past. While I do enjoy the writing experience better than my iPad, the latency is night and day between the two. That’s one of my biggest gripes. So far I haven’t really had a scenario where using the app to sync documents has been as cumbersome as I thought it would be.

How does Sony generally handle updates on these devices? Pushed through the app?
SnowMuffler is offline   Reply With Quote