Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Can you read a whole book on LCD?
Yes, I can read a whole book on LCD without significant discomfort. 78 56.12%
No, I can't read a whole book on LCD without significant discomfort. 61 43.88%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #106
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Suffice to say that the strength of your argument comes over as a virtual accusation that close to 50% of people can't adjust their brightness (which is a curious accusation considering most phones and tablets do it automatically these days), rather than offering that there might be a range of reasons.
Sadly my phone's auto-adjust in a dim room leaves the screen much brighter than I like. In bright daylight, the screen brightens enought to be readable but the glossy screen reflects everything which is annoying.

OTOH, as an IT person, I have long since stopped being surprised by the number of people who do not realize that their monitor, laptop screen, tablet, whatever does have brightness/colour controls. The most common excuse is the manufacturer's factory adjustment is good enough.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #107
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
All bets are off when it comes to the general public, but I think most Mobileread members are tech savvy enough to know they can make brightness adjustments (and possibly other adjustments, depending on the app). That's why it feels condescending when someone in one of these LCD vs Eink threads starts talking about failure to adjust brightness.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #108
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I find it perfectly believable that a very large portion of approximately 50% of poll responders have failed to adjust the brightness to a level to read comfortably. Some being due to device inadequacies and some being due to their own. ...
I tend to think that people responding to this poll would be tired of the LCD vs eink debate on MR, and have read many times about brightness settings. I find it very believable that if they had previously had their brightness wrong, they may very well have already re-evaluate LCD reading using comfortable brightness settings.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #109
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I tend to think that people responding to this poll would be tired of the LCD vs eink debate on MR,
Doesn't that seem a little counterintuitive to you? Why would people tired of the LCD vs eink debate on MR bother responding to poll that's clearly about the LCD vs eink debate on MR?

Also, why are you assuming that the 79 respondents (at the time of this post) are all long-time MR regulars who have had plenty of time (and the inclination) to experiment with their preferences?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-10-2021 at 02:44 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:42 PM   #110
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Doesn't that seem a little counterintuitive to you? Why would people tired of the LCD vs eink debate on MR bother responding to poll that's clearly about the LCD vs eink debate on MR?
Masochism? OCPD about someone being wrong on the Internet? This graphic exists here for a reason:
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #111
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. It use it quite regularly when challenging those who continue to beat the dead horse of eink's supposed inherent superiority.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #112
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not at all. 110 replies in this thread. You are number one with 19. I am tied at number 2 with 8 replies. It rather quickly goes down to 2 and 1. Seems like most of the posters are down to one or two posts. To me, it seems that the number of people actually debating is rather low, with one person in particular doing most of the debating.

Quote:
Also, why are you assuming that the 79 respondents (at the time of this post) are all long-time MR regulars who have had plenty of time (and the inclination) to experiment with their preferences?
Just because. It seems a little strange to me that given how long the poll has been up, that a lot of short term members would reply. As far as experimenting, I would say why not? Seems to me as a lot of members have gone through multiple devices and would have had the opportunity to re-evaluate. It seems to me for a site that is dedicated to ereading, that members would be interested in what works best for themselves and evaluate accordingly.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:20 PM   #113
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
I read on my phone for years before getting an ereader less than a year ago. Now, I rarely read on my phone. That said, when I do, I still enjoy it. Kind of like coming home again. The advantages to the phone for me are the vastly smoother and faster performance, a wider variety of (Android) apps, quicker and easier internet searches and translations, and the occasional benefits of color. I'm nearsighted and astigmatic, FWIW, and I'm sensitive to bright light. Because of the latter, I keep the brightness relatively low on the phone, anyway, and don't hesitate to adjust brightness when I feel the need. Which I do with the ereader, too. It doesn't bother me at all to read a whole book on the phone.

I got the ereader because I wanted front lighting instead of back lighting and for the dimensions of the device. I was used to reading on a long, narrow phone, but the more printed page-like form factor of the ereader is preferable to me.

Maybe I'll go back to the phone for a book soon to see what it's like to me after all this time. I do use it when I'm out and about without the ereader sometimes, but it's for shorter periods.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:35 PM   #114
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just because.
Fair enough. Just remember to allow others to use the same rationale in their arguments.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #115
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Fair enough. Just remember to allow others to use the same rationale in their arguments.
That's how your argument appeared to me. And why not include the following sentence, which gave my reasoning. I would say my Just Because is equivalent to your I Believe.

No comnent on you number of replies to this thread?
Old 05-10-2021, 05:37 PM   #116
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
It's not so much the screen as the object. Phones are too small and tablets are too heavy for extended reading.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:27 PM   #117
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No comnent on you number of replies to this thread?
It didn't strike me as all that interesting or relevant. Still doesn't. Sorry. But you have fun with it if you want. I don't mind.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-10-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:30 PM   #118
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It didn't strike me as all that interesting or relevant. Still doesn't. Sorry.
No need to apologize. If you don't get it, you don't get it.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #119
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Good thing nobody actually made that argument, then, huh?

The argument has always been "all photons are the same, so eink lighting is not Better™" .

But don't let that stop you from taking your victory lap.
What a strange post Why do you feel the need to be sarcastic? There was nothing in my post to merit it. Are you not feeling well?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:10 AM   #120
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Personally I have a different take on the brightness issue, which is that it isn't possible to get the eInk brightness on my device low enough. I read at night in the dark, and can get my phone brightness much much lower, with better contrast, than my eInk device, make it much more comfortable to read on.

If I were reading outside in daylight, I would prefer an eInk reader, but at night I find a OLED reader greatly preferable.

Last edited by murraypaul; 05-11-2021 at 06:20 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote