Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Can BookDesigner produce an ebook that looks exactly like those from Connect?

I'm really curious to know if the font - whatever that font is - can be put onto my computer so that I can make it the preferred font for BookDesigner.

I'm talking about the EXACT same look.

Does anyone know the name of that font?

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The books from the CONNECT store use the resident TrueType fonts in the Reader. They are Dutch 801 and Swiss 721 from Bitstream.

There are several collections of Bitstream fonts available from retailers on the web. I picked up my copy of Bitstream fonts some time ago in the "Bitstream 500 Font CD". I am sure that there are current collections at a reasonable price still available. They were included for a time (and may still be, I'm not sure) as part of Corel Draw and Word Perfect packages from Corel.

Most fonts for the PC or Mac come as a group of four related fonts including regular, italic, bold, and bold italic. The Reader has only one base (or regular) font installed and derives the other versions from this base font. Windows and OSX will do the same if the other files are missing. However, the resulting italic will look close but may differ slightly between the computer and the Reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib
I'm really curious to know if the font - whatever that font is - can be put onto my computer so that I can make it the preferred font for BookDesigner.

I'm talking about the EXACT same look.
I am not a fan of the layout of books from Connect.com. I think they use way too much margin forcing me to flip pages more often than my poor thumb can deal.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
A better question, why make books look like that with great big margins and little tiny type?
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
A decent enough question, and I'm not sure why. Personally, when using BookDesigner, I like to use 35 pixel margins, and could easily stand 25.

I must confess to liking some measure of margin; just my personal preference.

And overall, I think BookDesigner produces better books than the Connect store books I've bought so far. Though it has taken some practice, and I'm still learning.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert