Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
zarquon
zarquon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Should I replace my Classic with a Simple Touch?

Hi all. I've got a Barnes & Noble member coupon for $25 off on the STR that I've been sitting on all month, trying to convince myself that I have no need to replace my perfectly good original Nook, but every time I play with one in the store, my resolve is weakened. I mean, for $75 it's just SO tempting. Would someone please convince me to go for it? Thanks...
zarquon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarquon View Post
Hi all. I've got a Barnes & Noble member coupon for $25 off on the STR that I've been sitting on all month, trying to convince myself that I have no need to replace my perfectly good original Nook, but every time I play with one in the store, my resolve is weakened. I mean, for $75 it's just SO tempting. Would someone please convince me to go for it? Thanks...
Get it, you'll have no regrets. Battery life is awesome (I charge once every 4 weeks, instead of every 4 days), it's smaller, lighter, more ergonomic, better screen (faster refresh, more contrast), better UI. Really, it's a no brainer; if you like the classic, you'll love the NST.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I agree with everything afv said. Get the Touch!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
zarquon
zarquon began at the beginning.

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was hoping someone would say! My coupon expires at the end of the month, so I think I'll go to B&N and pick one up tomorrow. I had pretty much decided in any case, I guess I was just looking for some positive reinforcement...
zarquon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Definitely get it. I resisted for awhile but am so glad that I finally went for it!
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
You'll love it
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I've never had the Classic, but I own the Nook Touch.

This is my standard Reader for epubs. I highly recommend it. The only shortcoming (and this is my opinion) is an inability to directly delete files and a wonky Bookshelf. Other than these two issues, the Reader feels great and files load quickly. I have over 1,000 ebooks on it.

I use my Kindle 3 for everything else, and I love it, too.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I also had the classic, I love the NT much more. If nothing else, the improvements to battery life and the page turn speed are huge.

My only wish is sometimes I wish I could turn off the touch-to-turn page feature (I really prefer the buttons most of the time).
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
You definitely won't regret it. I have the nook classic and the Sony 650. I never use my classic any more. My library has loaded nooks to check out. I was on a waiting list for the nook simple touch--just curious to try it out. I've had use of the NookST for a couple days now, and I really like it a lot. Not sure that I like it more than my 650, but definitely much better than then nook classic. The form factor and interface are hands down better than the nook classic.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
randyp1234
randyp1234 began at the beginning.

My wife was forced to make this switch when something happened to the screen on her classic. Over all I think she likes it but her complaints are that the touch to turn the page is too sensitive, she misses always having the clock in the corner, and the fact that the library will only display just a few books rather than the larger list like the classic is almost a deal breaker for her.
randyp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Yeah I've noticed the sensitivity as well. I mostly find it nice because I can barely even feather the screen and it'll turn the page. The downside is, I tend to turn pages like that a lot, and sometimes with a super light touch I accidently double touch from my finger twitching a little and it'll do two page turns. A normal touch/tap and I never run in to that issue.

It would be nice if there were more customization options, like you mentioned being able to choose having the clock always displayed would be a nice option. Also changing from battery symbol to straight up % remaining would also be nice. The in reader battery indicator is just woefully inaccurate. Anything less than 100% (or I think maybe 99%) and it shows what looks like about 3/4ths charge.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The nook touch is as much a user friendly advance over the nook original as the nook original is over paper. No way you won't be happy with the switch. And at 99 bucks, how can you go wrong?

There are things I wish it did that it doesn't, but I can accomplish most of them by rooting (if I ever get really motivated)...like being able to download directly from my home server over wifi, being able to directly delete books, that sort of thing.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
randyp1234
randyp1234 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyp1234 View Post
My wife was forced to make this switch when something happened to the screen on her classic. Over all I think she likes it but her complaints are that the touch to turn the page is too sensitive, she misses always having the clock in the corner, and the fact that the library will only display just a few books rather than the larger list like the classic is almost a deal breaker for her.
After using it for a couple weeks she says it's a good upgrade and is happy with it. She's still not happy with the library list but is used to the page turns. Now if she could just delete from the device.......
randyp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyp1234 View Post
After using it for a couple weeks she says it's a good upgrade and is happy with it. She's still not happy with the library list but is used to the page turns. Now if she could just delete from the device.......
Root it for her and install this homescreen for her it has a way better library
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1500381

I don't use it as I prefer using coolreader and folders on my touch and use calibre to set it up.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote