Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
tylerzambori
tylerzambori began at the beginning.

Device: PC
how do I make a backup copy of a kindle book?

hi,

I have Kindle for PC, and nowhere does it give me this ability.
I looked in the file folder in Windows, and that book has no file
in that sub-directory.

So I can't find the file, and the software won't let me.
What are they doing, keeping the book on their own servers?

Thanks!
tylerzambori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, tylerzambori

If you bought the book from Amazon, you can't........without stripping it first.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm a little puzzled by this. Could you elaborate on why DRM prevents you from making a backup?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I remember another thread that identified the folder name for books on the PC.

Your other option is to go to your "Manage Your Kindle" page on Amazon and download your book again to your PC - putting it in whatever folder you want.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You can make a backup copy of your Kindle ebooks, either by copying the files via USB from the Kindle to your PC or by redownloading them to your computer (as poohbear_nc suggests).

However, these copies are locked to your Kindle via DRM (encryption). So if you get another Kindle, these files won't work on it. However, if you find your Kindle's PID it is possible to strip the DRM for a "device neutral" backup.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
tylerzambori

I don't have a kindle, I have a PC. I cannot see any hint of a folder
with books in it, in the kindle sub-directory. What could it be called,
where could it be placed?

I already tried re-downloading it, and it only downloads it to
"my kindle for PC" which is where it already was. I have no other
options.

I'm not going to buy any more kindle books. This is ridiculous.

The kindle for PC software does not give me any options to copy anything anywhere! yes, I bought it from Amazon. I am not liking them today.

What is a PID? How do I "strip" the book? Copyright issues are getting
really ridiculous these days. I should have bought the book in print.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerzambori View Post
I don't have a kindle, I have a PC. I cannot see any hint of a folder
with books in it, in the kindle sub-directory. What could it be called,
where could it be placed?

I already tried re-downloading it, and it only downloads it to
"my kindle for PC" which is where it already was. I have no other
options.

I'm not going to buy any more kindle books. This is ridiculous.

The kindle for PC software does not give me any options to copy anything anywhere! yes, I bought it from Amazon. I am not liking them today.

What is a PID? How do I "strip" the book? Copyright issues are getting
really ridiculous these days. I should have bought the book in print.
Do a "Search" on your PC for a book title - this will lead you to the folder.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
tylerzambori

I tried doing a search too, on *all* the hard drives.

Ok, I found an indirect way to do it. I just copied the entire kindle
for PC folder to another drive, sent a shortcut to the desktop,
clicked on the new shortcut, and it was there.

But this is ridiculous. I'm going to go back to buying most of my books
from small dealers.

Thanks for trying everyone!

Last edited by tylerzambori; 02-12-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?

"The books are then stored in the My Kindle Content folder in My Documents"

Found this in another thread.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
What is a PID? How do I "strip" the book?
There are a couple of scripts that can produce a DRM-free K4PC ebook, but the easiest to use is unswindle.pyw and it will even find the ebook for you and ask where to put the DRM-free version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I use Kindle for PC and it stores all the books I get in My Documents under a folder which I think is called My Kindle Content - all you need to do is copy this folder elsewhere for a backup.

I back all mine up onto a hard-drive and it makes no odds about whether they have drm or not - they are backed up.

So no need to go back to buying print books because once you know where the books are stored it's very easy
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
tylerzambori

Thank you everyone, that worked.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Thank you everyone, that worked.
Glad it worked

Bear in mind that Kindle for PC is still a BETA product so hopefully there will eventually be many more improvements to it.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote