Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Apple iTablet: the story continues

From CNet news article: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...orsPicksArea.0

Quote:
The Apple tablet is threatening to approach Yeti status, but here's an indication that it will turn out to be real: the company has told some of its key developers to prepare versions of their iPhone apps that will work on a device with a larger screen, in time for an event next month.

Add that to the news that Apple has reportedly booked the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco "for several days in late January," according to the Financial Times, and it's pretty easy to connect the dots. It's a very good bet we're getting a look at this thing within the next 30 days or so.

A mobile industry source tells me developers have been told that the mystery device will be shown off at the event only, but won't be ready to ship (Dan Frommer at Alley Insider relays the same news).
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I think the biggest problem they're going to have it living up to the hype over the last 9 months. If it doesn't do everything that everyone has already said it was going to do then people will be disappointed. On the other hand it is Apple, so it will be cool if nothing else

I'm very interested in seeing this mythical device. I bet it is going to be seen next month because after tomorrow the elves will have some free time to work on it, then they just have to line up the unicorns to deliver it
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I think the biggest problem they're going to have it living up to the hype over the last 9 months. If it doesn't do everything that everyone has already said it was going to do then people will be disappointed. On the other hand it is Apple, so it will be cool if nothing else

I'm very interested in seeing this mythical device. I bet it is going to be seen next month because after tomorrow the elves will have some free time to work on it, then they just have to line up the unicorns to deliver it
Don't forget the incredible hype over the iPhone, both before it was announced, and then in the 6 months before it shipped. I think they ended up ok anyways
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I never got that the hype about the "iTablet". There will probably be other, less expensive, tablets.
Most of time apple products just don't fit me.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have a feeling that if anything does actually come up it is going to be hella expensive
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
According to Ars Technica Steve Jobs was heavily involved with the development and is very happy with the tablet.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It does look more and more like this is actually going to come out.

I'm very interested in seeing what it does. I'm skeptical an apple tablet will suit my needs in a tablet, but if nothing else it should spur a bunch more tablets from other companies.

I'll really want something inbetween a PDA and a full fledged tablet/slate PC.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post

more like 9-years... My money is that this "tablet" will be at most a 5" panel, if it ever does come to exist. That is the only way Apple can become a competitor in the market for customers other than the blinded faithful who buy anything "Steve Mobs" tells them they need.

Elves and unicorns indeed!! You know Mobs only employs demons, imps and kobalds!!

Still, it would be an interesting device that could light a fire under the rear ends of other device makers. Look now there is even a first for the Kindle with the new crossword puzzle app...if Amazon opens the platform, finally, that could really throw a wrench into the "Mobs" plan...

BTW, the "Mobs" thing is a joke referring to an episode of The Simpson's where Lisa gets a "Mapple MyPod"...hehehehe...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
More fuel to this fire on CNN Money:

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....blet-in-march/

They're saying a $600 price point - I was expecting closer to 8 or 9. And all that assumes there ever IS such a device.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Don't stop believing
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Our score thus far:

Unicorns, Zero
Virgins, Zero

What do you expect when mythical creatures are involved.

I'll believe in Apple iTablets, large or small, when I see one. I probably won't buy one, since I generally loathe Apple products[1], but I'll believe in it if I see one.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

[1] To preclude nattering nabobs:
a) overpriced
b) overdesigned
c) overhyped
d) not particularly innovative
e) overmarketed (evangelists, really?)
f) bad color choices (white or light colors, for a device you carry around and get skin oil all over it?)
g) I hate WIMP GUI's. I need a shell or console window once in a while.
h) limited software selection (applicable mostly to their computers)
i) poor interface design (applicable mostly to the iPhone/Touch)
j) overcontrolled. Jobs is some kind of paranoid or something.
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Rumors boost Apple stock

As a side note to this circus, from CNet news, http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10421795-37.html:

Quote:
But being as it's Christmas Eve and all, we'll go out on a limb and offer you this nugget anyway. Apple's stock closed Thursday at an all time high of $209.04, up 6.94 points (3.43 percent) in a shortened day of trading on unconfirmed rumors that the company might unveil a long-awaited portable tablet computer next month.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
ekaser
Opinion Artiste

iSlate rumor

And supposed evidence (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/24/...called-islate/) that Apple purchased the domain name islate.com in 2007.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #14
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I have a feeling that if anything does actually come up it is going to be hella expensive
Hw S ?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #15
JanieGirl
JanieGirl began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
If there is such a thing as the Apple Tablet, it won't be released to the public until Fall 2010 and after
JanieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote