Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-17-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
icaria
icaria began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can Series number be more than one number?

Hi,

Hope I'm making sense here....

Currently the series number in Calibre is only one number, but some books actually have more than one book inside.

Was wondering if there is a way to change it from just being one number to say, for example, series 1 & 2 or series 1 to 3 to indicate that there are more than one book from the series included in that "book'?

Thanks!
icaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #2
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
One possible solution is to work with digits.

Series 1
Series 2.34
Series 5
Series 6.7

In this case sorting will work accurate too.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
icaria

Hmmm...

I just tried with a book that contained series 8 to 10. I tried 8.9.10 but looks like I can only go to 2 decimals. So I guess the only option with the above solution would be 8.10
Old 12-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Yes. The Series number is stored in the database as a floating point number. This means that it can contain a single decimal point, but no other non-numeric characters.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by icaria View Post
Hmmm...

I just tried with a book that contained series 8 to 10. I tried 8.9.10 but looks like I can only go to 2 decimals. So I guess the only option with the above solution would be 8.10
Except that will fail as trailing 0's are trimmed: 8.1
I would use 8.91 (implied 0)
or 8.99 for 'starts at 8'
(then the next sorted might be:11.99 )
.99 is my flagged value

I also have changed from: 8.9 to 8.09 for full series numbers
so I can insert mid series issues: 8.5
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by icaria View Post
Hmmm...

If you use epubs the best way is just use epub split plugin to split the omnibus to individual books. I prefer to do that as it allows me to put in short stories that might fall between the omnibus in the correct order.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #7
icaria

Thanks guys for providing all the different ideas! I'll have to see what suits me best, I guess. Would have just loved to be able to just put something like 8-10 or 8&9 etc. But I can understand why that wouldn't be possible.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
For every book contained in an omnibus, I add an empty book (Add Books > Add Empty Book) as a placeholder. Set the title, make sure it has the proper series and number, then I make a note in the comments that the book is contained within Such-and-Such other book. (I also use "Placeholder" and "In Omnibus" tags, and tag the omnibus as "Omnibus").

I really like the Add Empty Book feature of Calibre. I also use it as a wishlist (tagging empty books I want with a "Wishlist" tag).
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
icaria

Besides using the digits, I've also installed the epub split plug-in. I have to say, I really liked the epub split plug-in which I now use to split the omnibus to produce individual books whilst keeping the original omnibus intact. Thanks everyone!