Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
IGraham
IGraham began at the beginning.

Device: none
Search and relapse

Bear with me the explanation/request may be non to understandable

In Edit bulk metadata and Search and relapse in the Authors column I have a number of rows as below - and similar for other authors

R. A. Salvatore - [FORGOTTEN REALMS THE LEGEND OF DRIZZT 04]
R. A. Salvatore - [FORGOTTEN REALMS THE LEGEND OF DRIZZT 05]
R. A. Salvatore - [FORGOTTEN REALMS THE LEGEND OF DRIZZT 06]
Etc
Etc

I want to be able to do two things - yes is two separate things but depending upon circumstances
1. Delete all except the authors name - how do I handle the consecutive numbers
2. Keep the Authors name in the Authors column but move the rest to the series column - would be nice to get rid of the brackets

Does anyone know if these can be done

Thanks for any help
IGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGraham View Post
Bear with me the explanation/request may be non to understandable

In Edit bulk metadata and Search and relapse in the Authors column I have a number of rows as below - and similar for other authors

R. A. Salvatore - [FORGOTTEN REALMS THE LEGEND OF DRIZZT 04]
R. A. Salvatore - [FORGOTTEN REALMS THE LEGEND OF DRIZZT 05]
R. A. Salvatore - [FORGOTTEN REALMS THE LEGEND OF DRIZZT 06]
Etc
Etc

I want to be able to do two things - yes is two separate things but depending upon circumstances
1. Delete all except the authors name - how do I handle the consecutive numbers
2. Keep the Authors name in the Authors column but move the rest to the series column - would be nice to get rid of the brackets

Does anyone know if these can be done

Thanks for any help
Why would you bother if you want a relapse?

any quantity of sequential numbers in regex mode: \d+
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
IGraham

Hello

Really i asked two separate questions, it just seemed a little absurd to have two threads

So
In one circumstance i want to delete
In another i want to separate and move

Knowing how to do both will allow me to cover different circumstances
Get it ?

regex mode: \d+
??
That's probably what I'm looking for as part of an answer, but at the moment i don't know what it is/does or how to apply, and I'd rather not mess up what i have experimenting

So if anyone 'can' help
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
IGraham

ok
relapse?
spell checkers are wonderful things - especially if you bother to look at the suggested word
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Calibre has great support for search and replace using "Regular Expressions". This is what you use to populate series and series no from the authors field, and to clean up the authors field.

Before you start, make sure that you have a good backup of all books, and that you are comfortable with restoring the backup if needed. There is no undo here. None! You have been warned...

The procedure is done in four steps.

1. Identify and select all books with the same naming structure.
2. Create a RegExp to match the series part of the current authors field. Copy the match into the series field.
3. Create a RegExp to match the series number part of the current authors field. Copy the match into the series no field.
4. Create a RegExp to match the actual authors part of the authors field. Replace the current authors field with the match.

Done!

There are several threads here on this and similar topics. Also about RegExp. Here is one example that may help a little.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192415

Last edited by Adoby; 12-13-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert