Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Kindle for PC: The latest version will not start!

After a frustrating hour or so last night of Googling, uninstallling, reinstalling, and the rest, I finally discovered that there was nothing wrong my setup (i.e. no software or hardware conflicts), and thus there was nothing I was doing to prevent the latest K4PC app from running on my Windows XP SP3 lappy.

My woes began when the app asked me to update. Sure! I thought - why not! After it had downloaded and installed this update, it tried to boot but couldn't get past 'initialising'. Removing the program was no use. I did find one or two threads discussing problems with the latest version, but nothing else.

As soon as I reverted back to and older version of the app (downloaded from an archive site) I was back to being able to view and buy books again!

Anybody else experiencing problems with the latest release? Is there a known solution to my problem? Am I missing out on much?
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Yay! I'm not alone!

I have the same problem, only I'm running Win7.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
K4PC has had many reported problems running on laptops with XP or Win7. I could never get it to run on my Asus with Win7. I even contacted Amazon - which blamed the problem on a firewall setting in Win7 that I never could locate.
No problems on my Transformer w/Android.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
warrinj
ebook dabbler
warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.warrinj once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle2 Int, iPad2, iPhone5c
Windows XP SP3 on a Dell laptop. Downloaded update 1.6.1.32800 for k4pc thrice and each failed, even with uninstalls, etc. CS email reply was generic and no help. Decided to try unregistering k4pc from Amazon, then installing and re-registering. It worked for me.

Not that k4pc is that much use or interest; just did not like a non-working artifact lying around.
warrinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
^ I'm using a now (admittedly ageing, but much beloved) Dell Inspiron. I couldn't get the software to work even after deregisterting and reinstalling. I can run the old version though.

I use it to buy books that I strip of DRM, convert to EPUP, and then sideload onto my Sony Reader. I don't buy many though (I don't in locking in customers), but there are some occasions where I cannot get a book elsewhere, and I can't bring myself to pirate it. (There's a lot of poorly formatted junk out there; besides, I don't mind paying if it's a fair price.)
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Hi everyone,

I've already been sending some troubleshooting data to Amazon. I'm going to send them a link to this thread.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
avi2011
avi2011 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I had the same problem. Unable to install Kindle for PC. It crashes at the last stages of the installation.
avi2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:54 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just for variety, it's working absolutely fine for me. Two different Dell laptops, running 64-bit Windows 7.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I must correct myself. My Kindle for PC has just tried to update itself to 1.6.1, got as far as displaying the Kindle logo and saying "Initialising...", and then "Kindle has stopped working". I've uninstalled and reverted to the previous version and all is OK again.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-29-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Hmm... laptops. If I was a betting man, I'd wager it had something to do with a lot of the extra crypto garbage that gets installed with most Windows wireless NIC drivers. That's no excuse for why they didn't catch it before releasing the latest version, but it's certainly where I would look first if I were Amazon (and were ready to accept that there's a trending issue regarding laptops).

If there are any experimenters among you... uninstall your wireless card drivers (completely) and remove the wireless device from the device manager and see if the latest K4PC will work (connected to the internet with an ethernet cable).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Is 1.6.1 working for you, DD?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's working fine for me on a PC (XP, Vista, OS X, Linux), but I don't currently have a laptop to try it on.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Strange. I've gone back to 1.6.0 which is working fine.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool works fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must correct myself. My Kindle for PC has just tried to update itself to 1.6.1, got as far as displaying the Kindle logo and saying "Initialising...", and then "Kindle has stopped working". I've uninstalled and reverted to the previous version and all is OK again.
1.6.1 is working fine here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Hmm... laptops. If I was a betting man, I'd wager it had something to do with a lot of the extra crypto garbage that gets installed with most Windows wireless NIC drivers. That's no excuse for why they didn't catch it before releasing the latest version, but it's certainly where I would look first if I were Amazon (and were ready to accept that there's a trending issue regarding laptops).

If there are any experimenters among you... uninstall your wireless card drivers (completely) and remove the wireless device from the device manager and see if the latest K4PC will work (connected to the internet with an ethernet cable).
it's on a toshiba laptop and i am using the wireless ethernet connection.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Is anyone else NOT having problems with 1.6.1 on a laptop?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote