Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

A badly formatted book or bad KePub rendering?

I just purchased from KoboBooks.com No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Admittedly this ePub is not formatted very well, but take a look at the attached photo comparison between viewing this book on my Kobo Touch and my Sony 350.

On the KT I've got dozens (perhaps hundreds) of occurences of pages that contain only one paragraph. There is no apparent reason for this as there are no noticeable section breaks, plus the Sony 350 doesn't display them like this. The 350 seems to get it correct while the KT doesn't. These ridiculous page breaks also are not occuring on the mobi version I bought at Amazon.com for my Kindle. Oddly, the mobi version converted to ePub does not show them on the KT.

This is my first purchase of a kePub, and perhaps my last if this is a typical issue. Anyone else seeing this issue? Hopefully it is just a very poorly formatted ePub due to publisher ignorance or sloppiness. I'm hoping it is.

Notice the horrible right margin on the 350 and how the endnotes don't use a numerical hyperlink but instead randomly use a part of a sentence. Sometimes you just want to roll up a newspaper and smack the publisher in the nose then rub their nose in the mess they made!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad-book.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	655.3 KB
ID:	73901  

Last edited by jswinden; 07-06-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Does the adobe ePub perform the same way as the kepub?
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Not exactly sure what you are asking, but let me make a guess: Are you asking if I sideloaded the ePub I downloaded to my PC to use with my Sony to the Kobo Touch to compare it with the kePub I downloaded via WiFi directly to the KT? If so, no, but let me give that a try.

EDIT: On my KT I cannot open the Adobe ePub downloaded to my PC then sideloaded to my KT. I get a message stating the Adobe DRM is not authorized for the Adobe ID (associated with the KT I assume?). Time to strip that damn Adobe DRM and try again!!!

Last edited by jswinden; 07-06-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Are you asking if I sideloaded the ePub I downloaded to my PC to use with my Sony to the Kobo Touch to compare it with the kePub I downloaded via WiFi directly to the KT? If so, no, but let me give that a try.
That is exactly what I am asking. From what I can see the ePub from adobe will render pretty much exactly like on the sony, because they use the same adobe engine. the kepub engine is different.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Okay I stripped the DRM (I bought it so no big deal) and then I copied it to the Kobo Touch and it displays the way it should and similar to the Sony, but better because the KT allows more control over text.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-06-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

When I purchased the book I tried to use my Welcome to Kobo 20% book discount only to be told that the publisher (Simon & Schuster) would not allow it to be used.

On the bright side, this is a very well written book and I highly recommend it.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-06-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
To make this even worse, when i purchased the book I tried to use my Welcome to Kobo 20% book discount only to be told that the publisher (Simon & Schuster) would not allow it to be used.

On the bright side, this is a very well written book and I highly recommend it even though I cannot recommend the kePub version.
Can you tell me what font you were using and how many notches above the minimum you had your size/spacing and margins?
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

The Adobe ePub version I sideloaded does have endnote linking capability afterall. The problem is that it is a bit flaky. One time a press on the link doesn't work but does turn the page. The next time it might work, but it always takes about 10 seconds to retrieve the endnote. That is unacceptable of course.

I notice that clicking an endnote link in the kePub will retrieve the endnote more quickly, but it also invokes the Kobo syncing mechanism which slows everything down. While the Kobo is phoning home to tell the mothership I just went to an endnote, some screen touches don't seem to work. Only after the syncing icon in the upperleft screen disappears can I press Back to return to the page whence I came. That too is unacceptable as it will take up way too much time.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-06-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
Can you tell me what font you were using and how many notches above the minimum you had your size/spacing and margins?
I was using a sideloaded font, Segoi UI. Out of curiousity I just switched to another sideloaded font (Lexia DaMa) and the extra page breaks went away. I tried a couple of system fonts and they too work correctly. Interesting that Segoi UI doesn't work correctly as far as page breaks go.

Font: Segoi UI
Font Size: +6
Line Spacing: +1
Margins: 0
Justification: On
Kobo Styling: Off
Old 07-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
Dave@Kobo
Dave@Kobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
This is a known issue when justification is on. Can you try it with left justification or off?

Last edited by Dave@Kobo; 07-06-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Dave@Kobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@Kobo View Post
This is a known issue when margins is set to 0.
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

I'm happy that changing a font solved the page breaking display issue, although I like segoi UI better than Lexia DaMa the latter will do fine.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@Kobo View Post
This is a known issue when justification is on. Can you try it with left justification or off?
I set the Justification to Off, then to Left, then to On, but all failed to rectify the issue with Segoi UI selected as the font. Other fonts worked okay with all of the Justification settings.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #13
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Quote:
Okay I stripped the DRM (I bought it so no big deal) and then I copied it to the Kobo Touch and it displays the way it should and similar to the Sony, but better because the KT allows more control over text.
This is a little off-topic, but did you try to open the .kepub with Sigil or any other EPUB editor?

It would be interesting to see what difference there is between a normal EPUB and a non-standard Kobo EPUB. Perhaps one could buy regular EPUB and apply some modifications to it (source code, not just file ending) as to make the reader believe this is a .kepub, so dictionary/highlighting etc. are working. At the same time you would be retaining the original, more versatile and future-proof standard EPUB so you can read it on another device in 5 or 10 years without problems.

Still waiting for my own reader Otherwise I'd tried this myself already.

Last edited by Benjamin Buford; 07-07-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
A purchased kEpub, while it is still a renamed ZIP file, has the sub-files encrypted
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Buford View Post
It would be interesting to see what difference there is between a normal EPUB and a non-standard Kobo EPUB. Perhaps one could buy regular EPUB and apply some modifications to it (source code, not just file ending) as to make the reader believe this is a .kepub, so dictionary/highlighting etc. are working.
I've not read anything official, but if you read the various postings in this forum written by the Kobo people there are plenty of hints that Kobo will make "dictionary/highlighting etc." available for all ePubs including sideloaded ones in a future upgrade. It might not happen, but it sure seems like they are at least seriously thinking about it.