Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Jetbook and DRM

My new Jetbook arrived today. Since I purchased it online and not at BB&B it does not have the mobi or epub. But, considering the DRM, I don't know how worthwhile that is. In the mean time, updating the firm ware looks a bit tricky. Looks like I would have to get an SD card and reader first for the format as well as another to transfer my data to from the book. If I screwed it up, it would just give me an excuse to get another from BB&B. Even with just the text and pdf I am happy. I am an online college student and I will be able to down load my papers onto it as text files and then edit them at my liesure.

I had to down load a couple books. One from Many Books dot net. It was a text file and reads very well on the device. The other was a pdf file. Have to read it in land scape. All the folders come in cyrillic inspite of the fact I went into settings and changed it to English. Anyone know how I can change those folders to read in English? Anyway, I found one with classics in English and renamed it so I can recognize it. Until I sit down to figure things out, my books will be going into that file.

I did not appreciate how small it was until I held it. The screen is really crisp. We have flourescent lighting in our house, and the screen has a nice silver hue. So, it begs to be read. Even with the limited format, I will be looking for excuses to carry it with me and read on it. Although, I have a feeling my Sony 505 may still be my primary gadget. Every third or fourth book I read is a classic and that will be my excuse to read the jetbook. I really do like it!
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Hi Journier,
Congratulations on your new jetBook reader! Just a couple of comments that I hope will help-
1. You don't have to update the firmware right away. In fact, there is a new firmware version about to be released, and it may be wise to just wait until then to upgrade. HTML will also be supported, and mobi + epub (non-DRM) are already supported. There are step-by-step instructions on how to upgrade firmware, so it shouldn't be too bad (I never have done it though! ;-)
2. You do realize that although you can view your txt docs on the jetBook, you cannot edit them on the jetBook?
3. Reset the device and try to set the language to English again - that is odd - perhaps you *do* need a firmware upgrade? I take it the mail-order was not from the US.

Good luck, hope all goes well!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Congrats on your new jetBook. I got mine less than a month ago and am really enjoying it. I had to upgrade the firmware as I read .mobi almost exclusively. Following the directions found here on MR and on the ECTACO website it went very smoothly with no issues.

One note (and someone please verify this info): I don't think you need to get a card reader as you can plug the jetBook into the computer and put the files onto the card (inserted in the jetBook) from there.

Good reading!

Last edited by vsalvaggio; 07-21-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Can you not just go into the file manager and rename the folders? The language setting on the device probably only affects the UI prompts and code-page. The folders just display the folder names on the storage.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

supported formats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Hi Journier,
Congratulations on your new jetBook reader! Just a couple of comments that I hope will help-
1. You don't have to update the firmware right away. In fact, there is a new firmware version about to be released, and it may be wise to just wait until then to upgrade. HTML will also be supported, and mobi + epub (non-DRM) are already supported. There are step-by-step instructions on how to upgrade firmware, so it shouldn't be too bad (I never have done it though! ;-)
2. You do realize that although you can view your txt docs on the jetBook, you cannot edit them on the jetBook?
3. Reset the device and try to set the language to English again - that is odd - perhaps you *do* need a firmware upgrade? I take it the mail-order was not from the US.

Good luck, hope all goes well!
According to the manual the only formats supported on the device are pdf and txt. However, I will wait until there is a better suited firmware available. Thank you every body for the kind support!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:16 AM   #6
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Many other formats....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journier View Post
According to the manual the only formats supported on the device are pdf and txt. However, I will wait until there is a better suited firmware available. Thank you every body for the kind support!
There are many other formats supported at this time! The Ectaco site lists: .txt, .pdf, .fb2, .jpg, .epub, .mobi, .prc and .rtf + .bmp, .MP3...

My .rtf files display very well. The firmware release expected quite soon will extend support (and dictionary I think) to HTML as well.

Try out some files and see....
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:28 AM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I think the manual isn't keeping up with the firmware releases.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:24 AM   #8
Journier
Groupie

I purchase the device from here in the states. Also, the files are all in Russian as well as the books in the files. I don't really need all those books, as I am downloading my own after all. So I think I will delete them and rename the files. Thanky all for your help.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I think the manual isn't keeping up with the firmware releases.
Nope, I don't think the manual has really been updated since the initial release.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
Nope, I don't think the manual has really been updated since the initial release.
Manuals! We don't need no stinking manuals. (Unless you've seen "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", you won't get it.)
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Manuals! We don't need no stinking manuals. (Unless you've seen "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", you won't get it.)
Hey, my only issue with the manual is that I can't figure out how to change the dictionary globally. I can change it for the current document but there's no dictionary option under the settings menu where the manual says it is.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:31 PM   #12
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
Hey, my only issue with the manual is that I can't figure out how to change the dictionary globally. I can change it for the current document but there's no dictionary option under the settings menu where the manual says it is.
I seem to remember having a similar problem with the old firmware. I just looked at the beta firmware and the dictionary selection option is only on the Settings menu when you have a book open. I just tested and it is a global setting, not a book specific setting.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote