Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Star Trek - is this "official"?

Hi people,

I haven't yet seen the new Star Trek movie, but I'm a great fan of prequels so I'd like to ask you: Is this new Star Trek book they feature on Books On Board called Star Trek: The Original Series: Star Trek Movie Tie-In an "official" book? Is it the story on which the movie is based?
It keeps popping up in my head and in my inbox (thanx to the BoB Newsletter ) and I'd like to know if I'm getting the real stuff or if it's just something someone else cooked up.

Not sure how to explain - I don't like fanfiction, it messes up the "real" stories
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Looks real to me; it's on Kindle too:
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Orig.../dp/B0027G6X74

Alan Dean Foster does a lot of movie novelizations.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Yes, it's official. But it's not the book from which they made the movie. The movie is what the book was written from. And as the movie release was delayed from December 2008, Alan Dean Foster (the author) even got to see the whole completed film before finishing the novel. And, being an Alan Dean Foster adaption, it shouldn't be just a scene-by-scene description of the movie, but have additional insights to the characters and situations.

It's next on my list to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Hi people,

I haven't yet seen the new Star Trek movie, but I'm a great fan of prequels so I'd like to ask you: Is this new Star Trek book they feature on Books On Board called Star Trek: The Original Series: Star Trek Movie Tie-In an "official" book? Is it the story on which the movie is based?
It keeps popping up in my head and in my inbox (thanx to the BoB Newsletter ) and I'd like to know if I'm getting the real stuff or if it's just something someone else cooked up.

Not sure how to explain - I don't like fanfiction, it messes up the "real" stories
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:35 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, just went to see the movie yesterday, I think I'll add the book to my list too.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Thanks for the explanation, guys.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:06 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, it's official. But it's not the book from which they made the movie. The movie is what the book was written from. And as the movie release was delayed from December 2008, Alan Dean Foster (the author) even got to see the whole completed film before finishing the novel. And, being an Alan Dean Foster adaption, it shouldn't be just a scene-by-scene description of the movie, but have additional insights to the characters and situations.

It's next on my list to read.
I just browsed it, and yes, it does contain extra insights and scenes. I'm looking forward to reading it!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alan Dean Foster's novelization of Alien is supposed to be very good as well, and Splinter of the Mind's Eye is a great look at what Star Wars "might have been", before Lucas changed everything.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Alan Dean Foster's novelization of Alien is supposed to be very good as well, and Splinter of the Mind's Eye is a great look at what Star Wars "might have been", before Lucas changed everything.
I haven't been able to find either of these books in ebook format. I checked fictionwise, BoB, and Amazon.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur

Yeah, Alien I'm sure is out of print, and Splinter was shunned for years in favor of "official" Star Wars novels.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, just went to see the movie yesterday, I think I'll add the book to my list too.
I might, too, if it wasn't priced at almost $12.00 for an e-book.

Foster's good, though... I'd recommend his work anytime.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
mores
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Alan Dean Foster's novelization of Alien is supposed to be very good as well
Okay, NOW you've got me interested

Gotsta check diz guy out!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Dean_Foster
Old 05-15-2009, 03:33 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post

Foster's good, though... I'd recommend his work anytime.
Which is about half of what I would pay for a pbook, so, that price is fine with me.

So far, I like the book very much. Book-Kirk is even more a rogue than movie-Kirk!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I bought it last week when they had there Star Trek special plus I got it with a 100% rebate
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote