Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Kobo Aura or Paperwhite 2?

Hi, I'm thinking of replacing my Paperwhite 2012, as the screen has been scratched. I have JBPatch installed on it, which means the margins are smaller, which is a really big thing for me. I've heard that one cannot install JBPatch on the Paperwhite 2, which would be a real bummer for me. On the other hand, the Kobo Aura has an annoying problem where the blocks of text jump up and down the page every time you change pages. Does anyone have any tips about which to go for?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
On the other hand, the Kobo Aura has an annoying problem where the blocks of text jump up and down the page every time you change pages.
I've never heard of that one. Do you have a reference?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
On the other hand, the Kobo Aura has an annoying problem where the blocks of text jump up and down the page every time you change pages.
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're describing here, because I'm having trouble visualizing this.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I have an Aura and I have no idea what this means either.

Yes, with some tweaks (but not 'jailbreaking') you can fiddle margins to be nonexistent on a Kobo, if that's important to you.

Whatever you buy, it needs a good case.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:17 AM   #5
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Sorry everyone, I didn't know what the phenomenon was actually called, but it is something to do with Widows and Orphans, where the bottom of the body of text doesn't stay at the bottom of the page. I think there is something to fix this however, so I may consider it. Is there any way to fix the margins on the new paperwhite? I had my paperwhite in a case, but it still got scratched, but how I do not know.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
If you mean that the Aura and Kobo e-readers in general do not always maintain a 100% consistent bottom border then, yes, it does happen on occasion, but it's a minor nuisance at the very worst in my opinion, and it seems to me that this primarily depends on the quality of epub you are using since it appears to be prevalent in some books but not others.

Personally, I think the Aura is a fantastic e-reader, but one thing to keep in mind if you're considering a jump from Kindle to Kobo is that any books you might have purchased through Amazon.com will not be available on the Kobo since they're separate "ecosystems". However, the Kobo can use epubs from any source, including the thousands of free, public domain books, so you're not locked into acquiring your literature from a single vendor.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Sorry everyone, I didn't know what the phenomenon was actually called, but it is something to do with Widows and Orphans, where the bottom of the body of text doesn't stay at the bottom of the page. I think there is something to fix this however, so I may consider it.
I think that was corrected with firmware updates, although I could be mistaken. If you always load your books using Calibre, you can also add a command in your CSS and convert it before loading.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I chose the Kobo Aura. Very happy with my choice. If Amazon comes out with something brilliant next go around I may be convinced to switch. I love the idea of it keeping track of all the words I've looked up.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:59 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I chose the Kobo Aura. Very happy with my choice. If Amazon comes out with something brilliant next go around I may be convinced to switch. I love the idea of it keeping track of all the words I've looked up.
Just to add more grist to the decision making process ... Kobo Auras are $30 off ($109) at Kobo.com right now. (At least in the U.S.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote