Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2019, 12:52 AM   #271
minsik
minsik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O revision 5.
kobo aura and FW 12111. Seems that any annotations ie bookmarks doesnt remember the location. Always appears to then later on all bookmarks show 0% as a location. Is this a problem just with this unit or perhaps over several models and this version of firmware. First time i have noticed it.

Last edited by minsik; 02-24-2019 at 01:07 AM.
minsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:23 AM   #272
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by minsik View Post
kobo aura and FW 12111. Seems that any annotations ie bookmarks doesnt remember the location. Always appears to then later on all bookmarks show 0% as a location. Is this a problem just with this unit or perhaps over several models and this version of firmware. First time i have noticed it.
That is a long standing bug for epubs stored in the main memory of the device. It happens when you close and reopen the book. The location will change to whatever chapter the book reopens to and 0%. It doesn't affect kepubs, or for devices with an external SD card, any epubs on the card.

There is a simple workaround. In the "Digital Editions" directory, there is a directory called "Annotations". Remove that and replace it with a file called "Annotations".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2019, 04:01 AM   #273
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post

There is more concentration on static appearance, acquiring user behaviour and advertising than delivering what users think they are buying.
Thanks ! That's the perfect summary of the whole industry. Slow clap…
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #274
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by minsik View Post
I've seen that happen through the years with various firmware versions on my Kobo Glo and now the Glo HD. I used to mark all books I was reading with annotations for edits to fix the errors and typos when I was done so I used to notice it a lot. But I got tired of spending time fixing someone else's mess when I could be reading more, so I rarely use annotations now, so the bug doesn't bother me anymore.

But it's the firmware, not your device.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #275
please55
Connoisseur
please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: none
I can't tell if it has had to do with the devices, this latest firmware or the kobopatch mod but two devices so far (Clara HD) randomly report that the battery is at 1% even though the device has been recently charged and hasn't had much use. It will stay at 1% even though I can leave the device running for days after. I've also noticed that the time will randomly change. This is without turning off the device, just regular use. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Last edited by please55; 03-12-2019 at 01:28 PM.
please55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #276
Mingyar
Connoisseur
Mingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Mini/Aura H2O/Aura One LE / Tea Inkpad 3
Exactely the same on my Aura One LE with this last firmware patched.
Mingyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #277
Mingyar
Connoisseur
Mingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Mini/Aura H2O/Aura One LE / Tea Inkpad 3
A few clarifications. My usual practice is to connect the Kobo to Calibre almost every day, which means that it is always charged between 90% and 100%.
This is probably not the best for the battery, and the BMS, as I know it on other types of devices, needs a complete discharge followed by a complete recharge from time to time for a good cell balance.
So I stopped connecting the Kobo to the PC some time ago, waiting for the battery to drain as much as possible, trying to prevent it from draining completely, which is not good either.
The Kobo is currently in charge. I'll see if that solves the problem or not.

(This English version of my message is from an automatic translator www.DeepL.com/Translator)

Last edited by Mingyar; 03-14-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Mingyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:10 AM   #278
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingyar View Post
This is probably not the best for the battery, and the BMS, as I know it on other types of devices, needs a complete discharge followed by a complete recharge from time to time for a good cell balance.
That only applies to NiCd and to a lesser extend NiMH. It will have no effect for a Lithium Ion.
Also the Kobo and most ereaders use only a single cell.
Finally, for long term storage it's best that the charge level is 1/3 to 3/4 full in a cool place, above freezing.

Life of Lithium cells is related to purity of materials, good construction, elapsed time (even if not used) and the total current delivered, i.e. twenty discharges and charges of only 1/20th capacity is pretty much the same as one complete charge.

Any properly designed equipment using Lithium Ion / LiPoly has a circuit to:
1: Disconnect equipment if cell (or any cell in laptop pack) is too low.
2: Disconnect cell if it's too hot. (charge or discharge).
3: Disconnect charging if the cell is charged. Unlike Lead Acid or NiCd or NiMH there should not be a trickle charge. High capacity NiMH have the worst self discharge, Lead Acid the lowest, but Lithium cells are even lower.

Note NiMH or NiCd keep best in long term storage completely flat. Lead Acid store best without acid added (50 years possible) otherwise fully charged. Lithium rechargeable need stored in a cool place, never frozen at 1/3rd to 3/4 charged, however in a device they can be left fully charged as the circuit will slowly discharge it. For long storage you should put the device (ereader, tablet, phone etc) into power off rather than sleep.

Edit:
This site suggests partial discharge and recharge gives longer life on Lithium batteries than deep discharge:
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries
Which is the opposite to NiCd or NiMH. However Lead Acid, especially gel types are easily damaged by deep discharge.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-15-2019 at 04:15 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #279
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by please55 View Post
I can't tell if it has had to do with the devices, this latest firmware or the kobopatch mod but two devices so far (Clara HD) randomly report that the battery is at 1% even though the device has been recently charged and hasn't had much use. It will stay at 1% even though I can leave the device running for days after. I've also noticed that the time will randomly change. This is without turning off the device, just regular use. Anyone else have similar experiences?
Same with my Clara HD. Although I have immediately plugged in when this happens so I didn't know I could keep using it.
Could it be a particular patch? Maybe we could disable the patch at fault. Hmmmm......
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #280
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kndlewis View Post
Same with my Clara HD. Although I have immediately plugged in when this happens so I didn't know I could keep using it.
Could it be a particular patch? Maybe we could disable the patch at fault. Hmmmm......
I highly doubt this is due to a patch, as none touch anything to do with the battery info. My 3 Kobos are all patched and have not needed to be charged for the last 2 weeks (with WiFi off and ~1h reading per day), and are all reporting the battery level correctly.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #281
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
My Aura One is also patched and does not have this issue. Only the Clara. It first happened about a month ago and happened 3 times in 2 days! I did a full reset and lived without patches for a few weeks but there are some patches that I really like so I patched. A few weeks went by and it did this again yesterday. I'm not saying it's the patches but there is a bug in the Clara, in my Clara anyway and at least one other, according to this thread.
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #282
Suffolk Punch
Connoisseur
Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS T1, Kindle 4 NT, Kobo Touch, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is a long standing bug for epubs stored in the main memory of the device. It happens when you close and reopen the book. The location will change to whatever chapter the book reopens to and 0%. It doesn't affect kepubs, or for devices with an external SD card, any epubs on the card.

There is a simple workaround. In the "Digital Editions" directory, there is a directory called "Annotations". Remove that and replace it with a file called "Annotations".
I am seeing exactly this issue with my Clara HD just updated over WiFi to 4.12.12111 (13a6961059 12/11/18).

The Clara folder '/Digital Editions/Annotations' currently contains a folder per ebook I've started with an .annot text file that looks like it stores a bunch of xml per annotation/bookmark.

So, if I delete the folder 'Annotations' and replace by a file 'Annotations', will that lose all my current bookmarks?

Martin
Suffolk Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #283
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Punch View Post
Iif I delete the folder 'Annotations' and replace by a file 'Annotations', will that lose all my current bookmarks?
Martin
Maybe not.
(Make a copy of the folder if in doubt!)
Kobo seem to store them in two places. I did this on my Original H2O and on the S/H Kobo Touch N905C. Still works.
Also the Kobo Utilities copies my annotations. It's formatting is terrible, but that's quickly fixed in any text editor that can include "new lines" in a search.

It does fix a bug doing this. The replacement file simply stops the system creating subdirectories (folders) in the Annotations directory, thus deletion isn't enough.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #284
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Punch View Post
I am seeing exactly this issue with my Clara HD just updated over WiFi to 4.12.12111 (13a6961059 12/11/18).

The Clara folder '/Digital Editions/Annotations' currently contains a folder per ebook I've started with an .annot text file that looks like it stores a bunch of xml per annotation/bookmark.

So, if I delete the folder 'Annotations' and replace by a file 'Annotations', will that lose all my current bookmarks?
No, you won't lose your current bookmarks. They are also stored in the database.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #285
Suffolk Punch
Connoisseur
Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS T1, Kindle 4 NT, Kobo Touch, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, you won't lose your current bookmarks. They are also stored in the database.
Thanks (and thanks also to FrustratedReader). That worked.

Martin
Suffolk Punch is offline   Reply With Quote